Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I found my batwing to be an improvement over the skyliner. not "huge", but I was able to pull in a couple more channels from my driveway. They were both using the same signal amplifier.
w/ vhf, I was pulling in signals that were 90-100 miles away.

One time, I was on the south coast of RI, and I was pulling in a Philadelphia station. I couldn't believe it. There must have been some sort of atmospheric anomaly going on that day, because its more than 200 miles. NYC, I could understand...even though that was pretty dog-gone far away, I think they broadcast from the top of the Empire State building, so..."line of site" is very far.

Now with digital, in the same spot in my driveway, the Boston stations are "marginal", and they all broadcast from the same spot, which is 32 miles away.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Jack, I haven't had a chance to read your entire thread, but you might some stuff here that's useful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...uff-48707.html

Jim
Good link Jim. I just checked out Ellison Bay Wi., where I just came back from. According to the site you linked to, there should be no digital service available. Apparently they weren't aware of the PBS station up there which had 3 digital channels available. It also notes that all estimates for service levels assume that a 30' antenna is available. I'm not sure if that means 30' from ground or from some rooftop.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Local translators are still analog. But I've a lot of translators aren't very good anyway. Sometimes when I can see the translator antenna up on a mountain, I still get terrible reception.

Like everyone else, I have found aiming the antenna right is critical. When we stop, I look to see how others have adjusted their antennas so I have a idea where to aim. I think the HDTV signals are even higher frequency than analog UHF, so in rural areas if you want TV, you may have to go satellite if there are no translators.

We have satellite at home, and rarely watch network TV, so most of the stuff on local TV doesn't interest us. We're glad to get a PBS channel if we can. Morning shows like Today have hardly any news anymore and the last hour of it with Kathy Lee is amazingly dumb.

Perhaps in 5 or 10 years broadband will be available everywhere and HDTV will be streamed over it and we'll get TV that way.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Unfortunately, we have not been out since the big switchover...but we did have a converter box and tried it a few times just before the switch when many stations were broadcasting dual signals. When we COULD get a station is was always great reception, but we seemed not not be able to get as many stations as we did with analog...so we are holding our breath wondering what it will be like the next time we go out... We're always pleased when we can get TV reception...especially to keep up with what's going on in the world...and weather... Here's hoping...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I have to ask...

Jack:
I have to ask, are you letting the TV scan for stations? I have found that ours works very well since the digital change over. We live about 120 miles from the transmitters in Los Angeles and pick up the network stations on HD very well. When we go to another location, we have to let the TV re-scan for local stations. If I don't get what I think I should I turn the antenna 90 degrees.
BTW we also get the local stations from San Diego (where we live) and Tijuana. (They're are still analog there).

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #26
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Randy
We grew up in OB. LA stations on Mount Wilson are line of site from OB and so are SD stations on Mt Soledad. However unless you're living up the hill, I doubt you'll be able to get HD from Tijuana.
Tonight we're camped on the west side of the central valley tonight and I'm watching HD from Fresno 82 miles away with my stock Weingard "batwing", again line of site. I'm definitely going to add the "Weingard attachment".
Lyle
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I replaced mine with the winegard RS 2000 (flying saucer) a few months ago, and the only difference is I don't have to point it. My dad has the batwing,and performance seems the same.

As far as everything, same as everyone else here. I really hate to get involved in a show or movie.....then blue screen! lol
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Is the flying saucer an attachment for the standard batwing? Is it multidirectional?

Gene
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Is the flying saucer an attachment for the standard batwing? Is it multidirectional?

Gene
Hey Gene,

It's a stand alone digital antenna. The ranges are identical to the batwing, but I dont have to raise, aim, and forget to lower. It was designed for marine and MOHO use, since it can be used while in motion.

I've only used it camping for a few days, and our Indiana trip, and it seemed to do fine. I miss the analog, because I'd rather watch a weak signal than a blue screen. I had really good reception in Hot Springs Ar, getting all the Little Rock stations, then in Coldwater Ms I got all the Memphis stations (just south of Memphis).

The only concern I have with it is the mount. I have to stabilize the way I mounted it because it wobbles to much for me. Either way, 2400 miles and it's still up there ! lol
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , Texas
This is the link for the RS 2000 (or at least one I could ind real quick)

RV Antennas - Winegard Roadstar 2000 on Sale
Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for educating me. Since it's marked down 33%, I guess they're not selling that well.

Gene
Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , Texas
Lol, looks like everything they have is. I bought mine from Solid Signal at regular price lower than that.

I've only seen them on boats and motorhomes, but we like it.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Jack:
I have to ask, are you letting the TV scan for stations? I have found that ours works very well since the digital change over. We live about 120 miles from the transmitters in Los Angeles and pick up the network stations on HD very well. When we go to another location, we have to let the TV re-scan for local stations. If I don't get what I think I should I turn the antenna 90 degrees.
BTW we also get the local stations from San Diego (where we live) and Tijuana. (They're are still analog there).

Randy
I have let the TV do its auto scan. The problem is that in many areas you don't know where the TV towers are. In the analog days you might get a snowy picture in the auto scan, then adjust the antenna for a stronger signal. With digital in a marginal area, you have to have the antenna focused in the direction of the tower. I can tell you this last weekend up in Lasalle Il., moving that antenna rotator knob more than 1-2 inches was enough to get a Chicago station signal or not get one. On the close religious station tower, the antenna could be pointed in any direction and the autoscan would pick up the station. That's why I was going through the manual setup, picking one DTV channel, and slowly rotating the antenna. Problem is trying that technique is pretty time consuming.

I tried to look at other antennas when I was up in Sister Bay Wi. I think no one knew where things were at and we were all pointed different directions.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Jack: It seemed like a simple answer. (Simple is what I do). My next suggestion is, drop back 5 yards and punt.

Sorry, Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I got those same three stations in Door County that Jack did. You could watch a cartoon, cooking or a travel show or home improvement most of the time. Back at home I have 4 stations in the house and about the same sampling of Create, Outdoors, back to back Frazier eposodes on a lucky time slot...and a plethera of infomercials.

The AS in the drive actually pulls in more channels but the calibre is the same PBS mix with infomercials and the addition of very old reruns and springer type "entertainment" shows.

I'd take analog and pre-subscription tv in a heartbeat if I could turn back time! In stead I have been turning on the tv looking around and then turning it back off. I miss the news, (is there still real or independent new news these days??) weather and lifetime movie channel. Paying for poor, repetitive, duplicate or commercial programming is not much of a step upward, imo.

I went to Radio Shack to inquire of antennas however. I was told an antenna will not bring in more channels than we already receive because of distance. So I would assume it isn't a matter of equipment as much as it is a matter of location to signal. Obviously in some circumstances it can improve what you receive but conversely in others it may not render a single additional channel.

We basically feel that when tv went digital we lost tv for all practical purposes and now rely on the internet and the radio. Movie downloads from Amazon with a single click is the way to go now.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote