Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Autocoupler function

I intend to switch out the antenna connector from the old 2 prong to a coax cable connector using the existing wires. I found the recommended transformer at radioshack that will do that for me but I am not sure of what will happen when I ditch the autocoupler. The owners manual states the autocoupler allows you to use the tv antenna for radio reception, which I can loose since I have a seperate antenna for that.

Is there any other thing I need to be aware of?

Thanks, Paul.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
OK, I'm curious. Why add another antenna for the radio when the TV antenna with the autocoupler works fine?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON

Good question.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
I added the radio antenna a couple months ago when I had the front of the coach torn apart and it was easy to do. At the time I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep the Skyliner or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio antenna.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	153128  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Flynavy

The first question is what sort of radio you are trying to receive -- AM or FM. The answers are very different.

For FM radio, the coupler that you bought at radio shack will work fine. There are combiner devices available at Radio Shack and similar places that will allow you to connect two antennas together, FM and TV, if that's what you're trying to do. The FM Band is in the middle of the TV band so there isn't usually a problem unless you have a device specifically designed to get rid of FM, which you don't.

AM is quite another matter as coupling it with a TV signal would generally involve using the shield connection from the coax, only, for the AM. There are some tricks and it is complicated to get it to work well.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
The new antenna in the pic above takes care of the radio both am & fm, so the radio signal is no longer going thru the autocoupler.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Oh, I didn't realize that you already had a new antenna mounted.

In that case, by all means, simplify. You have no need for the autocoupler.

I have no doubt that a dedicated radio antenna is better. I would not think that it is enough better if you have the one in the TV antenna working and would have to go to the trouble to mount a new one and run the lead through the walls unless you already had access.

Installing one while it was easier was probably a good idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
I know this is an older post but I am hoping to get sometime additional information on my 1974 overlander. Where is the coupler located I have the TV antena that's suppose to work with my radio as well. If I unplug the coax from the radio I loose everything. So it must be connected but I get no A.M. and the F.M. is poor. I am still using the old radio with the 8track in it.
ronsgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Your trailer, like mine, is 38 years old. The fact that you get some reception to me says that is has a connection to the roof antenna.

But the fact that you have poor FM to me means that somewhere there is a bad connection. A cold solder joint, a broken or cracked wire, a poor ground, there are lots of things that could go wrong.

So, what to do? Well, you could look into the beige plastic box nearest your radio that has a 12-volt connection in it. If this is the one that has a sub-connection to your radio, have a very close look at all the connections inside.

When I had one of those connector boxes open on my '74 Sov, I noticed that inside there were a few capacitors, a choke, and a couple of resistors. If any of the caps have dried out, or if a resistor of two have aged poorly and gone to ground, you just replace them.

Or...
  1. Do as the original poster did in post #2, and just put in a new antenna.
  2. Rewire the roof antenna from the antenna to your radio.
Personally I would go with number 1 above; it's likely to be a lot less work. The Service Manual tell where to cut and how to hide the cuts, but to re-do the wiring from the roof to the radio means opening up the central interior ceiling panel, and to me, that sounds a bit scary.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
I agree thanks for the info to be perfectly honest the radio is not a major concern have other things need work priory to that so I will put that on my to do list.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
I do have another question. I have been looking at a number of suggestions on external antenas but just not sure what to get. It kind of looks like that you have to drill 1/2 inch hole to mount it. But how do they mount, is there mounting screws on the outside or would I have to drill large hole on inner skin to mount it. That I don't want to do. I allready have the coax cable so I should be able to fish that through.