Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Can roof antenna be installed at an angle?

Installing a new Winegard Sensar IV and my center Fantastic Fan Vent is in the way. I want to use the existing antenna center hole. It will lay flat to the right of the center vent on if I install it at a slight angle. Any negatives to doing this?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yeah. A big negative. It will sit at an angle which looks less than well done.

I don't know if there is a technical reason why it should be level. Appearance was a good enough reason for me.

You can mill a couple of polypropylene mounting pads to make it level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna 001.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	127197  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Installing a new Winegard Sensar IV and my center Fantastic Fan Vent is in the way. I want to use the existing antenna center hole. It will lay flat to the right of the center vent on if I install it at a slight angle. Any negatives to doing this?
As long as you are comfortable that it will still have a low wind resistance when towing, being off line fore and aft should be no problem. I am assuming that this is what you are talking about rather than tilted when upright.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My antenna goes across the top of the fantastic vent. I made a somewhat higher bracket for the antenna to rest on when down.. I am able to open the vent a few inches that way. When camped the antenna is up so no problem with the vent
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Yeah. A big negative. It will sit at an angle which looks less than well done.

I don't know if there is a technical reason why it should be level. Appearance was a good enough reason for me.

You can mill a couple of polypropylene mounting pads to make it level.

It would sit level, just slightly turned. In other words, when it lays flat for travel, it wouldn't lay pointing to the front of the trailer by rather more to the front-side of the trailer.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
There is a new Digital fixed antenna that stands 12" high in a somewhat wing configuration that PPL in Houston carries. Used RVs, Motorhomes, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes The brand name is Jack Antennas I have not tried this antenna. I was considering it to free up roof area for solar panels. It does rotate 360 degrees.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
It would sit level, just slightly turned. In other words, when it lays flat for travel, it wouldn't lay pointing to the front.....
I did the same type of installation on my Tradewind last year. Haven’t had any issues to date.
I did consider making a bracket to support the lift tubes and guide them into position if I found them to be moving and hitting the vent. So far they’ve stayed in place while traveling.
I’ve got a pic somewhere of the finished installation if you’re interested. Looks OK to my eye.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
I did the same type of installation on my Tradewind last year. Haven’t had any issues to date.
I did consider making a bracket to support the lift tubes and guide them into position if I found them to be moving and hitting the vent. So far they’ve stayed in place while traveling.
I’ve got a pic somewhere of the finished installation if you’re interested. Looks OK to my eye.

Tom.
Yeah, I'd love to see it. I can't imagine it would "look bad". It's on the roof.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I must have taken this right after the installation was finished and before I put the new roof vents in.
Somewhere in the trailer’s life she had been towed under a low branch or something, which tore off the antenna, damaged the vents and part of the roof.
The patch under the antenna base covers a multitude of sins, reinforced the torn metal under the base and made everything watertight.

Good luck with your installation,
Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tradewind 008.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	127506  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote