Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
Durable TV and mount

I need to know what TV and mount will withstand the vibration and bouncing in my 2008 25' international front bed Airstream. My recent installation resulted in a broken up TV back and ripping out of the TV mounting nuts on the back of the TV. To elaboratte, I bought 22' Samsung TV from Crutchfield, and an articulating wall mount from Camping World, and installed them in the bedroom on the shower wall. The mount had three mounting holes and I mounted that into the wall with bolts and nylock nuts, backed by fender washers. That much proved to be rock solid. The TV was built with four metal nuts glued into the plastic back panel of the TV for bolting on a wall mount, and the holes in the mount's plate matched up perfectly to the TV nut positions. I mounted the mount plate to the TV back with four machine screws using thread lock compound. The mounting bolts into the nuts proved to be adequate, in themselves. The articulation lock/release on the mount was adequate. After installation, however, I worried about the wiggling due to another aspect of the mount's design -- the mount plate mated to the TV back was fastened to the mount's articulating arm by two little screws with wing nuts, which permitted the up and down adjustment of the TV screen. Well, after a hundred or so miles I went inside and looked, and the nuts glued by the manufacturer into the TV back panel had ripped out of the back panel cracking it up considerably. The TV was "hanging by a thread" and fell into my hands. One more mile and it would have fallen to the floor denting the beautiful aluminum wall. The nuts were just glued into the plastic -- rather than into a metal backing plate with threaded holes, or some other more durable arrangement. The Sony TV installed by Airstream in the living room appears to be much more heavy duty than this Samsung. The wall mount used by Airstream has about ten times the mass of this Camping World junk I bought. The mount used by Airstream has a leg with rubber tip, on each if the four corners, which contact the wall. The result is virtually zero wiggling. Does anybody know what TV and mount Airstream uses, or what other that will withstand the trailer's vibration and bouncing?
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Was your TV set and mounting swing arm secured to the wall, so it is unable to swing freely while underway; or was it free to move around when subjected to side-to-side or front-to-back forces, and this movement may have allowed the flat panel to collide violently with wall (or other objects), causing the damage?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
Thanks. As I stated, the articulation arm lock was solid and allowed no movement in the locked position. As I stated, one feature of the mount was that the two bolts with wing nuts which fastened the TV backing plate to the articulating arm, which allowed for the up and down adjustment for viewing, permitted slight vibration, and that was one inadequate design feature of the mount. As I stated, the plastic TV back panel simply had metal nuts glued into it, which broke out. My installation and use of the mount and the TV was not a casual factor in the damage. I appreciate your thoughts, but should have been clearer that I did not hope to invite ideas about how I mounted the TV, but rather was seeking recommendations for a good mount and a good TV. What I have here is a mount advertised as for an RV, but which is woefully inadequate, and a TV designed to be adequate sitting in a house and no more. The responses I am seeking are from someone who installed, or had Airstream install, products that have been adequate and performed without damage, and to provide me the identifying information on those products so that I can buy the good products.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
See my post 921 & 922..........toastie

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-38289-66.html
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Television: Samsung 24" LED flat panel TV, model T24C550HD (May no longer be in production.)

Wall mount: SANUS Simplicity SMF3-B1 (This model is designed to hold 60 pounds; TV weighs less than 10 pounds.)

Both purchased at Costco in 2013. No problems in about 10,000 miles.

Additional comments:

TV sound did not meet our expectations due to small built-in speakers, which are typical on all TVs of this size; so we added a Bose Companion 3 Series II multimedia speaker system, which plugs into the TV's headphone jack.

Notes:
  • The screws that attach the swing-arm mount to our Samsung go into the TV's internal metal frame, not into nuts embedded in plastic.

