Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Antenna ID help needed

After fitting my Overlander for an HD antenna (Adventures of a Curious Fellow: It Was Time for Better Reception), I was inspired to add one to the house in case of emergency, or when we finally decide the cable company is charging too much.

Today, I picked up these two antennae at a yard sale. I believe the top one is a dedicated HD-range-frequency antenna, and the bottom one is supposed to pick up everything.

Did I ID the antennae correctly? Would a better picture help?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennae.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	216199  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The upper one is a UHF frequency only Yagi antenna and is very directional. The lower one is a UHF/VHF antenna, also directional but a bit less so than the upper one. VHF was the old channel 2 -13, UHF was 14 and up. Also, all channels 2-6 are now re allocated to other uses, so they no longer are in use at all, but 7-13 still are depending on the area.

Much off the air TV now is on the old UHF frequencies even if the channel still says they are (for example) channel 8. They may be broadcasting at some other frequency now. If they say they are channel 2-6 they are definitely not broadcasting at those channels anymore, but 7-13 could be or not. Yes, it is confusing.

Your lower antenna is "cut" for all old and new channels, 2-13 and 14 and above, even if 2-6 are no longer in operation.

I have been looking for the list I have seen of what your "local" stations are actually broadcasting on now, but cannot find it. Someone else may have a reference that would allow you to look up your local stations and see if they are now on the old VHF system of 7-13 or have moved to the 14 and up frequencies of UHF now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks, idroba - I appreciate your insight.

Our local stations now all transmit on HD channels; plans are to mount the upper antenna to my chimney & point is to Montesano Mountain where most of the transmitters are.

Thanks again,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Antennaweb.org will give you a list of transmitters within range of your location and tells you what kind of antenna is needed to receive them. The list will tell you the actual transmit channel as well as the pid channel. Here for example the old channel 2 transmits 2 in the pid information but actually transmits on 11.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
After fitting my Overlander for an HD antenna (Adventures of a Curious Fellow: It Was Time for Better Reception), I was inspired to add one to the house in case of emergency, or when we finally decide the cable company is charging too much.

Today, I picked up these two antennae at a yard sale. I believe the top one is a dedicated HD-range-frequency antenna, and the bottom one is supposed to pick up everything.

Did I ID the antennae correctly? Would a better picture help?

Thanks,
Tom
Hey that blog entry is brilliant! I've been looking for a vintage antenna for awhile, this will allow me to use a new antenna and my old rotor which I love. Now I just need to find someone to make me that adaptor! I'm so glad you posted this .
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote