Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2002, 08:20 AM   #1
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Antennae On Overlander

Anyone ever replaced their antenna with something different?? I am talking about the T.V. antenna. Mine is leaking and rusted and not worth a hoot. I don't think a batwing antenna will work because of the way it lays down. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Jimmy,
I'm assuming your referring to the Skyliner rooftop crankup one right? They are still available in 2 models, original and booster (gets better reception and corrosion resistant), the better one costs about $150 if I remember correctly and are not hard to change out. Also parts are available too.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:57 AM   #3
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Mine is the original that came on a 1969 Ovberlander. I want to replace, but not sure which is the best kind....I have heard the "batwing" antennas are great, but with the location of the solardomes on a Overlander, I don't think it will fit....Who sells the kind you are referring to??? I am very interseted.....

TIA
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Skyliner

Is the Skyliner antennae really still available and if so where can I get one? I have heard there are parts available but I would rather just replace it all. I took the original one off of my Overlander, it was a real pain to get off, I had to take a torch to the inside crank handle since it was frozen on to the shaft due to water leaking through the mount. I almost melted the pot metal handle and the inside trim piece caught fire. It also has the old flat cable and would like to change it over to coax, maybe impossible? There are two outlets inside that will need to be rewired to coax as well. Or should I leave the flat cable and just convert it to coax with adapters?

(I do like playing with fire !!)

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Chas,

Since you ar not afraid to tackle a tough one. I would reccomend getting a Winegard Batwing. The rooftop cradle will hold it off the center dome so the antenna can be down and you can still open the vent.

The antenna is easy to install the instructions are clear and well thought out. One bit of advice is to measure and trust the chart on shaft length and ceiling thickness. Otherwise you will be making a trip to the RV store for a new crank handle.

As to the change out of the flat wire for coax. All you have to do is pull the center roof sheet down and you can get to all of the wires. They are taped in a bundle so you cannot pull out the old as you pull in the new. Also the batwing stye antenna has the downlead go into the coach thru it's baseplate.

The center sheet is not hard to pull, just drilling out some rivets and removing lights and vents. It is a bit big and the insulation may fall on your head, but I love the clear reception I get plus I no longer have wet carpet under the antenna crank!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
found one!!

Thanks for the tips on the antennae. I ordered a new Super Skyliner (boosted) from my local A/S dealer today. The price seems awful low so for only $120 I jumped on it, leading me to believe it is either incomplete or incorrect but the part lady assured me "it is the real deal". I am usually floored whenever I get A/S parts prices, dealer or otherwise. I will keep you all posted on the outcome. I think I paid $150 for a boosted Winegard batwing a year or so back. I am debating on dropping the center ceiling panel to change the flat cable to coax, it is a long piece which ties in to the front and rear domes somehow, I might be opening a can of worms?

Chas
Old 01-20-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
On a related topic, I'm needing the plug-in that fits the original outlet on the wall - the one in combo with the 12v outlet. One would think Radio Shack would have it, but they don't. C&G in Bellflower says they are no longer available.

Anyone out there who has one they no longer need? I can pay top dollar!!! <G>
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
sonnys camp and travel

sonnys has the amplified 12 volt socket you are looking for for around 36 dollars.

You can go online at WWW.sonnyscamp.com

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Finally got my new boosted Skyliner antennae from my dealer. I think Airstream ships their stuff by boat around the tip of South America. Not as cheap as the $120 they originally quoted me, it was $150 plus freight and tax. I am not looking forward to it but I may have to pull the center ceiling down to replace the cabling just as thenewkid said.

I feel lucky and am really surprised that they still even make the Skyliners anymore, don't all the new A/S's have Winegards?

Chas
Old 02-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
mine does

chas,

my '92 has the bat wing.

when did they switch?

any one know?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:37 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Chas,

All the new AS do have the "batwing" type antennas. I installed one on my MH because some PO replaced the skyliner with a weird one that leaked. I could have saved 25 bucks and gotten a generic batwing, but I felt the parts availability would be better on a standard antenna.

The install on the Batwing was pretty straightforward. I did pull my center sheet back to the AC so I could get to the wires. This was another story. The PO that had the antenna installed had the wire run on the exterior skin and screwed to the skin and sealed with clear sealant. Then over the roof locker that was over the tv spot just drilled thru both inner and outer skins and stuffed the wire thru!

