Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thumbs up Antennae wire location

Hello all. Can anyone tell me where the radio and TV antennae terminate inside my '71 Tradewind LY twin beds? Have found 2 strange looking plugs w/12v and another plug on one outlet plate. Could this be for tv? One of these is located in refrigerator cabinet between upper and lower cabinet. Other one located curbside bed area. If these are tv plugs, how would you convert them to coax? Any source for parts?
Thanks in advance for your efforts on my behalf,
Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
You’re correct. The plate with the two pins and the 12 volt plug above the fridge is for the twin-lead 300 ohm antenna wire used in that period. The plate above the bed, at least on mine, only has the 12-volt cigarette lighter type plug.
This weekend’s project was to finish pulling coax for the new Batwing. Unfortunately the twin-lead runs through a couple of ribs and makes too many bents to use as a fishtape to feed new wire.
I had to remove the lights from the center vents and drill out the rivets on the center headliner panel. This gave access to the wiring and interior space. The drop from the roof to the splitter above the fridge was easy enough. The pull to the bedroom took two nights to fish around ribs and down walls.
As far as parts, the new antenna came with a new plate, with 12 volt plug and splitter built in. I used the old plate in the bed room after drilling a new hole and installing a coupler for the coax. I suppose you could find all the plates and cables at the local hardware store.
This turned into a bigger project than I thought. Good luck with yours.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I think I will get lucky with fishing our coax. I have 2 small (3" x 3") holes in the floor. One right beside the front cabinet next to the wall (and right where we are building a slender TV cabinet for flat screen to slide up out of). The other hole is inside the thin storage area on the other side of the entrance door to the camper. I am going to feed the coax to the bedroom through these holes to avoid the doorway, then feed it inside the camper behind the kitchen sink cabinet, center bath straight to the bedroom. I was happy when I finally figured out I wouldn't have to remove a rivet to accomplish that!
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The radio antenna lead is in or behind the front storage locker.

I could not fish my coaxial either. I drilled a hole so that it came out just inside the fridge vent and ran the coaxial through the overhead storage lockers. You can't really see it.

I tried to use the existing flat antenna wire by putting on a 300/ 75 ohm transformer on each end and then connecting to coaxial, but it did not work. (see thread fishing for coaxials in the desert)