Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Can't Hear the Dialog on DVDs

I tried to post this on another thread, but my question got lost. So I thought I'd start my own thread.

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm not sure if our Sony receiver is broken, or if we just have to change some settings. To summarize the problem:
  • When playing a DVD the dialog on the DVD is silent, but all the other sound comes in just fine through the front speakers only. The back (bedroom) speakers don't seem to have any problems, the sound comes in fine.
  • When the TV is on, the sound coming through the speakers is weak and tinny - and that's with the sound turned way up.
Does this sound like broken speakers, a broken receiver, or do we just have to change some setting.

For the record, we've played DVD's before and it worked fine.

I appreciate your help on this. Anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated!!
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We routed the radio speaker wires to the DVD player. We now have stereo DVD sound.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I'm not sure if our Sony receiver is broken, or if we just have to change some settings. To summarize the problem:
  • When playing a DVD the dialog on the DVD is silent, but all the other sound comes in just fine through the front speakers only. The back (bedroom) speakers don't seem to have any problems, the sound comes in fine.
  • When the TV is on, the sound coming through the speakers is weak and tinny - and that's with the sound turned way up.
Does this sound like broken speakers, a broken receiver, or do we just have to change some setting.

For the record, we've played DVD's before and it worked fine.
Possibly a stupid question… Does your DVD player have a Karaoke setting? Scrubbing out dialogue while leaving in all other sounds sounds like the way some Karaoke players scrub out vocals while leaving the music in.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's possible the fade and tone settings got changed at some point. Check the stereo, and make sure the fade is centered, and the tone is set to "vocal".
Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Protagonist - Hmmm...good thought. Not sure if the DVd player has the karaoke option, but it' something I can check out.

overlander63 - the fade and balance is set to center, I did make sure of that. I don't remember seeing the "vocal" option though. Not sure where to look for this. I've got the pdf version of the Sony media player User Guide, and the only mention of the word "vocal" is when you set the "equalizer curve". At this point, I'm totally out of my league with this.

We never had this problem before. It's frustrating. If something is broken, it's under warranty - so I'm not worried about that. If necessary, I guess it's just time to call the factory on this.

Thanks again for your help.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote