Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I recently purchased the Weingard attachment for my antenna. It was simple to install and improved the reception. It was $28.00 well spent. I haven't tried it in some of the areas that Jack talked about, but 50 miles from the Quad Cities it worked fine; but this is flatland. illinois /iowa.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
I bought one of these things several months ago. My experiences are related here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...man-48742.html . I still haven't seen much improvement, but maybe I was expecting too much. Now that many of the stations have been adjusting their output power along with turning off the analog transmitters, it isn't really possible compare it to what we "used" to have. As noted above, these signals are in the UHF band for the most part and they simply don't go as far or bounce around as much as the old VHF signals did. I keep playing with the adjustments, aiming, etc.. but for the most part, I am watching less TV.

That's probably a good thing though

Wayne
I know one of our local metro stations did note that they wouldn't be at full power right away. I'm sure there will be some adjustments going on as the service matures. I know in some cases antennas must be relocated on the towers which means lowering of the power or interruption of service late at night. Too much radiation up there for the workers to be up on those towers will the stations running at full power.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I recently purchased the Weingard attachment for my antenna. It was simple to install and improved the reception. It was $28.00 well spent. I haven't tried it in some of the areas that Jack talked about, but 50 miles from the Quad Cities it worked fine; but this is flatland. illinois /iowa.
I assume that the antenna lowers down ok without any interference issues?

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Glad to hear I'm not alone. After buying my AS in Feb only to find a leaky Skyliner antenna, I posted here as to the value of keeping it or ripping it off. I was encouraged that it would be great to have when DTV came around, so I sealed it up and it's still there. I'm now regretting that. It worked reasonably well w/ analog but now that DTV is here...I don't get channels better with it up, down, rotated, amplified, etc. The auto-search on the DTV box finds the *chuckle* religious and the shopping network. I guess we know who's got the money to push the high-strength signals. Anyway, I thought my Skyliner might be trashed, so I inspected some things and replaced some connections, etc. No better. So, I bought a $7 set of rabbit ears at Target last weekend. They work decent. BUT, I MUST put the antenna outside and it has to be held at not only an rotation angle but at a tilt angle. It also helps if I keep my hand on the antenna, too. Either way, I considered this venture a mild success because I can get a decent number of UHF channels and one of the major networks from my driveway and I live in the middle of nowhere where we need satellite in order to get anything with decent reception.

In the end, my suggestion for DTV reception is to go get a $7 set of rabbit ears for ultimate versatility in positioning. If anyone here buys the "optimized" DTV Winegard or buys the wings to optimize their existing Winegard, please post your satisfaction / success. I would drop the $60 on one of those to replace the Skyliner if someone can vouch that it's an improvement. In the meantime, cable TV access at the campsite is now on my "would like to have" list.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Jack, I found out about those issues last year when we bought our first RV tvs with digital tuners. They got great reception in Cedar Rapids, and practially nothing here, forty miles out. It will be interesting to see if the "signal enhancers" work any better than those little grid things they used to claim were "amazing" for cell phone reception.

When I was a kid living in Sioux City, IA we got two channels... then UHF opened up and we got three. And there was seldom anything on worth watching. Now, I have satellite at home and get over 250 channels, and there's seldom anything on worth watching. I haven't even bought a TV for the B-Van, and probably won't. I have a portable DVD player and take movies along. I listen to local radio for news, and get wifi where I can.

I just haven't found lack digital reception to be much of a loss. About the only time I watch the locals is for supplemental severe weather coverage, but we typically lose the satellite signal during bad storms anyway... so it's not such a big deal anyway.

Roger
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Jack, I haven't had a chance to read your entire thread, but you might some stuff here that's useful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...uff-48707.html

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I found my batwing to be an improvement over the skyliner. not "huge", but I was able to pull in a couple more channels from my driveway. They were both using the same signal amplifier.
w/ vhf, I was pulling in signals that were 90-100 miles away.

One time, I was on the south coast of RI, and I was pulling in a Philadelphia station. I couldn't believe it. There must have been some sort of atmospheric anomaly going on that day, because its more than 200 miles. NYC, I could understand...even though that was pretty dog-gone far away, I think they broadcast from the top of the Empire State building, so..."line of site" is very far.

Now with digital, in the same spot in my driveway, the Boston stations are "marginal", and they all broadcast from the same spot, which is 32 miles away.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Jack, I haven't had a chance to read your entire thread, but you might some stuff here that's useful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...uff-48707.html

Jim
Good link Jim. I just checked out Ellison Bay Wi., where I just came back from. According to the site you linked to, there should be no digital service available. Apparently they weren't aware of the PBS station up there which had 3 digital channels available. It also notes that all estimates for service levels assume that a 30' antenna is available. I'm not sure if that means 30' from ground or from some rooftop.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Local translators are still analog. But I've a lot of translators aren't very good anyway. Sometimes when I can see the translator antenna up on a mountain, I still get terrible reception.

Like everyone else, I have found aiming the antenna right is critical. When we stop, I look to see how others have adjusted their antennas so I have a idea where to aim. I think the HDTV signals are even higher frequency than analog UHF, so in rural areas if you want TV, you may have to go satellite if there are no translators.

We have satellite at home, and rarely watch network TV, so most of the stuff on local TV doesn't interest us. We're glad to get a PBS channel if we can. Morning shows like Today have hardly any news anymore and the last hour of it with Kathy Lee is amazingly dumb.

Perhaps in 5 or 10 years broadband will be available everywhere and HDTV will be streamed over it and we'll get TV that way.

Gene
Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Unfortunately, we have not been out since the big switchover...but we did have a converter box and tried it a few times just before the switch when many stations were broadcasting dual signals. When we COULD get a station is was always great reception, but we seemed not not be able to get as many stations as we did with analog...so we are holding our breath wondering what it will be like the next time we go out... We're always pleased when we can get TV reception...especially to keep up with what's going on in the world...and weather... Here's hoping...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I have to ask...

Jack:
I have to ask, are you letting the TV scan for stations? I have found that ours works very well since the digital change over. We live about 120 miles from the transmitters in Los Angeles and pick up the network stations on HD very well. When we go to another location, we have to let the TV re-scan for local stations. If I don't get what I think I should I turn the antenna 90 degrees.
BTW we also get the local stations from San Diego (where we live) and Tijuana. (They're are still analog there).

Randy
Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #26
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Randy
We grew up in OB. LA stations on Mount Wilson are line of site from OB and so are SD stations on Mt Soledad. However unless you're living up the hill, I doubt you'll be able to get HD from Tijuana.
Tonight we're camped on the west side of the central valley tonight and I'm watching HD from Fresno 82 miles away with my stock Weingard "batwing", again line of site. I'm definitely going to add the "Weingard attachment".
Lyle
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I replaced mine with the winegard RS 2000 (flying saucer) a few months ago, and the only difference is I don't have to point it. My dad has the batwing,and performance seems the same.

As far as everything, same as everyone else here. I really hate to get involved in a show or movie.....then blue screen! lol
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Is the flying saucer an attachment for the standard batwing? Is it multidirectional?

Gene