Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Don,
Tell me the model number of your new Pioneer radio/head unit. Then I'll pull up the .pdf that shows the wiring diagram of it and the Sony CDX-F5500/F5000 that you've already hyperlinked in post 8 above. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number. If you'll give me a call over the weekend, I will have had time to look things over and we can discuss the issue directly on the phone. If the blue/white wire from the Pioneer is the external amplifier activation line (like on the Sony) then that's likely the problem. In this case, you'll need to crimp the two blue/white wires together to make things work. But don't do anything yet, get me the Pioneer's model number and call me over the weekend. That way, we can ask questions of each other, etc.

Steve
Steve the model # on the Pioneer is DEH-X8500BS. Here is a picture of the wiring coming out of the dash with the old Sony wiring harness. Off to the right you can see the blue/white wire that was labeled in the Sony wiring diagram as the AMP. The installer placed a connector on this wire and crimped the blue/white wire with an orange wire at one end of the connector. The orange wire is not from the old Sony wiring harness and comes from a bundle of wires under the dash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire-from-Coach.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	186979

The next picture is not real clear but you can see the blue/white wire from the Pioneer connector that plugs in the back of the radio. I has a connector crimped on one end but is not connected to any thing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire-from-pioneer.gif
Views:	100
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	186981

Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Don,
Here is the Owner's Manual for your Pioneer Radio. If you look at pages 24 and 25 of the manual (section 4 which is part of the installation instructions), you will see that the wire intended to activate the remote amplifier(s) is also a blue/white wire from the Pioneer radio. So, assuming that the orange wire in your motorhome's wiring harness connects to the remote amplifier activation wire(s) the blue/white wire from the Pioneer should be crimped to the orange wire. If picture 1 shows a remnant of the Sony harness that was left in your MH, I would say that the installer placed a butt splice on the blue white wire and intended to hook it to the amplifier activation wire, but never finished the job. I'd take this information back to the installer and say something like: "Look at this! The blue/white wire to activate the amplifier doesn't go anywhere. What's going on with this."

You could do this yourself, but I think that the installer should finish the job and make it right. That way the onus is on him and any implied warranty for the installation is still his responsibility. I look forward to talking to you over the weekend. I'm also sending you a correction to my cell phone number. My PM has my home phone, but I intended to send my cell phone so that you can catch me wherever I am.

Steve

Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Don,
Here is the Owner's Manual for your Pioneer Radio. If you look at pages 24 and 25 of the manual (section 4 which is part of the installation instructions), you will see that the wire intended to activate the remote amplifier(s) is also a blue/white wire from the Pioneer radio. So, assuming that the orange wire in your motorhome's wiring harness connects to the remote amplifier activation wire(s) the blue/white wire from the Pioneer should be crimped to the orange wire. If picture 1 shows a remnant of the Sony harness that was left in your MH, I would say that the installer placed a butt splice on the blue white wire and intended to hook it to the amplifier activation wire, but never finished the job. I'd take this information back to the installer and say something like: "Look at this! The blue/white wire to activate the amplifier doesn't go anywhere. What's going on with this."

You could do this yourself, but I think that the installer should finish the job and make it right. That way the onus is on him and any implied warranty for the installation is still his responsibility. I look forward to talking to you over the weekend. I'm also sending you a correction to my cell phone number. My PM has my home phone, but I intended to send my cell phone so that you can catch me wherever I am.

Steve
Hi Steve, it rained today so I did not get over to storage, but I will check this out tomorrow. It sure looks kike the 2 blue/white wires should be connected. I will probably try that myself since it is difficult to get the MH in their parking lot close to the area they do installations. I will let you know.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Hi Steve, it rained today so I did not get over to storage, but I will check this out tomorrow. It sure looks kike the 2 blue/white wires should be connected. I will probably try that myself since it is difficult to get the MH in their parking lot close to the area they do installations. I will let you know.

Steve I connected the blue/white wires as we discussed but it still does not work. I think I will reinstall the Sonny to match all of the original wires and try to get back to a system that works the way it is supposed to.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Don,
I'm glad to help and I'll be curious as to how the Sony works once it's reinstalled.

Steve