Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We do have a Apple TV in the trailer and use it on those occasions where we want to stream content. Most of the time we don’t have a good enough internet connection for that to work though so we play downloaded content off our iphones. What we did notice though was that when we would try to Airplay downloaded content from a phone sometimes the Apple TV would “helpfully” try to stream it even though a downloaded version was available. Sometimes as well the content copyright holder would not allow it. Too much technology frustration for our tastes.

We just use a HDMI connection as others have said and it works every time.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Thanks, AStreamNerds, I'll check out the video.

I have an Apple TV box in the house, but ... I thought it connected via wifi to our router, and any video I played from my phone went to router first (hey, I'm no expert in these things!).

I want to see what you've worked out.

We got mixed feedback from various sources about the Apple TV needing an Internet connection. There may be the possibility that early versions of the Apple TV may require the internet for authentication, we don't need it with ours. We bought it a few weeks ago.
rgarza348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #23
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I'm not sure this is true. I connect both iPads and iPhones to TVs and monitors all the time with HDMI adapters and play content of all sorts.

I've noticed that in some cases iTunes movie content can be downloaded in a format or resolution (HDR 4K I think) that is not compatible with some televisions, so those movies won't play on those televisions. And I've also noticed that some televisions (and perhaps some adapters, not sure) have some mismatch in HDMI spec so that the DCP (digital content protection) handshaking that goes on reports some sort of error. I've always assumed that this happens when there are older televisions (with HDMI, but not recent HDMI) in the mix. And I've abandoned all non-Apple HDMI adapters (most of which seem to not work reliably anyway).

When Apple moved to USB-C on MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and now their latest iPad things got a little wonky. I found on my MacBook Pro that it mattered somewhat whether you plugged in the adapter first, then connected the cable between the adapter and the TV. They seem to have gotten that sorted out by now but for a while there it definitely wasn't the simple user experience that I'm accustomed to with Apple equipment.

But we play movies and TV from iOS devices all the time through HDMI adapters. In fact a retractable HDMI cable and a lightning-HDMI adapter are now a standard part of our travel kit (they stay in our suitcase).

I've tried EVERYTHING, and can't get content from my wife's iPad onto the AS TV. We set up a network with router & Apple TV so we could stream iTunes movies & TV shows. Nothing. I got a lightning to HDMI adapter to hook the iPad directly up to the TV. I got a message saying the connected device was not compatible. I have since found out it has something to do with HDCP copyright protection? Today, I tried connecting the iPad directly to the TV's USB port- Nothing! According to the TV's manual, if you hit the Media Play button, a menu will pop up that allows you to play through the USB port. I got a message saying there was no device connected!! The iPad would beep when I plugged it into the TV indicating it was charging, but no response from the TV. Talk about frustrating!!!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
The recent models of Apple TV does not need an Internet connection, it uses peer to peer connections. Here a like that explains how to connect. We use it and it works great.
https://appletoolbox.com/2016/11/con...t-wifi-how-to/
Hope this helps.
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I've tried EVERYTHING, and can't get content from my wife's iPad onto the AS TV. We set up a network with router & Apple TV so we could stream iTunes movies & TV shows. Nothing. I got a lightning to HDMI adapter to hook the iPad directly up to the TV. I got a message saying the connected device was not compatible. I have since found out it has something to do with HDCP copyright protection? Today, I tried connecting the iPad directly to the TV's USB port- Nothing! According to the TV's manual, if you hit the Media Play button, a menu will pop up that allows you to play through the USB port. I got a message saying there was no device connected!! The iPad would beep when I plugged it into the TV indicating it was charging, but no response from the TV. Talk about frustrating!!!
It turns out that all Lightning to HDMI dongles are not created equal. I suggest you try the official one from Apple. We had similar issues until we switched.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #26
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Today I got the Apple adapter and it works. Tomorrow, I take the Apple TV, Apple iPad & Apple router to the "Genius" at the local store to find out why the WiFi streaming doesn't work. Thanks again for the adapter tip . . .
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I have the Apple lightening to HDMI adaptor, and as I posted much of my iTunes content will not play from the iPhone to the TV. I’m fairly certain it is HDCP protection issues. If I connect the Apple TV to the TV and log in to iTunes on the Apple TV I can play all the content in my library.

It wasn’t always this way. But it is now.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I have the Apple lightening to HDMI adaptor, and as I posted much of my iTunes content will not play from the iPhone to the TV. I’m fairly certain it is HDCP protection issues. If I connect the Apple TV to the TV and log in to iTunes on the Apple TV I can play all the content in my library.

It wasn’t always this way. But it is now.
Are you sure the Apple TV isn't "helpfully" streaming this content even though you have it locally? It sure used to.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #29
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yes I’m sure. Movies that I purchased on iTunes - I can watch them on my phone, watch on my MacBook, or watch them on AppleTV. If I hook the phone to the TV via the lightening to HDMI cable I get an error message on the TV screen.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Yes I’m sure. Movies that I purchased on iTunes - I can watch them on my phone, watch on my MacBook, or watch them on AppleTV. If I hook the phone to the TV via the lightening to HDMI cable I get an error message on the TV screen.
Sure but are you certain the Apple TV doesn't decide to stream them from iTunes? Mine was doing so but that was last summer so the software may have been upgraded. I was trying to stream from a phone.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #31
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
The only thing that does not work is using the phone to play the movie when the phone is connected to the TV via the lightening to HDMI adaptor
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
The only thing that does not work is using the phone to play the movie when the phone is connected to the TV via the lightening to HDMI adaptor
Great, I’ll have to try using the Apple TV again.

I had no end of problems with 3rd party HDMI adapters butvthe offical Apple one has never failed to work. This on the TV that came with the 2018 FC25. Others may be different.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #33
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
The problem with the chromecast is that it needs an actual internet connection. More than just a ad hock wifi connection between the phone and chromecast via a local wifi router. While at home this may work but in campgrounds or boondocking it's not helpful. There is a workaround but it's a pain and you have to do it each time you want to use the chromecast. This comes into play with video you have saved locally. Since you're more concerned with streaming with a good wifi internet connection available, an Apple TV, Amazon fire stick, or roku should work.
And the lack of Internet is the big problem! I set up WiFi in our trailer with an Apple router, and Apple TV to use in conjunction with my wife's iPad. She had downloaded movies & TV shows from iTunes to watch on the road. It doesn't work. Even though it's iTunes content, and all Apple devices, it will not stream to the trailer TV. I can mirror the iPad screen to the TV, but movies will not play. I've been told that each copyrighted movie or TV show has to connect to the Internet for authentication. I'm pretty PO'd. Apple sold me all this stuff after I explained in great detail what I wanted to do with it, and it doesn't work . . .