Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm planning on replacing my bluray player with an Apple TV. Don't plan on bringing Blu-ray Discs along. Should be an easy swap.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We have an Apple TV which needs a WIFI network. We use a Netgear WIFI router which creates a network without connecting to the internet. This allows wireless printing, scanning and Apple TV at home and on the road without internet connection. Therefore, no data plan usage.

For those interested, it is a Netgear model MBR624GU. It runs on 12v and came with both 12v lighter plug when not hooked to electric, and 110v adaptor for home or electric at RV park use.
Really nice for locations where there is no internet, or for those, like us, who have a limited data usage plan.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We have 3 AppleTV's at home but, astoundingly, not one in the Airstream - although that might change in the future. As pointed out earlier, one of the downsides when directly connected via cable is having to get up and punch the iPad to pause.

My current set-up is a MacMini directly wired via HDMI to the main room TV. We also have an old router in the trailer that's just there to facilitate wireless transmission (mirroring) from an iPad or iPhone.

When watching in the bedroom, I use Plex. It's installed on the Mac and then can shoot the video to the iPad which is connected via HDMI to bedroom TV. I have a set of small brackets to hold the iPad flush against the wall above the TV while it's attached.

So, no AppleTV in the trailer yet.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Trying to find out about Plex. How does it interface with iTunes, Amazon etc. Says you can stream your video library but iTunes, Netflix, Amazon protect their libraries. I suppose if you're ripped a ton of movies Plex might be useful if you don't use iTunes.

Kelvin
Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Trying to find out about Plex. How does it interface with iTunes, Amazon etc. Says you can stream your video library but iTunes, Netflix, Amazon protect their libraries. I suppose if you're ripped a ton of movies Plex might be useful if you don't use iTunes.

Kelvin
Sorry about leaving that piece out. I have actually ripped my entire video library and copied it to the MacMini that's in the Airstream. That was one of the reasons for keeping the Mac in the AS - it functions as a media library. Plus, it's a small form and we used a wall-mounting bracket so it fits nicely and unobtrusively. That's how we use Plex. It eliminates having to remember to load something onto the iPad before each trip.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Apple TV?

So I got it plugged in, and it works. That was the easy part. But I can't figure out how to make it work without a network. Unless the iPad and the Apple TV are connected to the same wifi network, the Apple TV won't show up as an AirPlay option.

Thankfully my Jetpack creates a wifi network, so it's running, but now I'm afraid the Apple TV is going to consume all my data. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	281595
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Give it some time, I thought the same thing. If it's a newer Apple TV, it will be able to connect with Bluetooth, but it might take a couple minutes.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
You can create an ad hoc network between the ATV and iPad to use material on the iPad.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
So I got it plugged in, and it works. That was the easy part. But I can't figure out how to make it work without a network. Unless the iPad and the Apple TV are connected to the same wifi network, the Apple TV won't show up as an AirPlay option.

Thankfully my Jetpack creates a wifi network, so it's running, but now I'm afraid the Apple TV is going to consume all my data. Any suggestions?

Attachment 281595

Read my post #22
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #30
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
My understanding is that with the new Apple TV (latest generation), you don't need wifi to have movies from your iPad show on your TV via the Apple TV. Is this correct?
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
My understanding is that with the new Apple TV (latest generation), you don't need wifi to have movies from your iPad show on your TV via the Apple TV. Is this correct?
Correct, all you need is Bluetooth.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
HDMI cable makes everything easy, simple & less money out of pocket to enjoy your stored media on your Android or iOS. Streaming divices need Internet connection & data (wired or not). However, USB connected gadgets such as thumb drives, card readers and even some portable hard drives can be played on newer Smart Tv.
ReySFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I copied this from another website but it was easier than me retyping it:

Quote:
How to Use Peer-To-Peer AirPlay

Peer-to-peer AirPlay isn’t one of those easy-to-use Apple features. You really have to go through a bit of effort to get it to work. Ideally, AirPlay should just failover to peer-to-peer mode if your Apple TV or source device aren’t on the WiFi network. Instead, Apple has given their users a kludgy rattletrap of settings changes and restarts. Obviously, peer-to-peer AirPlay is something you’ll use only when you have to use it.

This article assumes that you have already updated your Apple TV and iOS device with operating systems that support peer-to-peer AirPlay. If not, please refer to the previous system requirements section. This article also assumes that you are using an Apple TV 4 and iOS device. The process is similar for an Apple TV 3 or Macintosh.

First, start up your Apple TV and launch the Settings app. Click on network and then Wi-Fi. If you are currently connected to a WiFi network, click on this network. You will see the WiFi settings screen for this network. Click on Forget Network. We need to make sure Apple TV is not connected to any WiFi network for peer-to-peer AirPlay to work.

Your iOS device should also be disconnected from any WiFi network. This isn’t mandatory, and in some cases it may be beneficial to leave it on. I’ve found peer-to-peer AirPlay to be more reliable when WiFi is turned off. Tap on Settings > Wi-Fi. Next, tap on the “i” button next to the connected WiFi network. Tap on “Forget This Network”. Peer to peer AirPlay operates over Bluetooth, so it needs to be turned on. If it isn’t already on, swipe up from the bottom of any screen to reveal Control Center. Tap on the Bluetooth button to turn it on. Also, make sure that WiFi is turned on, even though you’re not connected to a network. It’s needed to display the AirPlay control, which should now show up. If you don’t see the AirPlay control, try moving your iOS device close to your Apple TV. If you still don’t see it, try restarting your iOS device. When it comes back online, you should see the AirPlay control. If not, try restarting your Apple TV. Peer to peer AirPlay is a messy, kludgy feature. Most problems can be solved by restarting your iOS device and Apple TV.

The AirPlay control should now be visible on your iOS device. Tap on the control. If you don’t see your Apple TV listed, move your iOS device closer to your Apple TV. If you plan on using screen mirroring, keep in mind that your iOS device has to be very close to your Apple TV. This makes it less useful for presentations.

Your iOS device may prompt you for an AirPlay password. If this is the case, you will see a 4 digit passcode displayed on your Apple TV. Enter the 4 digit code on your iOS device.

When you finally manage to connect via AirPlay, you are limited as to what you can beam. Music works well, but videos do not. I was able to use my cellular data connection during a peer-to-peer AirPlay session. Unfortunately, Netflix and YouTube wouldn’t work. I had a video Podcast downloaded, and was able to successfully beam it to Apple TV. Some streaming video apps may work. There are reports that Hulu works with peer-to-peer AirPlay. Make sure to try both screen mirroring and “standard” AirPlay.
NOTE: I have used peer-to-peer airplay for almost every function without any issues. I have streamed Amazon, Netflix, locally stored videos, and YouTube.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
How was it getting the Blu-Ray player out? Pretty easy? I would like to add apple tv but have read you can somehow plug it into an hdmi switch and connect all devices in the overhead compartment. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post

Attachment 281595
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
How was it getting the Blu-Ray player out? Pretty easy? I would like to add apple tv but have read you can somehow plug it into an hdmi switch and connect all devices in the overhead compartment. Thanks!
Check out this thread;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...as-163507.html

We installed a switch and can watch either Appletv or blue ray or TV on either tv. And it's pretty easy to do!