Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Ron and Lilla McClendon

2013 27' FB International
Watkinsville , Georgia
Can't Play DVD on Front Bedroom Television

We are still Newbies with our 2013 Intl. Serenity 27 FB. The DVD player works fine on the main TV but not on the front bedroom TV. I checked the HDMI cable connection on the back of the bedroom TV and went through the same process as with main TV but it gives the message "this source is not connected". I believe I have read in the forums that the DVD signal is split near the DVD player. The box holding the DVD player is in the rear cabinet. Before I start trying to remove the box and cause more problems, I would really appreciate some trouble shooting advice.
Thanks in advance!
Ron
RonMcMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If there is only 1 DVD player then there's probably a switch somewhere so you can go from the DVD player to either one, or both, of the TVs. Did you look in your owner's manual?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There is a splitter buried in the box with the DVD player on my 2012.

Larry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf audio sony and blue ray 953037 Model (1).pdf (147.3 KB, 57 views)
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Ron and Lilla McClendon

Watkinsville , Georgia
I pulled the Blu-Ray box and the player output was only connected to one HDMI cable, no splitter. I have ordered a splitter so both TV's will work.
Thanks
Ron
Old 08-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
In my 2017 27fb, there is a 1x2 splitter under the DVD player which would push the DVD to both tvs. I replaced it with a 4x2 splitter so I could add Apple TV, and other inputs. Now I can play a different source in each room. There are only 2 screws holding the DVD box to a cleat, easy to remove and see what you have underneath.
Tomhenritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Ron and Lilla McClendon

Watkinsville , Georgia
OOPS! Sorry for the double message. I didn't intend to send.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I now need to find out how to use Apple TV.
Ron
Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

2017 27' International
La Quinta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomhenritze View Post
In my 2017 27fb, there is a 1x2 splitter under the DVD player which would push the DVD to both tvs. I replaced it with a 4x2 splitter so I could add Apple TV, and other inputs. Now I can play a different source in each room. There are only 2 screws holding the DVD box to a cleat, easy to remove and see what you have underneath.
I'm a newbie and get confused easily. With the 4x2 splitter, where do you locate the Apple TV? What cables run where?

Thanks much.

Mike
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Ron, may seem too simple but are you sure you've set the "source" to the bedroom TV to the DVD option with that remote control?

Happy Camping 🤔

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
In my 27fb, the DVD player is in the overhead locker, which is where all the audio video cables terminate. I pulled the DVD enclosure out, and pushed all the cables up through the grommet in the back corner. I reinstalled the DVD enclosure and placed the 4x2 splitter on top. That is where I placed my satellite dish receiver, Apple TV, Xbox, and an iPhone connector. That way I can switch between sources and outputs right from inside the locker without swapping cables. I also installed an audio switch so I can alternate between my xm radio, tv, and iPod for stereo within the coach. Once you take it apart, it is pretty easy to see what goes where. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
RonMcMusic...when you said there was only one HDMI cable coming from your player, this cable actually goes to an HDMI splitter buried underneath. If your AS came with two TV's then likely it has a splitter. There is a similar thread link below where I posted my journey in trying to get audio to play on the TV's. HDMI splitters are tricky in that there apparently is a sequence that needs to be followed in hooking everything up called HDMI "handshake".
It sounds like your problem is not exactly the same, but maybe will supply additional insight.

I certainly admire the other posters here who are connecting more sources than just the supplied two way splitters....probably above my pay grade.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...re-169392.html
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
Ron and Lilla McClendon

Watkinsville , Georgia
Thanks for the responses!
We bought our 2013 27FB used from a dealer. Looking back, our "intro session" was far from ideal. There were a number of important issues which would have been obvious to an experienced Airstreamer. Once we signed the check they were done with us and pushed us out the door!
The bedroom TV never worked with the Blu-Ray player but the dining room TV did. When I pulled the Blu-Ray cabinet it was obvious why. There was no splitter. I have no clue as to why. No idea if previous owner removed it or if it was never installed.
I connected the player output to the other HDMI cable and the bedroom TV worked fine. I wanted both to work so I ordered a 1 in/2 out unpowered splitter from Amazon for about $10. Yesterday I connected the splitter and set the TV's to the correct HDMI input. Neither would work. I tried various combinations of turning devices on and off. Nothing worked. I even tried just one HDMI cable connected to see if one TV would work with the splitter. Nothing. Each still works when the player output is directly connected to a single HDMI cable. The good news is that the dining room TV has the red/white RCA plugs attached to send the audio back to the stereo and that works.

I looked online and there are powered splitters available. Is this what I need? If so, should it be mounted on top of the cabinet due to possible heat issues? Or maybe the unpowered splitter I bought is defective?

What type splitter came standard with the trailer when it was new? I am still on the low end of the learning curve regarding audio/video in the Airstream but Apple TV is likely to be included in our future plans. Should I get a 4 X 2 splitter to allow for future uses? Powered or unpowered?

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
Ron
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
I put in a 4x2 splitter on top of the cabinet and fed the hdmi cable up through the back grommet. I attach my Apple TV, DVD, iPhone, and satellite to the splitter. No problems with heat. I Velcro everything so it doesn't slide around.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The HDMI splitter that was installed from the factory in our '16 25ft. FB was a 1x2 powered splitter. There is no issue with heat. Perhaps the unpowered passive splitter you bought is the problem.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Ron and Lilla McClendon

Watkinsville , Georgia
You were correct. Sorry for the delay in responding.
Thanks!
Ron