Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Experiences with Insignia (Best Buy Brand) TV?

I'm thinking of purchasing an Insignia 28" LED TV/DVD combo television.

Has anyone purchased an Insignia TV and can report on the experience?

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I have purchased several of them and not had any problems. They are a good TV and DVD for the price.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I Bought Vizio Razor with built in WIFI and Bluetooth at Sams Club and really like it.went with a 32"
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I currently have a 22 inch Insignia TV in my trailer. God picture quality. The sound was a bit weak so I put in a small USB powered sound bar.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It may be better to purchase a television and separate dvd player. That way, if one fails, it can be replaced without having to replace both parts.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Can only comment on best buy, cheapest but watch out for the restock fee, when you take the insurance, they determine unfixable due to lack of parts then replace under warranty insurance which ends with that tv, it doesn't transfer to the new one. After one year old top of line becomes bottom of line and you have to add money to get the new top of line tv. Just my experience yours might differ, mine was samsung and sony.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I looked at them when I wanted a new flatscreen for my trailer. They seemed OK, but I wound up going with Panasonic. I've been brand loyal to them for years, their parent company Matsushita makes TV's that we put in seatbacks at Boeing. And the picture was better than the Insignia. True, the Panasonic cost $30 more. But two years from now, I won't care about $30.

That being said, I've not personally heard anything really bad about them, and Best Buy does make some deals.

Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I guess what draws me to the Insignia is that it has a built in DVD player so if my Sony radio with DVD ever fails I've still got DVD capability. If it weren't for that I'd probably go with a Samsung 28" model. Mulitmedia car radios in the same form factor don't come with DVD players anymore. I guess that is why Airstream puts in dedicated Samsung BluRay players.

Kelvin
Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I'll also speak up for Vizio - have bought many of them for home, boat & RVs - reliable, good picture quality, the small ones are thin & light. And I think "combo" units are a bad idea, since the failure of one part dooms the whole thing. Plus, DVD is fast becoming obsolete in favor of streaming. Small combo TVs are heavy & thick, harder to mount out of the way in a trailer.

I have a portable DVD player that connects via USB to my tablet, which plays the DVD using VLC Media Player through HDMI to the TV. The small DVD player is easy to stow, and cheap at Fry's or online.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Something about the design of the Insignia TV/DVD combo are the input connections, they don't get in the way of the VESA mount that is attached to my AS wall. I looked at a Vizio 28 and I would have some issues plugging in an HDMI because my VESA mount has extensions that allow you to use differently spaced holes. I have some photos in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...tv-126215.html

I hope DVDs don't go away anytime soon but the writing is on the walls, Apple doesn't even include DVD players on their Macs. I don't use DVDs much but I do rent them at home and rip them so I can play them back at a later date from my wifes iPad or my Macbook when in the Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
For our brick-&-mortar house, we have Samsung, Vizio, Insignia, and Sharp TV's. Our Airstream came with a Sansui tv/dvd combo. The Samsung has the best picture, followed by the Insignia. The Vizio & Sharp are about even. The Sansui generates a picture that I do not care for, even when tweaked.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
I picked up a 19 inch opened box one for the trailer nothing missing . Had a great picture and is really 12 volts. Then got a 39 inch for the house picture was extremely blurry and dull took it back and got a Visio.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have a Samsung 24" TV with separate Sony BluRay player and Bose PC speakers with subwoofer. I prefer to have these systems separate in case one part breaks or I want to upgrade. However, the old Toshiba (tube) TV/DVD combo that we had in our Bambi for years, still works in our breakfast room at home.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have one now for several years. So far so good. Decent quality when playing discs and air pix are OK too, depending on the reception, of course. Also find the audio to be weak but we have lived with it so far.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Experiences with Insignia (Best Buy Brand) TV?

I have two Insignia TVs at home, and one in the AS. So far so good. The home Tvs are a couple a few months old, and the AS TV about a year.

The two home TVs that the insignias replaced were more name brand, higher end, and higher in the relative price at the time, but they only lasted about six years.

So, I bought cheap this time, they work fine for me.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
We picked up a 28" insignia with the DVD a few months ago, got a good price on it. Picture is good, but very directional. If you go more than 30 degrees off axis then the colors look off. This may be more the case with this size LCD than insignia alone, I think this one is LED backlit too. For sure the sound sucks on it, very poor, we have to use an external speaker to get audio with some base to it. DVD player works fine, I wouldn't worry about it going south, if it does, its easy enough to feed it with a self contained unit.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
These are made by LG. I have one with the built in DVD player. Good picture quality. If you using it for over the air broadcast TV, the tuner is a pain. On mine if you put in a channel number, you have to put in the complete number. For example my NBC affiliate is channel 5. They have a sister channel that is weather only (5.2). So I want to tune to channel 5. In my case I have to key in 5.1
If I put in 5 only, the channel doesn't change. A real pain unless you want to hit the channel up or down buttons and scroll. I have a LG at home that will give you 5.1 if you put in 5 only. So my feeling is that they cut the features of some components to save $$. Now that I use satellite TV when I travel, the tuner isn't important since channel changing is done via the satellite receiver control.

All in all knowing what I know now, I'd pass if presented the opportunity to buy this tv again.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
We've had Insignia Digital TV OTA (over-the-air) conversion boxes & an older old school tube TV for years with no problems, but can't speak to the newer flat screens from them.

If they use the same level of quality manufacturers on the LEDs & LCDs as those older products, then you should be fine....but who knows!?

We got a 15" CODY (??) LCD-TV/DVD combo for our 1960 Avion T20 so we can also swap it into our 1988 VW Westfalia if we want, for size & space considerations, & will live with the consequences if the DVD dies 1st or visa versa.
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Had a 20" Insignia fail after 3 months. Best Buy replaced it with a Samsung. I've had great luck with Samsung.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
One thing I didn't notice is the Insignia has a power cord permanently attached. The current Sony has a separate power cord that goes into the fridge wall and comes out another hole in the same wall to plug into the electric socket. For some reason AS put the power cable in the same loom of video and audio cables that goes into the fridge wall and is sealed by black weather seal caulking. I'd have to remove that weather seal caulking and try to fish the Sony cable out and fish the Insignia cable into the fridge wall and out by the electric socket.

We are going to hold off on a TV upgrade as we are not sure we want to keep our Airstream anymore.

Thanks for everyone posting.

Kelvin