Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Coax cable inside?

Pulled into a campground and plugged into cable tv as normal. We're in a remote area with real bad reception and cable service. So the campground offered us a Comcast digital box to connect up to the TV. Problem is there's no standard coax cable inside our 2013 Flying Cloud FB 25ft --- that we know of. We have the standard HDMI that plugs into the TV's side and have never given it a second thought.

Is there a standard coax line somewhere in the unit that I can hook into? I don't want to rip walls apart for this and can just be content with Netflix if I have to...but this baffles me.
Anna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Your owners manual should show you how to connect a satellite box which is the same way to connect the cable box. Your Airstream may have a jumper cable which you disconnect and run you own coax to the cable box. Using another coax cable to connect the coax output of the cable box back down to the jumper plate. Turn off the TV antenna amplifier and turn your TV to either channel 3 or 4 to display the signal from the cable box.

If the cable box has HDMI then you need an HDMI switcher so you can switch between the Bluray and cable box to play back content to the TV. The jumper cable is still removed to run your own coax cable to the cable box.

Why isn't the campgrounds cable service not working to the Airstream? Connect the cable from the pedestal, turn off the TV antenna booster, set the TV from antenna to cable and run a channel scan.

Kelvin
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Kelvin,
Thanks for the note. I confess that I don't understand most of your well-intentioned message, but if I did I probably wouldn't have posted in the first place.

I'll go back to the owner's manual since all else has failed. Good reminder to turn off the antenna and I'll check into the HDMI switcher. To your question about why no cable service, we're in the FL everglades on an island and other long-time residents say we're just lucky to have any service from Comcast at all, so be grateful! The booster box they provide would work except that I can't find a coax cable inside the trailer to hook it up to. But thanks for your help!
Annagirl
Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yes, to connect an external device to the built in coax your model should have a coax plate, probably under the dinette table, if not in the overhead cabinet, which has a coax jumper that connects the two connectors on the plate. Remove the jumper, connect your own coax.

Does your Airstream have separate cable and satellite connectors on the outside. If it does then you may not have the jumper I was discussing. My 2008 has the jumper under the dinette.

Kelvin
Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Kelvin,
To answer your question, yes, there are both TV and satellite connections on the outside of the trailer. I'll live with it until I get to a dealer. I'm not interested in drilling holes for this unusual (at least for me) circumstance. Thanks again
Old 02-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If there are separate cable and satellite connections on the outside there should be in the audio/video cabinet a plate that is labeled satellite. The outside connector marked "satellite" should be a dedicated cable that is routed to the audio/video area. You'll still have to supply your own coax cable to connect it to the cable box. I would guess Airstream in 2013 determined most users of satellite would use HDMI from the satellite box to the TV but this would mean using a HDMI switcher (go to monoprice.com) to allow switching from the Bluray to the satellite but in your case cable box. You must identify the video and audio outputs of the cable box the campground supplies. It may not have HDMI but either RCA or component or coax output. If there is no HDMI then you will have to run coax from the audio video cabinet to the TV because I think Airstream expects satellite or cable boxes to have HDMI outputs for video/sound. It would be just a mater of getting a 20ft coax cable and run it out the audio/video cabinet and behind the seat cushions to the TV.

Kelvin
Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Graham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
If there are separate cable and satellite connections on the outside there should be in the audio/video cabinet a plate that is labeled satellite. The outside connector marked "satellite" should be a dedicated cable that is routed to the audio/video area. You'll still have to supply your own coax cable to connect it to the cable box. I would guess Airstream in 2013 determined most users of satellite would use HDMI from the satellite box to the TV but this would mean using a HDMI switcher (go to monoprice.com) to allow switching from the Bluray to the satellite but in your case cable box. You must identify the video and audio outputs of the cable box the campground supplies. It may not have HDMI but either RCA or component or coax output. If there is no HDMI then you will have to run coax from the audio video cabinet to the TV because I think Airstream expects satellite or cable boxes to have HDMI outputs for video/sound. It would be just a mater of getting a 20ft coax cable and run it out the audio/video cabinet and behind the seat cushions to the TV.

Kelvin

I would recommend a 4x2 HDMI matrix so you can route any of the 4 inputs to ether of the two outputs. This also allows you to eliminate the 1x2 switch that AS used. Gives more flexibility to your AV setup.
h2ocoolerman is offline   Reply With Quote