• Some TV's do NOT have a headphone jack. If you decide to add an external sound system that uses this TV output, make sure the model you choose is so equipped.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I've done four RVs worth of TV upgrades to date. In the beginning small flat panels were finally affordable and CRTs were being phased out. Back then as today I found my savior in heavy duty Velcro. Back on my first LCDs were the replacement for Plasma offering sub 40" screen sizes but the weight was atrocious. Even today with the featherweight LED TVs on my current AS I line almost every inch not taken up by whatever mount I require. Commercial grade Velcro isn't cheap but it evens out because I no longer require an "RV capable" TV or mount which believe me are usually no discernible from their residential counterparts and ALWAYS more expensive. So far $20-30 bargain mounts from Costco have done quite successfully. In fact my front TV doesn't need to move at all so I did away with a mount entirely and used all super heavy commercial grade Velcro. If there's one downside its that when and if I want to articulate the bedroom TV I have to spend an extra minute pulling the Velcro apart...but the safety of mind I have that while doing 65 on a bumpy road they're not going anywhere. They're literally the most secure items in my RV more so than us in our cockpit seatbelts! Since you need an articulating mount and wouldn't mind taking a few extra seconds to pull it away from the wall then Velcro can't be beat.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We bought our 2009 28' International new with AS supplied articulating arm. Although the TV is a bit small (22" or 23", I think) there have been no problems at all-- the locking mechanism and attachment points have been solid. Sorry that the AS is two hundred miles away so I can't give you model numbers. If you still need them please write me--we'll be in the road again in two weeks.

Only drawback is there is no ability to angle the screen up and down, which would make viewing better by far. There is a tiny amount of downward adjustment that we have forced--any more and the lock won't catch. So we're probably ten-15 degrees too high for best picture image with the LCD limitations, and have to sit up a bit.

Otherwise, have you thought to contact Airstream for their recommendation? Once you know their brand recommendation, you could then find it cheaper online.

Because we are very weight conscious, I love the fact that we can get away with one TV to cover both cabins. With our TV mounted on the dinette bulkhead facing forward, we can articulate it closer if we want to watch from front lounge, or swing it sideways and reverse it where it fills the hallway passage to view from the bed in our rear bedroom. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that (a) the remote to our Sony head unit at the front of the coach works well from the bed and (b) the front lounge fits perfectly on the bed between the two wardrobes--who woulda guessed? (My brilliant wife, of course!)
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our first trailer had a Sanyo mounted on the wall and this trailer has 2 Samsungs mounted on the wall. I think any TV's and any mounts will do. No need to be weight conscious with new TV's. They are very light. The mount might weigh as much or more than the TV.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I installed a 32 Vizio Led on the factory swing mount 3 years ago and kept the four Styrofoam shipping corners that came in the box.I then installed two small 1 inch straps to the wall(Ace Hardware).When traveling I reinstall the four Styrofoam corners(stored under booth in bin)and strap over the tv then cinch tight against the wall.Has worked perfect for over 40,000 miles even on the roughest of roads.Does not scratch the wall or rub
The new tv's have mounting threads embedded in plastic and break the back off very easy.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
After reading other's comments, I should add that our swing-arm mount is loose enough to allow the TV to move 180 degrees from viewing at the dining table, to viewing in bed.

When traveling, the TV and mount are secured to the wall so they do not swing freely while underway.

Also, I specifically purchased a wall mount that was significantly over-spec'd for the TV we bought, figuring that this would increase the chances that both would survive our highway and off-road adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Television: Samsung 24" LED flat panel TV, model T24C550HD (May no longer be in production.)

Wall mount: SANUS Simplicity SMF3-B1 (This model is designed to hold 60 pounds; TV weighs less than 10 pounds.)

Both purchased at Costco in 2013. No problems in about 10,000 miles.

Additional comments:

TV sound did not meet our expectations due to small built-in speakers, which are typical on all TVs of this size; so we added a Bose Companion 3 Series II multimedia speaker system, which plugs into the TV's headphone jack.

Notes:
  • The screws that attach the swing-arm mount to our Samsung go into the TV's internal metal frame, not into nuts embedded in plastic.

• Some TV's do NOT have a headphone jack. If you decide to add an external sound system that uses this TV output, make sure the model you choose is so equipped.