Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Anyone interested in wireless speaker?

I own a 2006 25' Safari SE that came with a wireless speaker option that cost $278 at the time. When I made a warranty claim on my speaker, Airstream shipped me a completely new unit, to include a paste on "Airstream" sticker. This is the exact same set-up that came with the trailer when I took delivery in Feb. 2006.

My wife and I have subsequently decided to use an iPod with a special Bose speaker for our outside music and no longer want this speaker. It is new in the box direct from Airstream and hasn't even been taken out. We want to sell it. The buyer would have to wire it up himself so I'm not trying to say it's worth $278. Any interested party can call me at 505-988-2131

Joe

Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm interested in finding out more. I will call. If I don't get you on the phone can I rig this up to work with my existing aftermarket unit I have in my 71 Tradewind. What would I have to do?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks for the calls. Unit sold
Old 03-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I bought this unit and hooked her up today. Seems to work OK and do what I hoped it would. Specifically I can take it outside or move it around without worrying about speaker wires.

It is an Advent ADVW801. It came with a little decal that says AIRSTEAM so AIRSTREAM call sell it for twice as much as you can buy it elsewhere. The speaker can work off D cells or a 110 transformer. The manual is a little confusing about using rechargable or regular D cells but if you put 8 rechargable D cells in the battery unit of the speaker you can plug in the battery pack to the 110 transformer and recharge them. 8 rechargable D cells at Radio Shack prices will set you back about $65. Anyone know of a better place to buy batteries. The speaker runs on 15v and the transmitter on 12v. I assume I can power the transmitter through a cigarette lighter adapter. Originally I was going to hard wire the transmitter in but it will also plug into my headphones jack on my audio unit so that's the way I went.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Which Sounddock did you get? The Portable one?
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know what you mean by "soundock". For IPOD? I'm still living in the 20th century. My source is an Audiovox AM/FM CD player which is fine for me. Maybe ignorance is bliss, or I'm too lazy to transfer my music, but sorting through CDs rather than scrolling though endless song lists is something I'm comfortable with. A challenge: you can try to talk me into current technology if you want, but I don't know if this old dog can learn new tricks or wants to. I still have my old vinyl and turntables. Do you know what a "record" is?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Yes, I have 5 records in fact, that I bought when I was at a rally in fact. I was really asking mistermcfrug about the sounddock, Its a Bose speaker for the Ipod.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
I don't know what you mean by "soundock". For IPOD? I'm still living in the 20th century. My source is an Audiovox AM/FM CD player which is fine for me. Maybe ignorance is bliss, or I'm too lazy to transfer my music, but sorting through CDs rather than scrolling though endless song lists is something I'm comfortable with. A challenge: you can try to talk me into current technology if you want, but I don't know if this old dog can learn new tricks or wants to. I still have my old vinyl and turntables. Do you know what a "record" is?

I won't try to talk you into current technology but I will tell you what you may be missing. I have 3 iPhones and 2 iPods in use by my family. I have over 200 hours of music loaded on to an iMac. Each device gets a custom music selection loaded onto it setup by the user of the device, I tend to like Audible books, my teenage son likes rock and roll. I can find any song, artist, or album in a matter of seconds using the scroll list. I use an fm transmitter to send music to my trailer or truck radio. Our music collection is completely legal and to carry all those CD or Vinyl albums around in the trailer is not pratical. Since you have vinyl you may be interested in using an usb turntable a very easy way to get all that nice vinyl collection into digital format and protect your collection. I will also plug satellite radio, it can't be beat when traveling on the road. The FM transmitter in my unit is strong enough that I leave it on and when I park my truck close to my trailer I can tune in the sat. radio and listen to radio Margaritaville, or Sirius Blues in the trailer. BTW I too still have my old vinyl and turntable but I can't carry it on a belt clip, make a phone call and surf the internet with it. Enjoy the music and if you decided to move on to newer technology many are here to give you tips.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I want a itouch!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
I want a itouch!!!!
What is nice about the iPhone is you do not have to have a WIFI connection to use the internet. I leave the WIFI and Blue Tooth turned off most of the time, saves battery and just use the phone data service to surf. The iPhone is the only phone my wife has learned to use all the features on.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I just dont want to switch to AT&T, or I might do it. And if it had more gigs, Im looking at the 32 gig Itouch, or the 80gig Classis

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thumbs up

Hey Jim, does the USB turntable require recording into a computer w/sound editor or can you just hook your ipod up to it? I currently run vinyl thru stereo into macbook into Audacity editor and have to save as mp3's. works great but time consuming and I'd like a quicker solution (since I have 14 feet of vinyl!).

also: the welder (machine, not me) worked like a charm, dude! after practicing on the bedframe (which is now modern art) I knocked out the pan tabs in about an hour. they're already POR'ed and I can return the Lincoln at your convenience or wait till you get your axle (soon?) and bring it then, since I'll be helping you on that one...

best,

rick o. fotochop
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
Hey Jim, does the USB turntable require recording into a computer w/sound editor or can you just hook your ipod up to it? I currently run vinyl thru stereo into macbook into Audacity editor and have to save as mp3's. works great but time consuming and I'd like a quicker solution (since I have 14 feet of vinyl!).

also: the welder (machine, not me) worked like a charm, dude! after practicing on the bedframe (which is now modern art) I knocked out the pan tabs in about an hour. they're already POR'ed and I can return the Lincoln at your convenience or wait till you get your axle (soon?) and bring it then, since I'll be helping you on that one...

best,

rick o. fotochop
As far as I know they have to be used with a sound program. The iPod transfer is not a bad idea.

Glad you had good luck with the welder and can move on. Wait until the axle arrives. If I need it sooner I will let you know, I am in your area twice a day to drop off and pickup Justin anyway.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost