Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Any way to get DVD audio through the Aquos LCD in my 2005 Safari???

Hello all...I have an '05 Safari with A/V upgrade (JVC DVD/CD & Sony Aquos LCD..subwoofer, etc.) and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure something out.

Is there anyway to turn off the main interior speakers and just be able to listen to a movie through the TV?? There are 2 sets of red/white RCA cables connected to the rear of the TV inputs so there has GOT to be a way to do this. I e-mailed AS about this and Tim said, "no, the head unit supplies audio through the interior speakers only". I'm baffled then as to why there are 2 sets of audio cables connected into the TV?!

I spoke with another AS owner today who has the Sony head unit and he said he IS able to switch DVD audio between his TV and the interior speakers. When the children are sleeping at night, it would be nice to watch a movie without it being so loud (even when I fade from rear speakers to front speakers only). Conversely, it would be nice not to hear Cinderella in surround sound all the time!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Mike,
We may have the same, or similar model. I have since upgraded to a larger model, but if I recall the AV2 input (on the left side, if you're facing the TV) can be switched, via the setup menu, to either audio output for for external speakers/amp, or to audio in for the internal speakers. I don't know if this is your model, but here is a link to a model very similar to mine. Page 27 explains the menu choices, and page 42 gives a diagram of the various inputs.

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_man_LC13_15B6U.pdf

Good luck.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 73 Overlander and I run my DVD through my trailer speakers. It sounds awesome. Just like the movies. I bought a car radio with an auxillary jack for MP3 players and other audio devices. I run the audio wire from the DVD to the auxillary jack of my radio. I put the radio on auxlliary mode. I run the video wire from the DVD to my TV. My son did all of this for me when I could not figure it out. You wll have to buy an extenison cord that will fit the plugins of your DVD unless your radio sits next to it. I hide mine and run it across the trailer.

They do have wireless devices to run from the DVD to the radio. I went and bought the cheapest one last week and it did not work. I good ones are pretty pricey.

Brian
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi SR,

Thanks so much for your reply - you hit the nail on the head. I knew there must be a way to do this with 2 sets of audio cables connected to the rear of the TV I just didn't see that one menu setting you pointed out.

For some reason AS has run the yellow video with L&R audio cables into the AV 1 input and the cords are to short to switch it to the AV 2 inputs. I did however test out AV 2 using my iPod touch with A/V cables and I finally got audio out of the TV with the new settings. Is there any way to turn on the audio for 'AV 1'?? If not, I'll have to work at getting the cables switched over to AV 2.

Thanks again for your suggestion and I'll have to let AS know there is a simple solution to this.

Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote