Old 03-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Apple TV?

A while ago, I wanted to find out how to play movies that are on my iPad on the Airstream TV. I went to the Apple Store and they tried to sell me Apple TV. After a while, they admitted that I could play movies from my iPad to the AS TV just by running an HDMI cable from the IPad to the TV, so I bought the cable instead, which works just fine. However, now I wonder if I am missing something by not having Apple TV. Admittedly a technological luddite, I found the description of Apple TV confusing on the Apple website. Could anyone explain to me what I would gain by having Apple TV instead of just the HDMI cable?

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have access to the the web on your Pad or I Phone anything you can get on them you can show on the TV.

I have Apple TV at home and watch Youtubes quite a bit. It will mirror anything on your Pad/Phone

The limitation in the trailer is are you paying for data or connected to the net other than an Air Card.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You'd be able to do it wirelessly.

Apple TV needs an internet connection to do anything else. I have two at home, but have not bought one for the Airstream. I went the cable route. Simpler is better.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Wireless is going to be the big feature - it replaces (or works in parallel to) your BluRay player, so you could watch on either TV, etc, wirelessly.

If you have some sort of internet available, the AppleTV would let you stream some content directly from the web without the iPad.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Thanks for the replies so far. Does Apple TV facilitate watching television programs over the internet, or is that something that is totally dependent on your computer and cable TV connections?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
You'd be able to do it wirelessly.

Apple TV needs an internet connection to do anything else. I have two at home, but have not bought one for the Airstream. I went the cable route. Simpler is better.
This.

I'm very technical and am deeply ensconced in the apple universe... and the cable is best.

If you went with AppleTV, you'd need a wifi network inside the trailer that it would link to, and then you'd need to link your iPad to that. Now you've got three devices to manage instead of just one. Expensive, time consuming, and more than you need.

The wire allows you to use your setup pretty much everywhere too: friends houses, hotel rooms, etc.... anywhere there's an HDMI connection.

The downside of the wire is... the wire. Buy a very long HDMI cable and that concern pretty much goes away!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Does Apple TV facilitate watching television programs over the internet, or is that something that is totally dependent on your computer and cable TV connections?
It does provide some access. There are some apps that let you watch stuff. But you need that internet connection, which is the problem. I would not recommend relying on a cellular connection to watch TV.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
As I understand it, Apple TV is a device which uses the internet to stream programming such as Sling TV. Many people are fed up with cable but don't want to give up some programming so they use one of the streaming services.
It requires an internet connection but not cable. It also requires a monthly fee for the programs. However Sling TV is $25 instead of $150 for cable.
I doubt that your average campground wi-fi is a fast enough connection to stream programing seamlessly (without freezing).
The issue in an RV is how you get the internet. Many folks use their phone as a wi-fi hotspot, but you need unlimited data, and that slows down as you use more and more.

The pipe is only so big and more and more people want a piece of it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
This.

I'm very technical and am deeply ensconced in the apple universe... and the cable is best.

If you went with AppleTV, you'd need a wifi network inside the trailer that it would link to, and then you'd need to link your iPad to that. Now you've got three devices to manage instead of just one. Expensive, time consuming, and more than you need.

Sorry, not correct - the last two generations of AppleTV do not need a wifi network to connect to and stream wirelessly from your iPad or iPhone, so no router needed. Still, a direct cable connection is very convenient and a good route to go.
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
So, as I understand it, I could only use Apple TV in the Airstream if I had a wireless connection, or created one by using my phone as a hotspot. If I have a typical RV park wireless connection, it probably won't be fast enough to do much more than get email and check in on Airstream Forums anyway. Plus, in an RV park, you often get cable TV anyway. So staying with the HDMI cable to play movies is probably my best bet for the AS.

At home, I could stream movies from my iPad to the TV wirelessly, which would save the trouble of turning the TV around and searching for the HDMI connection. I could also sign up for one of the new less expensive television programming apps, such as mentioned above. This appeals to me, as we have never watched much TV at home, so don't have a cable connection, but there are times, such as the Super Bowl and the presidential debates, that I missed having one. So it looks like Apple TV would be of more interest at home than in the AS.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Sorry, did not see jayseejay's post before posting my latest. So there still might be an advantage in having Apple TV in the AS. Life is never simple!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Virginia near , Washington, D.C.
Can anyone please post more details about the cable option? Is this a lightning to HDMI connector specifically for video? Or using the standard lightning to USB cable? I've always wondered what the USB connectors on TV's are for ... I'd imagine that they can't be for video ... ? Thanks much, Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
It's hdmi.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...duct-MD826AM/A

Some (most?) newer TVs can accept a USB memory stick to play movies etc.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Cohasset , Alaska
The cable is a Lightning to HDMI adapter and you also need a standard HDMI cable to go from that to the television. That should let you do practically anything you can do on your iPhone or iPad on the TV. I have run into a few situations where one of these apps that streams tv shows or movies won't let you go through the wire to the television. How it knows I don't know, but it does. That's not Apples fault, it's a licensing issue where some content is approved for device viewing but blocked from tv that's not at your house where you're subscribed to the channel or service. But you can still stream music, view photos play games on the tv etc.

Rich

Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote