Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
Backup camera for trailer

Could a fellow Airstreamer point me towards any forums dealing with backup cameras for the trailer -- not for the tow vehicle. Interested to find out if others have done, equipment used and results.
Thanks,
TKNELLE
TKNELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Good question -- hubby keeps saying how badly he wants one (after I mislead him backing up.....). I think this would solve many problems, lol !
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
J5MM,
Installed wireless unit from Costco on rear license plate of our Yukon XL - no more guessing lining up hitch. Wired to power up when truck put in reverse. Otherwise off.

Now want to investigate what others have done for rear of trailer not only to assist with backing but also to see directly behind trailer when traveling down the road.
TKNELLE

PS we have the same trailer only a 2007 FB SE LS unit w/wrap-around windows on both ends.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm not sure that most of the reasonably priced backup cameras intended for use on the tow vehicle have sufficient range to get good reception if the camera is on teh back of the trailer instead.

I friend of mine bought one of the inexpensive kits - about $70 from Costco - and he opened up the camera and extended the internal antenna using coax cable up to the front of the trailer so that with the camera at the back of the trailer, the antenna effectively is at the front.

I haven't seen it, but he says it works just fine.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer

I friend of mine bought one of the inexpensive kits - about $70 from Costco - and he opened up the camera and extended the internal antenna using coax cable up to the front of the trailer so that with the camera at the back of the trailer, the antenna effectively is at the front...

Brian
If the camera has a detachable antenna, running a suitable coax to the front is a viable solution. If the camera was mounted high (near the marker lights) and angled down, it should provide a commanding view behind the trailer and not be blinded by headlights if you're monitoring what's going on back there. The coax could be secured along the awning rail. The primary decision is how to power the camera. If wired into the backup light circuit, it would only be on when you were in reverse. Maybe the tail light circuit? You could turn the lights on during the day to look back, but at night the camera would be on all the time, suppose you could switch off the monitor if you didn't want to see the line of cars behind you. Who tows at night anyway? :-)

I tried a camera I ordered off the Internet, but it wasn't compatible with my existing monitor, so I'm rethinking my choices. Sure would like to find a 3rd brake light/camera combo. Has anyone seen such a critter?

Look for a monitor that will allow you to reverse the image. Most of us are so accustomed to the rearview mirror that when looking behind with a camera, we get our left and right reversed unless the monitor will reverse the image for us.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNELLE View Post
Could a fellow Airstreamer point me towards any forums dealing with backup cameras for the trailer -- not for the tow vehicle. Interested to find out if others have done, equipment used and results.
Thanks,
TKNELLE
A quick google found a few threads to look through. Google Custom Search

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I installed a wireless camera on the back of our A/S that I bought from 4UCam.com.Bought the CCD Camera/Transmitter (9901T) with Monitor/Receiver (7610) along with the antenna

I attached it to the rear window using a large 100 lbs capicity suction cup. So far it has worked great on short trips, we will be going further this Wednesday,I will report back on how it worked.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
Gary,
Would appreciate hearing more after your outing. Please comment on the image quality while driving and backing up.
Thanks,
TKNELLE
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We just got back from our 3 hour trip camping with the rear mounted camera, here are my observations.

The camera is to wide angle for backing, the field of view is at way to wide to identify anything smaller than a car.
I have the extra antenna with a 10 foot cord, this is not long enough. The picture keeps cutting out or else the static makes it to bad to see anything. I am going to get a longer cord so that the antenna is closer to the front of our 22' Sport.

However when the picture is working correctly the camera does what I want it to, that is it allows me to see behind the A/S and what is along the passenger side.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Did you mount he camera inside the trailer or on the outside ?
Don
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well I seam to recall that if you are married your back up camera is your wife... It seams were ever I go this back up camera comes in all shapes and sizes.. and now come with ether "walkie talkies" or cell phones... the funny thing is the guy in the driver seat never uses this type of back up camera... and the camera (the wife) seams to get very loud and does not know the difference between right and left... or is that the guy driver....

So us single guys look twice and just back up... Good luck in your search for the perfect back up camera...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Deerfield Beach , Florida
Try Rearview safety (they are the ones who make the backup cameras for Costco). I did a little research on their site and they have some pictures and instructions which may help.
Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com
max7157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Thanks Max for that link! I just sent them a question via their contact link; however, has anyone on the forums heard of or saw a backup camera installed on the back of the Airstream and then viewed on the Ford Microsoft SYNC/Navigation Screen?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don.44 View Post
Did you mount he camera inside the trailer or on the outside ?
Don

I mounted it on the outside of the rear window with an industrial strength suction cup. I then ran the wire up onto the roof and fastened the antenna down with Velcro.

Gary
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I bought the RearViewSafety wired system. It's FANTASTIC! infrared light for night and audio and a 7" color display. The wiring was a bit cumbersome but due to interference I feel and mentioned in these forums. I went wired. It's a great sytem and reliable. It solves the behind the trailer sight while traveling and also when backing into storage. The wife loves it as well, being the cheif navigator.

Sphere
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a Peak installed in my trailer rear window. Peak makes a 25' extension cord to connect with the sending unit I have in the back of my p/u.. The wide angle makes it less usefull than I hoped for backing. Also can be used to see traffic behind you. Manufacturer only reccommends intermittant not constant use.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's my run at a wireless system. I am pleased with it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote