Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
The handy accountant
 
pageclot's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Images: 21
Converting original motorola 8 track unit to something modern - questions

We have a 27' International, which came with the original Motorola 8 track, am/fm radio attached to a drop down unit next to the door.

I would like to replace this with something modern.

The Motorola unit has:

- an antenna plug (which I've found a counterpart for, on the modern unit, hooray).
- 2 flat speaker connectors. The modern unit has the standard red and white round speaker connectors.
- Umpteen wires, in many colours, coming off one of the knobs
- Presumably, the Motorola will run on either 120 or 12 v, because I had to shut off the main breaker, and pull the 50 amp fuse to get it to stop working. The modern unit seems to be designed for only 12 volt usage.

The modern unit seems designed to plug into a receptacle, with about 12 or 14 gold spikes in the upper right corner.

I'm going to take pictures, and then go back to Canadian Tire where I bought the modern unit, to see if they have any ideas how to update it.

In the meantime, is there a standard wiring diagram for this motorola unit around somewhere? The users manual that came with the radio was somewhat less than useful.

Any help would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Look into aftermarket wall mounted audio for RVs. I got a Audiovox and it fits nicely into the old hole.
__________________

__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageclot View Post
We have a 27' International, which came with the original Motorola 8 track, am/fm radio attached to a drop down unit next to the door.

I would like to replace this with something modern.

The Motorola unit has:

- an antenna plug (which I've found a counterpart for, on the modern unit, hooray).
- 2 flat speaker connectors. The modern unit has the standard red and white round speaker connectors.
- Umpteen wires, in many colours, coming off one of the knobs
- Presumably, the Motorola will run on either 120 or 12 v, because I had to shut off the main breaker, and pull the 50 amp fuse to get it to stop working. The modern unit seems to be designed for only 12 volt usage.

The modern unit seems designed to plug into a receptacle, with about 12 or 14 gold spikes in the upper right corner.

I'm going to take pictures, and then go back to Canadian Tire where I bought the modern unit, to see if they have any ideas how to update it.

In the meantime, is there a standard wiring diagram for this motorola unit around somewhere? The users manual that came with the radio was somewhat less than useful.

Any help would be appreciated.
I don't have the ability to scan right now , the diagram is in the service manual , if you can get one it will be handy for many other things. I'll try to discribe the wiring .

Coming out of the radio/8 track

1- ground 12v-
2- fused 12v+
3- antena
4- plug red/black wire
5- plug blu/black wire ( 4 & 5 are left and right output to speakers or fader)

6-plug 3 wire , remote on/off switch , might not be able to use with new unit

Coming out of fader

orange/black = curbside rear speaker
red/black = curbside front spesker
gray/black = roadside rear speaker
blue/black = roadside front speaker

BTW , the old and new units will be 12v only
Good luck
__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
The handy accountant
 
pageclot's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Images: 21
You're awesome, ticki2!

This helps a lot. The colours on the new unit will not match, but I can figure it out from here, I hope.

I have the owners manual from the 76, but not the service manual.
__________________
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
The handy accountant
 
pageclot's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Images: 21
Success! I hooked up all the wires, without any left over, (hooking up the yellow wire from the new radio to the 12 v wire from the airstream meant that the faceplate gets power, and works), turned on the radio, and heard a cut from Sgt. Pepper.

Now I just have to fasten the new radio to the drop down door, figure out how to get the door to drop open just so far, and then clean up the bits of wire.

Thanks to all.
__________________
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Don't ya just love it when that happens . Good job
__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageclot View Post

Now I just have to fasten the new radio to the drop down door, figure out how to get the door to drop open just so far
A short piece of decorative chain and two loops would serve.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 81
I modiefied the original box to fit a new system. I also changed out the speakers. The whole change costs about $150. It was important that I bought a stereo that had an aux jack for my IPOD. I will take some pictures and post.
__________________
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingbubel View Post
I modiefied the original box to fit a new system. I also changed out the speakers. The whole change costs about $150. It was important that I bought a stereo that had an aux jack for my IPOD. I will take some pictures and post.
There are also car stereos that have a USB port for connecting and charging the iPod. The ones I've seen have been about $150, and eliminate the need for figuring out how to keep the iPod charged.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
The handy accountant
 
pageclot's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A short piece of decorative chain and two loops would serve.
I think I have changed the centre of gravity of the door, now that I've replaced the 10 pound motorola with a 3 pound jvc. The door seems to pop open a lot easier. I think I might use your suggestion of the chain and two loops, but supplement it with a magnet to keep the door shut when I want it to stay shut.
__________________
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
For those with no input for iPod etc., there are accessory units designed to plug into 12V sockets (like cigarette lighter sockets) into which the iPos plugs, that broadcast the iPod signal by FM.

Neat, simple, and cheap.
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
For those with no input for iPod etc., there are accessory units designed to plug into 12V sockets (like cigarette lighter sockets) into which the iPos plugs, that broadcast the iPod signal by FM.

Neat, simple, and cheap.
My wife and I both have this for our iPods in our vehicles, and there is no reason it won't work in the trailer as well. If you are looking to replace your 8 track with a cd player, that is the time to get the USB radio. It's certainly not a reason to go out spending and updating just for that alone.

Here is a link to the radio, and a link for the FM iPod adapter:

Radio:
http://sewelldirect.com/vr3-cd-playe...utm_medium=cse


FM adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Dig.../dp/B0007XXHNW
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing a radio/8-track unit for repair or replacement lbf78SvgnInt31 1974 - 1979 Sovereign 9 11-30-2012 05:08 PM
Motorola 8 Track Mr. Decent Audio, Video & TV 13 09-03-2009 09:02 PM
IKEA window track - alternate to original? funkill Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 6 03-19-2009 09:47 AM
converting original frig joqin Refrigerators 4 07-01-2007 11:28 AM
Motorola Radio + 8 track player m. Clarke All Argosy Trailers 2 03-19-2004 11:48 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.