Old 02-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Check out Skyvision.com, they have anything you would need.

Chas

Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 PM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
batwing antenna

I noticed several of you have installed the batwing on your trailers or motorhome. I will be installing one as soon as the weather breaks. I also have the standoff from the previous antenna to keep the batwing off the vent cover but does anyone know if the wind when going down the road will damage the batwings or the antenna weight hanging on the end of the arm will result in any problems or damage? I will be removing the previous antenna that had a round housing with a motorized directional antenna inside the housing. I hope the new antenna will use most of the current holes. If anyone has done this conversion please advise.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I have installed both types, the original Skyliner and the Winegard batwings on Airstreams. If you want to keep it simple stick with the Skyliner if that is what you originally have. The batwings are meant to hug the roof of the trailer which can be a problem in close proximity to the vents. They could probably fly off if they aren't cranked all the way down. I think A/S started installing the batwings in the 80's, an ok, popular antennae but cheaply made in my opinion. They look much better on a "white box" trailer. The new Skyliners haven't changed much, same mounting holes but they do give you the option of feeding the cable up thru the baseplate. I ran my cable just like the old one, crudely with the hole and a plate screwed down over the coax and caulked with Vulkem. Something about having all those old fashioned household looking aluminum elements popping up from the top of an A/S just looks so classic!

Chas
Old 03-03-2003, 04:51 PM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
antenna

I had the skyliner on my 1966 airstream trailer and was well pleased with it. My current antenna is an enclosed round motorized directional that has bit the dust. I purchased the winegard with the thought that this was being used on all current rv's. When I realized it was made to lay down flat on the roof of the motorhome I got concerned about the weight hanging on the end of the antenna arms after having it lay in the current bracket to keep it off the vent, plus the batwings flopping in the wind. It will be behind the front airconditioner that will provide some protection. I just wonder how important it is for the winegard to lay flat on the roof or the result of it being up in the air with the only support being the spacer bracket to keep it off the vent?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote