Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
With no network available being displayed on the ATV that's OK. So Wifi on both devices on and ATV and iPad paired with Bluetooth and AirPlay should work.

I'd like to get it going with my Mackbook Air too. It's on OSX Yosemite.

Apple could've made it easier.

Kelvin

Old 10-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
You should not have to pair. I just swipe from bottom and select Airplay

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
OK. Got home tonight and brought the Apple TV and iPad home. Upgraded to 9.0.2 on the iPad Air. Connected my new Apple TV to my HDTV, ethernet to my router and optical to my receiver. Everything seems to be working OK connected to my network. Next I disconnected the ethernet and didn't bother setting up WIFI on the Apple TV. Then got the iPad and set my WIFI to forget my home network so neither the Apple TV and iPad Air are on a network.

I was able to get Airplay to work and stream content to the Apple TV. I notice no Dolby Digital being detected. Movies that I stream from my iMac via iTunes show up with Dolby Digital. I guess Airplay doesn't support Dolby Digital. That's OK, I don't have a Dolby setup in the Airstream

Tomorrow I will test the new Apple TV and iPad with Airplay in the Airstream.

I tested the new Apple TV disconnected from the network and tried it with my MacBook Air running OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite disconnected from the network and couldn't get Airplay to work. Only works if both are connected to my home network.

Kelvin
Old 10-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Prospect Heights , Illinois
I have, over time, copied my dvds to my external hardrive. I think i have about 200 movies so if i ever do buy an Airstream, im ready in this department.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktect1 View Post
I have, over time, copied my dvds to my external hardrive. I think i have about 200 movies so if i ever do buy an Airstream, im ready in this department.
What do you play them with? My player is dropping sound, I think it's getting too hot and killing the sound. I've been considering the Western Digital movie player but wouldn't mind spending a little more to get a better one. I need something that can play .iso images.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #76
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Although many TVs and even BluRay players have USB ports, most require video to be in a compatible format. Even those that can play multiple formats have limits on the number of files they can read before going into 'overload'.

I haven't read anything so far in this thread that comes close to the functionality of a small format PC (or Mac mini) for playing back the content saved to a an external drive, or saved to it's own hard disk, or for streaming. Plus mine has optical audio output to the sound system so I also have my entire music library with me.

The only cost from a couple of hundred dollars and are smaller in size than a novel.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Although many TVs and even BluRay players have USB ports, most require video to be in a compatible format. Even those that can play multiple formats have limits on the number of files they can read before going into 'overload'.

I haven't read anything so far in this thread that comes close to the functionality of a small format PC (or Mac mini) for playing back the content saved to a an external drive, or saved to it's own hard disk, or for streaming. Plus mine has optical audio output to the sound system so I also have my entire music library with me.

The only cost from a couple of hundred dollars and are smaller in size than a novel.
I agree with you. I have over 15,000 TV show episodes and almost 2000 movies on external hard drives connected to a MacMini at home running Kodi connected to my family room AV system. I also have Plex running at the same time on the MacMini that I use to Airplay to AppleTV's in other rooms in the house from my iPhone and iPads with zero buffering or other issues.

I spent a lot of money and time/effort going through a bunch of different hardware and players until I found this combination. Since I do not spend weeks at a time camping I do not feel the need to have something like that in our Airstream. It is easy to load a season or two of a couple shows and a few movies on the iPad prior to departure.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I don't collect movies. Once they are watched I delete them. Currently I rip Netflix DVDs to a smaller size and store them in iTunes linked to a small external hard drive. Now that I have peer to peer working with an Apple TV in my Airstream I just sync two or three to my iPad to play on my Airstream TV without HDMI cable. The size of TV you can put in an Airstream can't really take advantage of Blueray, they are 720p. If I owned a condo on wheels SOB with 50" HDTV. If would make sense to display in higher resolutions.

Kelvin.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Whoa. 15,000 tv episodes? And 2000 movies!! How many years will that take to watch??
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
Whoa. 15,000 tv episodes? And 2000 movies!! How many years will that take to watch??
Probably not enough left but we are trying

To make this a little more sane sounding we have been at this for 20+ years of marriage and have gone through at least half of the collection at this point.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Reading on the Apple site it looks like El Capitan OSX will support peer to peer to an Apple TV without a LAN. I'll upgrade my MacBook Air and give it a try soon.

Kelvin
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've upgraded my MacBook Air to 10.11 to El Capitan but reading the fine print its only supported on Macs 2012 and newer. My Macbook Air is a 2011 model. Darn. At least I have my iPad Air to peer to peer with my Apple TV. I just have to sync movies to it from my Mac.

Kelvin
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Ok so I'm just starting down the road of wanting to play movies etc in the airstream. I'm a Mac user and have a spare Apple TV. Also I have a Macbook pro and a couple iPads. Is there anything else I need and how do I go about hooking all this so it will work to play movies and even mirror my laptop or iPad to the Tv screen if possible. This would be good for slideshows etc.

Oh - and I do have a WIFI network in the trailer as I use an airport to create a network so our iPad's can access a small printer we carry with us. Not sure if the network is an advantage in this setting just thought I would mention we have it. As a final note to the network we use it only to access a printer and have never tried to hook it to the internet.

Our internet arrangement is a ATT MIFI that we carry with us but it has limited data so I don't think we would ever use it for something like streaming....

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Ok so I'm just starting down the road of wanting to play movies etc in the airstream. I'm a Mac user and have a spare Apple TV. Also I have a Macbook pro and a couple iPads. Is there anything else I need and how do I go about hooking all this so it will work to play movies and even mirror my laptop or iPad to the Tv screen if possible. This would be good for slideshows etc.

Oh - and I do have a WIFI network in the trailer as I use an airport to create a network so our iPad's can access a small printer we carry with us. Not sure if the network is an advantage in this setting just thought I would mention we have it. As a final note to the network we use it only to access a printer and have never tried to hook it to the internet.

Our internet arrangement is a ATT MIFI that we carry with us but it has limited data so I don't think we would ever use it for something like streaming....

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Doug
Hi Doug,

Just go through this thread and everything you ask is there. The airport is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage using airplay from ipad/iphone but will help with laptop apparently.