Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
First Time Cable TV Hookup

We are at a campground that provides cable hookup. I've never hooked up the cable TV to the AS prior to this. I screwed the connector into the jack on the outside of the AS where it is supposed to be attached. And of course I attached the other end of the cable to the outlet provided. But I cannot get it to work.

Is there anything that needs to be done inside the trailer? Is there a way to check conductivity (if that's the correct term)? Any other suggestions?

Our AS is a 2009 FB Int.

If I could get it working my DW would be very happy!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Somewhere in the trailer is a little pushbutton switch with a red or green LED light and some cable TV connectors on it. This is the power supply for the booster amplifier in the TV antenna. Check your manual for details...

If the light is on, you are on the antenna setting. Push the switch to turn off the LED. Then the cable TV connection should work.

Then turn on the TV and scan for available channels.

That should do it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Change the source on your tv from Air to Cable. Then do a search for channels.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
On my AS, you also have to change the little coaxial cable connector that's under the dinette table (yours may be in a different location).

This was the case on my prior AS as well. I believe the antenna wiring is separate from the cable TV wiring. Therefore, when you have external cable TV connected to the trailer, you'll need to complete the circuit, so to speak. Otherwise, even if cable is going into the AS, it's not reaching your TV.

Under my dinette, there's a short length of coaxial cable. I have to disconnect one end and connect it to another receptacle above it. That completes the incoming loop from the external cable vs the external antenna.

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone will have a much better technical explanation!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
You guys are the best! I got it working and my DW is now happy, which makes me happy as well!

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I have a newer airstream so this may not be the same for you. My cable connection comes in to the TVs maybe through a splitter but behind my front TV is a outlet that has the cable coming through in a small push button switch with alight that indicates whether the booster is on Or off. For cable to work the light has to be off.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I have a newer airstream so this may not be the same for you. My cable connection comes in to the TVs maybe through a splitter but behind my front TV is a outlet that has the cable coming through in a small push button switch with alight that indicates whether the booster is on Or off. For cable to work the light has to be off.
That's what did it. I saw the green light and thought it meant that it was hooked up. I failed to see the little off/on push button. Sometimes it's the simple things and this was one of them!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I complained at two different campgrounds about the cable before I found the switch too. One of The campground owners was really patient and told me how to look for the switch. Once I found it it fixed my problem. Simple things...
Old 05-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Same problem here. New to Airstream life and still figuring things out.

I've camped only once where cable was offered ... couldn't get it to work.

Scanned for channels and all that ... without success.

Next time I'll check to be sure the little green light is dead.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
And don't forget to switch it back when you want to pickup channels over the air, like I did the first time!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Some places have a box that you hookup in side
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
One night we were in the same boat. Not newbies but veterans wold be a stretch, especially on the electronics (TV/BR/Stereo) config. I should also say I had the cable plate off for a peek behind the weekend before to see if the was 12V accessible there (future 12v TV connection).

It was a long drive and I was tired. Tried everything and I finally gave up. Figured I must have pulled off a plate connection and I'll revisit that theory at our destination.

At the destination all worked as it should. I can only surmise that in my haste in the dark, I had connected to the TT's satellite connection and not the cable connection. I have since capped that connection off.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
with Digital OTA TV ( Other the Air). push the button to turn the TV amplifier on. then on the TV scan for stations. Unlike the older analog TV, you just cant start browsing channels. The TV must discover and record what it finds.

depending on the TV, this many take up to 5-10 minutes each time you move
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Maple Valley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Somewhere in the trailer is a little pushbutton switch with a red or green LED light and some cable TV connectors on it. This is the power supply for the booster amplifier in the TV antenna. Check your manual for details...

If the light is on, you are on the antenna setting. Push the switch to turn off the LED. Then the cable TV connection should work.

Then turn on the TV and scan for available channels.

That should do it...
Thank you so much! I was so frustrated hooking it up last night. I turned off the power antennae and bingo. Works great!
jimmyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #15

2023 27' International
Poinciana , Florida
Angry For park cable the TV keeps Scanning Cable stations

We have a 2023 Interstate 27FB. We are new to airstream. We cannot get our TVs past the scan prompt when on cable option. It notifies us 137 channels were found then immediately the screen changes back and tells us to scan for channels. Kinda Crazy!! We tried our park neighbors source box,tried switching coaxial to satellite on outside of camper ( just in case it was wired backwards), tried turning off antenna booster and nothing helps. Any suggestions so we can watch some Cable TV?
JBojack is offline   Reply With Quote