Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Simsbury , Connecticut
Argosy Replacement Speakers

Good morning,

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement speakers in my 1976 26' rear bath Argosy? Is there something simple that will go in without having to build a new mount?

Thanks, Gary.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Good morning,

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement speakers in my 1976 26' rear bath Argosy? Is there something simple that will go in without having to build a new mount?

Thanks, Gary.
Great question. I'm just coming to the point myself where I can open up one of the grills and measure the speaker to replace mine .

Solutions run the spectrum from a cheapo replacement from Radio Shack or the like up to something of quality. Just measure the speaker size and shop for a 2way speaker that will reproduce both mids and highs. Should be a standard size, no mods needed.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
An auto stereo shop should be able to match what you have. Take one of the old speakers with.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I replaced the speakers in my Excella a few years ago. Some others chipped in with their choices in this thread. The Sony model XS-R1342 speakers have been replaced by model XS-R1344, but they are equivalent. I added a couple of 1344s when I installed the new stereo but haven't put up a thread yet.

Really, any 5¼" speaker will fit and be a vast improvement.

A search for speaker, stereo, or sound system will yield more threads too.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Any 5 1/4" speaker will fit the stock hole, think automotive speaker. FWIW my OEM ones came from Radio Shack.

Our stereo had been swapped from the original 8 track to a cassette player, time for another upgrade to MP3

Along with a digital LCD/LED television.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Any 5 1/4" speaker will fit the stock hole, think automotive speaker. FWIW my OEM ones came from Radio Shack.

Our stereo had been swapped from the original 8 track to a cassette player, time for another upgrade to MP3

Along with a digital LCD/LED television.

Aaron
Radio shack will work just fine, not much you can do with a 5.25 inch speaker anyway. I also suggest keeping an eye on crutchfield's outlet store as they have brand name speakers for a few dollars more than the generics. I just grabbed a pair of Boston acoustics for $35.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I have been mulling over a few different ideas...

I have been doing some recording in my Argosy. Playback is important.
Big time pro studios usually listen to the mix on a variety of speakers
that the music will be listened on. If you mix down using headphones or million dollar speakers, it might sound bad on car speakers ( Although car sound systems have come a long way).

Besides wanting bookshelf speakers ( in an overhead compartment ?) that can be easily replaced, and brought inside over the winter, I also want some built in speakers. An obvious location is mounting them where the old speakers were ( the wires are already run ) I am thinking about mounting some heavy duty speakers in the sides of my dinette. Keeping in mind two factors.
1) sub woofers can be placed almost anywhere.
2) the high wattage amplifiers that are available now need 110 ac power, so they have built in converters. ( not great for boondocking recording or listening)
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Don't get me started....sorry for being a gearhead

Do a search for Tivoli

They make a variety of very cool desk top music systems that run on 12 volts.
They were in part designed by the guy who designed the very cool vintage KLH Hi Fi systems.

Uh Oh, am I hijacking?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Simsbury , Connecticut
Thanks all! So it looks like any 5.25" speakers will work as long as they are not deeper than 2".
Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Thanks all! So it looks like any 5.25" speakers will work as long as they are not deeper than 2".
Also remember that those brown mounts and grill assembly like I have in my Excella add another inch. Helps a lot. Airstream used them in a lot of models.

Original junk speaker on the left, replacement Sony on the right in the brown factory mount.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Simsbury , Connecticut
This is what the original speaker and surround looked like. I don't think there is any chance I will be able to use the cover with the new speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	159968  
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You're right, those look different.

It's not that I was so crazy about the looks of mine, but they do provide a little extra space. They're behind the curtains, anyway.

Be sure and let us know what you do.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The second set of black and silver is what I have in mine. You can buy enclosures that would allow you to surface mount the speaker so you can use any depth you want.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Anyone thinking of speaker replacement may I suggest JL Audio?

Had an old Avalon I bought for my son that had bad speakers. Found out they only had openings for 4" units. So I put in four 4" speakers and told my son we'd add a sub later.

Didn't need it. Thes speakers REALLY punched FAR above their weight class. The 5.5", 6.25" or 6.5" would only be better.

Sure they won't plumb the lowest depths of pipe organ music but they're the ONLY mobile speakers I'll EVER buy again.

Just as a background on myself. EE Degree but that doesn't make my ears better than anyone else. But, I can tell the difference between mid-fi (Sony, Onkyo, Kenwood) and the McIntosh Pre/Power Amps with Bowers & Wilkins systems I have at home and in the office. Been an amateur audiophile since my Air Force days in the 70's.

I'm currently on the hunt for a Flying Cloud 27FB Twin (After I take delivery of my 2018 Audi Q7 in August) and one of the FIRST things I will do is replace the Clarion head unit with a Pioneer unit I bought for a 911 that never got installed before the car was sold. AND, I have four JL Audio speakers that were purchased at the same time but I "think" they're 4.25".

Also, have a JL Audio 4 channel amp (I think its 75 watts x 4) that's new in the box, but I think that would be overkill/neighbor annoying for the TT. But then again, might be just the thing for a party?
tahiles is offline   Reply With Quote