Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Factory speaker wires in '77 Argosy?

I am in the process of changing out my roof air conditioner in my 1977 Argosy 24' double. I was looking into the space between the roof and the inside skin on the curb side of the hole. In the space with a bunch of 12 volt wires I found 2, two pair of black wires with one side of the 2 wire cable with a white tracer. They sure look like speaker wires to me, but I have no radio or radio antenna installed. If this is factory wiring for speakers where would the ends be found? If not speaker wires what are they for?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think the factory speaker location was on the inner skin aft of the windows on a 24' Twin. The Double may have had a different location to deal with the cabinetry on one side.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Argosy's were all made a bit different it seems. I rebuilt one last year which was made in California (and AS says all Argosy's were made in Ohio, but this one had a serial number from CA, and others have been identified with similar CA numbers). It also had fiberglass exterior end caps, very rare it seems.

On that 1975, 22' rear door unit, there were four sets of speaker wires, all white wire sets which looked like lamp cord, used in wiring household light fixtures. Two of the sets went to the upper area in the inner plastic end cap, one on each side. I put a radio and speakers in using those wires and locations. The other two wire sets went somewhere else in the trailer, but I have no idea where. This Argosy also came with the outside antenna pre installed, but neither the antenna or speakers were ever hooked up.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The wires I found looked like black lamp cord with one side having a white tracer. Where on a 77 Argosy would the radio be mounted? Then I could at least look for that end of the wires.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
The wires I found looked like black lamp cord with one side having a white tracer. Where on a 77 Argosy would the radio be mounted? Then I could at least look for that end of the wires.
In the ones I have seen and owned, the radio was always in the front upper cabinet over the dinette or couch. The wires on some were brought out into that compartment and on some were behind it, requiring it to be removed to get at the wires. 12 volts is generally also needed and available in that location from the reading lights on the sides.

Remember, Argosy's were different, there is no guarantee of what you will find, even from size to size, or year to year.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Portland , Oregon
Hi. We have a new-to-us 77 Minuet than we're redoing. It has what looks to be four factory installed speakers. I removed one yesterday and will be glad to take pictures of their location and what our wires look like in case it might be helpful. Need some opinions on what I can do with mine... Will post in a few hours.

Channon
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Portland , Oregon
P.S. newbie to forum, will get better at posting correctly
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #8

Portland , Oregon
There are four. One on each side of the wrap window, one next to the closet, and one over the stove (which is the one I took down). The ones on either side of the gaucho I would like to put a reading lamp. I'm guessing the LV wiring would not even light an LED, but maybe we could use what's there to pull through 110 wires? If anyone has done this would love a lead on the thread it can be found. VENTPORT, if these look at all like something you'd want, I will send them to you

Channon
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenaders View Post
There are four. One on each side of the wrap window, one next to the closet, and one over the stove (which is the one I took down). The ones on either side of the gaucho I would like to put a reading lamp. I'm guessing the LV wiring would not even light an LED, but maybe we could use what's there to pull through 110 wires? If anyone has done this would love a lead on the thread it can be found. VENTPORT, if these look at all like something you'd want, I will send them to you

Channon
If you're talking about replacing the old speaker location with a 12v LED light and using the speaker wire to carry the current from somewhere else, the speaker wire should absolutely be able to support the tiny amount of current required by a 12v LED. As long as the wire is undamaged (no shorts or discontinuity) it should serve well for the purpose.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Channon, thanks for trying to help. I have the full size, or older style Argosy. You have the Minute, which is not the same body. I do not think the speaker wiring will be the same. As for using the speaker wiring in yours to power some LED's, it should work just fine. The LED's draw very little power.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Since my last post I have found the speaker wires just behind the front wrap windows. I have not found the ends of any wires to the rear of the trailer. The radio ends must be behind the metal insides of the front endcap lockers. I have not cut a hole in them to find out. Is there an easy way to remove the insides of the endcap locker without wrecking it?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
I have the same issue with my '79 Argosy 6.0 Minuet. I have 2 speakers (they look factory) in the front on the upper sides of the dinette. I do not know where the ends of the wire leads terminate. I did not see where a radio may have been mounted and there are no loose wire ends. I looked in all the upper lockers and I do not have a front upper locker. The speaker covers are a two piece system. There is an outer trim ring with tabs that lock behind the inner piece. I do not want to force on the old plastic.

There is also an old antenna on the curb side in front of the door. Again, there is no lead inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy TT 3.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	205951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy TT 4.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	205952  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy TT 5.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	205953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy TT 1.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	205954  

WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Your speakers are right where I found the wires in mine. Only I had to remove the inside skin panel to find them.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
If you can get a service manual it will get you the location of where to find the wires ends. There is a page in the manual that gives measurements from certain points to find the wires in the walls. They will be taped to the inside of the exterior wall. Did this on my 1980 Caravella no factory radio called Airstream to confirm measurements. Then I drilled a hole in the inside skin bent a piece of wire and fished around till I hooked the wires. They where all 4 within a few inches of where I drilled the holes.