Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
graysailor - I'd really suggest that you get the Dish Hopper since you can with your Trav'ler, and make HEAVY use of the DVR feature. I don't really watch much live TV at all, except maybe the morning shows on the big networks. (I had been watching CNN until they turned into a 24/7 "where's the plane!" channel.)

I believe you said that you got an external hard drive and HD receiver, but there is really no comparison to the Hopper as it can record 3 to 6 programs at a time. Plus, it will record EVERYTHING off of the 4 major networks using "primetime anytime" and it will even auto-skip the commercials if you watch things after 12 to 24 hours.

Heavy reliance on the DVR is really the only way to go! I have hundreds of hours of programs on my Hopper at any time, tailored to my interests. I don't think the basic receiver you have is going to have adequate DVR features to really make TV watching that enjoyable.

WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You can spend over $200 per month for junk channels trying to get one useful one that is only available if one orders the "everything" package. That is a lot of bovine by-products.

The original cable/satellite/radio concept was for the monthly fees one did not get advertising. On some shows, the ads take up over 50% of the hour.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #73
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Yes, I will look into the Hopper. Already have made good use of the Hard Drive. Unless you get lucky that is the only way to go.

It would help if the receiver only showed the channels that you get instead of having to scroll thru a bunch of must pay for programing. I spend a little time everyday playing with the TV and I am slowly learning the short cuts.

TallGuy...I read a report that CNN is stuck on the lost plane because that is what is drawing the ratings. I agree I have had enough also of the "lost plane".
Old 04-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
With most receivers... Or at least with the hopper and I think others as well... You can program in your 'favorite' channels into lists. Then you can see only those channels in the program guide. It does make it a lot easier to see better programming. There should also be a preset list to show only the channels you get. With that preset, it will keep the list up to date as they add and move channels around as the inevitably do. The custom channel lists you make for your favorites will need to be updated a few times per year to account for those changes.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #75
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Another good idea. I will work on making a list of just the channels that I receive with no additional cost.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #76
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Any thoughts about AT&T buying DirectTV? Looking forward too higher prices with zero customer support.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #77

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Breaking Down Satellite TV Dish Options

That will be interesting if the Feds approve. I don't have experience with Direct but one of my happiest days was when I dumped AT&T from my home for my landline and DSL services. I was a gung-ho supporter of them for years for telecommunications services, but their customer service and lack of competitiveness in our local market makes me wonder if this would be a good move.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Not much will change if AT&T buys DirecTV. They both have terrible customer service now. It won't get any worse. If I could get my wife to go along with me, I would not have satellite or cable. We can watch Gomer Pyle, USMC, Petticoat Junction, and The Beverly Hillbillies for free at one of our favorite campgrounds without even raising the antenna.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #79

Fenton , Missouri
I just heard that AT&T announced the purchase today, pending regulatory approval. It will be interesting how long this takes and whether it will be approved.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've been through several Sat antennas over the past few years, with new, improved models being offered every year...

1. we started with a VuCube portable (egg) model - you had to manually find the Sats (only two) using a remote control it was 'clunky' and took a learning curve to be used easily - no HD service...

2. when we got our AS, I installed a Winegard Trav'ler as part of our updating process, as we now had HD tv's. We already had DISH service at home, so we only had to add a VIP211 receiver and we were on the 'air'...EXCEPT when we were parked behind a tree...!

3. I tried using a home-type DISH antenna with the 3 LNB's on a small tripod for those times we expected to be blocked by trees... I wasn't the best solution, as the set-up was a real pain to get manually locked on to the Sat's, finding a clear view, etc... DISH has an APP that shows the approximate position of the Sat's on your iPhone - but it's all but useless..!

4. Today, Using DISH service, I'd go with Winegrard's 'Pathway X1' portable type antenna - it's got the best features for all-around use, IHMO...

a. Portable - allows you to find a clear view of Sat's if you're in the trees.

b. Automatic tracking/setup to find Sat signals - you just enter the State you are in, and the unit finds em'.

d. Doesn't require external power - only the coax cable from the receiver.

e. Uses the DISH VIP211Z receiver, and you can add an external hard drive for video storage if wanted.

f. You can use (2) VIP211Z's on the unit for viewing from two tvs.

g. If you have DISH service at home, it only costs $7/month to add a VIP211Z.

h. If you DON'T have home DISH service, you can have service turned on and off as you need from DISH without fees other than the one month service you select.

i. Winegard also offers a rooftop mount for the Pathway X1 if you decide to mount it up there after all.

j. The only downside is it's 'portability' - could easily be 'borrowed' by some passing scum-bag - it does have a handle that you can thread a locking cable through to secure to some stationary object & slow down a 'borrower'...

We do enjoy our Sat service when out in the boonies. We have even added the All American major network service when we were on an extended road trip to watch our fav network programs...
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #81

Fenton , Missouri
Only clarification is #7 I that if you are a dish subscriber, you can turn the receiver activation on and off by a phone call. The $7 monthly fee is prorated on a per day basis. I'm using the Dish Tailgater with a 211z receiver. I can call Dish and ask them to switch my locals to the area that I'm staying in if I am outside my local spot beam. I'm using an app called Sat Finder HD pro that allows me to point my iPad or an iPhone to the sky. It turns on your camera and you can see if your view is clear for your dish.

Jack

AIR #56