If the new skyliner has a base plate to feed the cable thru you will also need to do some sealing on the roof. The original wires enter the trailer under a small alumimum plate that is screwed to the skin with 4 screws and then covered with a liberal amount of vulcem. I cleaned the vulcem off, removed the plate and the wire stub that was left by the PO and reinstalled the plate with fresh vulcem under and over the plate and it's screws. I thought about patching over this spot as I did where the wire went thru at the roof locker, but I may want to use the enrty point later for something else so I just sealed it up like the factory did.

I also left the antenna rest on the roof that was installed to cradle the skyliner. I use it to rest the batwing in and it keeps the antenna off the center roof vent so I can open it even with the it down.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-07-2003, 09:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I will probably wait on the install of the Skyliner. The duct tape over the holes is still holding up! It is the amplified version which means I will probably be required to use the supplied coax feed in order to make it amplified. It still has the original flat cable installed somewhere between the skins. The wife will probably start freakin' if she sees me tearing the ceiling apart with the Austin Forums rally less than a month away. It is still up on jackstands awaiting the new shocks and brakes, carpet and toilet are out and still waiting for the curtains.

Don't worry john, I'll be there!!

Just curious, if Airstream doesn't use the Skyliner anymore then who does? Seems strange that I can get one from Airstream through my dealer when almost everything else I need is only available from non-OEM sources like Inland RV.

Chas
Old 02-07-2003, 09:49 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Chas,

My understanding is that the Skyliner is a very sensitive antenna that works better than the batwing. There are many more parts and for a once or twice a year user I assume that they have a higher repair rate. With more campgrounds offering cable and the sat dishes being used so much I think users in the US are as concerned with the ability to bring in the distant stations. The vintage market, I would think is the main reason that they are still available.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 02-10-2003, 08:37 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
My original antenna is shot. It's bent and the crank mechanism is worn out. I was planning to replace it with a batwing but after some thought I was also thinking about getting a satellite dish. I have Direct Tv in the house and was thinking about just taking my receiver with me when I travel. I could just set up a dish at the camp site. I will have to find a single LNB dish and build a mount. Will any brand dish work with my Direct Tv receiver? Where can I get just a single LNB dish without buying the receiver? I may install both the antenna and the dish so I would have an option if too many trees blocked the satellite. What do you think?
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Check out Skyvision.com, they have anything you would need.

Chas
Old 03-03-2003, 03:19 PM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
batwing antenna

I noticed several of you have installed the batwing on your trailers or motorhome. I will be installing one as soon as the weather breaks. I also have the standoff from the previous antenna to keep the batwing off the vent cover but does anyone know if the wind when going down the road will damage the batwings or the antenna weight hanging on the end of the arm will result in any problems or damage? I will be removing the previous antenna that had a round housing with a motorized directional antenna inside the housing. I hope the new antenna will use most of the current holes. If anyone has done this conversion please advise.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I have installed both types, the original Skyliner and the Winegard batwings on Airstreams. If you want to keep it simple stick with the Skyliner if that is what you originally have. The batwings are meant to hug the roof of the trailer which can be a problem in close proximity to the vents. They could probably fly off if they aren't cranked all the way down. I think A/S started installing the batwings in the 80's, an ok, popular antennae but cheaply made in my opinion. They look much better on a "white box" trailer. The new Skyliners haven't changed much, same mounting holes but they do give you the option of feeding the cable up thru the baseplate. I ran my cable just like the old one, crudely with the hole and a plate screwed down over the coax and caulked with Vulkem. Something about having all those old fashioned household looking aluminum elements popping up from the top of an A/S just looks so classic!

Chas
Old 03-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
antenna

I had the skyliner on my 1966 airstream trailer and was well pleased with it. My current antenna is an enclosed round motorized directional that has bit the dust. I purchased the winegard with the thought that this was being used on all current rv's. When I realized it was made to lay down flat on the roof of the motorhome I got concerned about the weight hanging on the end of the antenna arms after having it lay in the current bracket to keep it off the vent, plus the batwings flopping in the wind. It will be behind the front airconditioner that will provide some protection. I just wonder how important it is for the winegard to lay flat on the roof or the result of it being up in the air with the only support being the spacer bracket to keep it off the vent?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote