Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Experiences with Insignia (Best Buy Brand) TV?

I have two Insignia TVs at home, and one in the AS. So far so good. The home Tvs are a couple a few months old, and the AS TV about a year.

The two home TVs that the insignias replaced were more name brand, higher end, and higher in the relative price at the time, but they only lasted about six years.

So, I bought cheap this time, they work fine for me.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
We picked up a 28" insignia with the DVD a few months ago, got a good price on it. Picture is good, but very directional. If you go more than 30 degrees off axis then the colors look off. This may be more the case with this size LCD than insignia alone, I think this one is LED backlit too. For sure the sound sucks on it, very poor, we have to use an external speaker to get audio with some base to it. DVD player works fine, I wouldn't worry about it going south, if it does, its easy enough to feed it with a self contained unit.

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
These are made by LG. I have one with the built in DVD player. Good picture quality. If you using it for over the air broadcast TV, the tuner is a pain. On mine if you put in a channel number, you have to put in the complete number. For example my NBC affiliate is channel 5. They have a sister channel that is weather only (5.2). So I want to tune to channel 5. In my case I have to key in 5.1
If I put in 5 only, the channel doesn't change. A real pain unless you want to hit the channel up or down buttons and scroll. I have a LG at home that will give you 5.1 if you put in 5 only. So my feeling is that they cut the features of some components to save $$. Now that I use satellite TV when I travel, the tuner isn't important since channel changing is done via the satellite receiver control.

All in all knowing what I know now, I'd pass if presented the opportunity to buy this tv again.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
We've had Insignia Digital TV OTA (over-the-air) conversion boxes & an older old school tube TV for years with no problems, but can't speak to the newer flat screens from them.

If they use the same level of quality manufacturers on the LEDs & LCDs as those older products, then you should be fine....but who knows!?

We got a 15" CODY (??) LCD-TV/DVD combo for our 1960 Avion T20 so we can also swap it into our 1988 VW Westfalia if we want, for size & space considerations, & will live with the consequences if the DVD dies 1st or visa versa.
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Had a 20" Insignia fail after 3 months. Best Buy replaced it with a Samsung. I've had great luck with Samsung.
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
One thing I didn't notice is the Insignia has a power cord permanently attached. The current Sony has a separate power cord that goes into the fridge wall and comes out another hole in the same wall to plug into the electric socket. For some reason AS put the power cable in the same loom of video and audio cables that goes into the fridge wall and is sealed by black weather seal caulking. I'd have to remove that weather seal caulking and try to fish the Sony cable out and fish the Insignia cable into the fridge wall and out by the electric socket.

We are going to hold off on a TV upgrade as we are not sure we want to keep our Airstream anymore.

Thanks for everyone posting.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I know you aren't going to do the upgrade, but in case you do, or another might, you can simply put a female plug socket on the existing Sony wire and problem solved.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote