Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"When you reach a campsite, do you have to set a dish up and find the correct satellite in the sky each time to receive a signal?"

Yes. My gear isn't as nearly as sophisticated as Mexray's, so it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes armed with a Boy Scout compass (but I'm getting better). Until I got some experience, it took much longer. You just plug in the zip code of your location into the satellite receiver, and it gives you the coordinates. So far, the biggest upgrade for my system is those quick disconnect ends for my cables. It saves me a minute or two.

Until recently, I thought you had to have a very clear shot of the southwest sky. Well, you do, but it doesn't have to be perfectly clear. While in Myrtle Beach State Park campground this May I took one look at the tree canopy and thought it would be a waste of time to try to set up the dish. Then I looked around and saw several dishes set up. So I tried it and, after repositioning the dish a few times, I got an 88% signal, which was more than adequate. Since then I've been on quite a few campsites with trees and, more often than not, I can get a signal.

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Jacksonville , Florida
I recently switched from Direct TV one month ago. Big mistake.

Their service is CRAP, their equipment is unreliable (i.e. CRAP), their phone system is CRAP, and there is no satisfaction guarantee at all!

I could terminate contract - at a penalty of over $300!!
I'm stuck with Dish TV for 23 more months.

wlt911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've had satellite TV for 23 years. First C-band with a 10' dish and then Dish Network. I'm puzzled at the various responses on service issues. I have a first generation receiver in my work shop that I use in the AS with a KingDome. My gripe is the fact that even though I live in Colorado, I'm stuck watching New Mexico network coverage. And that coverage goes away 50 miles from home thanks to the technology of spot beam transmission.

I'm on an annual billing plan that saves me considerable money and any service/transmission issues I've had were cleared up instantly by someone who could speak the King's English.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've had Dish at home for 9 years and works well. It seems like a better deal than Direct and Direct's website is nearly incomprehensible, though Dish's isn't much better, it is better. Talking to someone at Dish can be a challenge since many of them can't speak English well, but keep calling back until you can get someone who is a native speaker.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Special Cabling?

Do you need to re-wire your AS to hook up the satellite to the trailer? I have a 2004 Safari 25 with an outdoor coax. Can I just hook the satellite to this and the HD receiver to the other end (under the cabinet) or does it take a special coax cabling?

2010 Classic 30
Portland, OR
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
Vince, i have an 04 international. Yes, you run the satellite feed through the curbside coax (RG6). in my AS the main feed comes in under the dinette. there is a coax conneticon plate with 2 jacks. you remove the short jumper between them and plub your satellite box in. one jack should be labelled satellite (or cable) in and the other satellite (or cable) out. hope this helps
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I do mine a little differently. I have a 2000 so it doesn't have the jumper cable inside. I also use Direct TV although that probably doesn't make much difference. I put my receiver in a rubbermaid action packer and leave it under the trailer near the rear bumper. I drilled two holes in the action packer and put the cable connectors in those and lableled them in and out. I then connected them to the receiver that lives in the action packer. I cut a piece of pegboard to fit in the action packer to hold the receiver up and provide some ventilation. I then run the cable from the action packer to the cable input on the trailer in the rear bumper compartment. I use the RF remote controller and have no problems. The only downside is that I have 2 televisions and both have to be on the same channel but that has not been a problem.

extiger is offline   Reply With Quote