Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Braund Skyliner antenna amplifier needed.

I have a Braund Super Skyliner antenna and the PO took out the Booster amplifier next to the fridge.
See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...and-46990.html for pictures.
Can anyone recommend a replacement, I have 300 ohm antenna wires and the radio wires and I am not sure how to hook a replacement amplifier back up and where do the radio wires go.
I have searched the forums but can not find what amplifier to get or how to hook it up.
I do see for sale amplifiers with coaxial connectors, but that is for 75 ohm wire isn't it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Bruce - you can connect the flat cable to the new coax amplifier with one of the older adaptors. Lowe's still sells them I believe - if you can't find one let me know and I'll mail you one. Just threw two or three of them out but surely there's another one around here someplace. You'll need the adaptor and a short piece of double male coax (there's a double male adaptor for that also). Not perfect but it works.

Presume you've found the Barker/Braund amplifier on-line - $82.99 was the last price I found for one. Not sure about your radio antenna - ours is not linked to the amplifier.

RCA VH54/LVH54 Indoor Matching Transformer Convert Coaxial 75 Ohm to Flat Antenna Lead 300 Ohm Balun Antenna Coax Cable Twin Lead, Gold, Balum, Part # VH-54, LVH-54: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satel

Bottom of the page for double male adaptor

http://www.summitsource.com/advanced...0f9993f98dc97b
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Gary Thanks for the input

I found in my service manual they list the part I need as a Braund Autocoupler with AM/FM radio facility.
The forums and the internet so far are getting my nowhere in my search, I would like to stick with something that will work with 300 ohms but may have to switch to 75 ohms if I can't find anything that will work.

As always your input is much appreciated
Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here is the only amplifier that I've been able to find - but again - you'll have to convert your ribbon wire at the box using the adaptor above.

Braund Ultra-Gain Amplifier by Barker

This one does have FM boost capability but trying to run that to the radio would be a challenge at best. It might be easier to use this at the back of the radio linked to the current radio antenna cable.

AM/FM RADIO ANTENNA BOOSTER - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories

Good luck with your project....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I think what you're looking for is on e-bay now.(12/26/08) Check out item 130277149695.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Found more info

Everyone thanks for the information so far,

Gary, I am still holding out hope to find an original Coupler, the wires for the TV and radio all go to the cutout next to the fridge, there are two TV antenna wires, I assume one coming form the antenna and the other going to the bedroom outlet. There are also two radio antenna wires, I have no idea where they go, the PO has mounted an antenna near the fridge vent and the wire comes in through the vent and is tacked to the ceiling leading to a radio in the front overhead. I have not investigated the wires in the cutout but would assume one goes to the radio in the overhead the other ?

Picture cutout with wires.

I did have another member give me what they thought was a part number but it turned out to be the patent number 3824599.
I did a search on that and found the patent here:
OTHER PUBLICATIONS - Google Patents
According to the patent info it was invented by someone at Barker Mfg, I at least no know what it should look like, it shows a drawing of the unit on the second page, looks just like the one I have in the bedroom but it has a little more to the guts of it.
I thought I should be looking for an amplifier as that is what I have thought everyone was calling this but the patent information would indicate this is a splitter of sorts. The patent calls it a TV/FM/AM antenna coupler.

Here is a picture of the wiring diagram from my service manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna 3.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	72942  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Is this what you're looking for?

I'm getting rid of all my tambour doors as well. They're not in the best of shape, but the handles should be ok (I think).
GoMopar440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
GoMopar440,

Although I have never seen the one you have or the one I think I need, I believe yours is the newer type for coax cable. I need the older one that has screw terminals on the back for the 300 ohm flat antenna cable and connections for the radio antenna wires.

I would love to get you tambour door handles but as of yet can not find anyone who could pick them up for me.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
I'll post pics for you of the back side of it when I pull it down. It's basically the same size as a regular rectangular outlet cover but sticks out about an inch thick instead of laying flat on the wall like the outlet below it.

I saw a square one in a 72 Argosy I looked at a while back. I doubt that it's still there though. I didn't know what it was when I saw it and just thought it was a cigarette lighter socket. LOL!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
GoMopar440, thanks much
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
I got out there today to clean it up a bit and snapped a closer pic of that TV outlet thingy. It IS a cigarette lighter in there! That's really wierd... I would think the heat wouldn't be good next to the other wires when you used the lighter. Is this thing some kind of frankenstien part cobbled together by a PO maybe?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
I got out there today to clean it up a bit and snapped a closer pic of that TV outlet thingy. It IS a cigarette lighter in there! That's really wierd... I would think the heat wouldn't be good next to the other wires when you used the lighter. Is this thing some kind of frankenstien part cobbled together by a PO maybe?

By design, that "IS NOT" a cigarette lighter, but a 12 volt outlet.

If you plugged in a lighter, you will melt the insulation on the wires behind that panel.

What you have is the original design.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
GoMopar440, I'd appreciate a picture of the back side of this when you get a chance also any numbers that are on it even a patent number would help.

Regards,
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
GoMopar440, I'd appreciate a picture of the back side of this when you get a chance also any numbers that are on it even a patent number would help.

Regards,
bmklawt - Will do next time I'm out there.

Andy - If you look closely at my last pic above you can actually read the word "LIGHTER" on the outer chrome ring. It looks exactly like it is one of those push-in to operate cigarette lighters found in older vehicles. This looked odd to me as I figured that the heat from it would melt something in a setup like that.

I don't smoke, so you can guess what's going to happen with the cigarette lighter when I remodel this AS...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
bmklawt - Will do next time I'm out there.

Andy - If you look closely at my last pic above you can actually read the word "LIGHTER" on the outer chrome ring. It looks exactly like it is one of those push-in to operate cigarette lighters found in older vehicles. This looked odd to me as I figured that the heat from it would melt something in a setup like that.

I don't smoke, so you can guess what's going to happen with the cigarette lighter when I remodel this AS...
I can tell you how your trailer was built.

Airstream never installed anything that said lighter, except in the dash of a motorhome.

I would suggest that a previous owner installed what you now have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Well today I finally got the AS moved to a friends place where I can work on it now. I didn't have my camera with me when I was out today so no pics yet. I'll be heading out there for the next three days and I'll get pics of the TV antenna socket thingy then. Those red and black things at the bottom are the screw type terminals as near as I can tell though.

BTW: The "Lighter" thing pulled out and the lighter label was attached to the part that comes out. I had thought it was attached to the wall part. So it MAY be original after all. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
I hadn't forgotten about this, I just haven't been able to get to it yet. After the AC removal, that TV plug thing is the next part on the list to get yanked out.

I've been trying to get it ready to start on the floor ASAP and I really wanted to have it cleared out before I went up to the AS rally in San Antonio Thursday. So, the bigger stuff got priority.

BTW: I was able to save almost all the tambour door handles for you. Only a few were actually missing.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Don't think so...

I pulled the antenna box off the wall today and this is what I found behind it.

A whole lotta not much goin on back there. You still want in it?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Bummer

Thanks GoMopar440 for taking the trouble to look into this and posting the photos. I need a different type of antenna jack that has the splitter for the TV and radio built in.

I bought what I hope is the correct antenna jack recently off eBay, will have to wait and see, hasn't arrived yet.

Much appreciated,
Bruce
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I found two

I found the Braund antenna coupler I needed on eBay, shortly after that I finalized a deal for some parts with a airforums member that included an antenna coupler, I now have two of them, one I believe is an amplified one.
I had been searching for a few months for one of these and now I have two, today I went to Camp America and what do they have sitting on the self, of coarse a NOS Braund antenna coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0493.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	75546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0494.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	75547