Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I was thinking of adding one of these to my skyliner setup

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=17102

think it would work? this would actually replace the original 12v receptacle/2-pin antenna plug. I couldn't find a 2-pin antenna plug in existance, so I disconnected the 300ohm cable from it, and attached a 300ohm-coaxial converter so I could connect my modern tv. it works...but at a rally last year, my neighbor with an amplified bat-wing, was getting much better reception than I was. I'm sorry, but a batwing just doesn't look right on a vintage trailer. and I'm told that as an "antenna", there isn't anything better than the skyliner...so I'm thinking that it "should" be just as good if I add an amplifier. but would this work, considering the converters required, going from 300ohm to coax, etc....?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:56 AM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Chuck,

That wall plate will do the trick. The OEM plate that was there had a built in amp that was always on. Bypass the plate, bypass the amp. This plate would require the cable conversion be buried in the wall but will improve your reception.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Chuck,

That wall plate will do the trick. The OEM plate that was there had a built in amp that was always on. Bypass the plate, bypass the amp.
really? there was an amplifier built into that plate, too? I don't remember seeing anything in there...I'll have to look. wouldn't that create a phantom load on the battery, though?? perhaps I could separate the output of the amplifier from the plug, and connect to the tv from that point. or would that not work w/ a coaxial converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
This plate would require the cable conversion be buried in the wall but will improve your reception.
so, you're saying that I would have to replace the twin-lead all the way up to the antenna with co-ax in order to use this new amplifier?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:16 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Chuck,

There is a booster on the inside of the OEM plate, really. It also had output to the rear antenna jack. If you want to use the new plate with the on/off switch you will need to do a bit of conversion. The OEM plate was always on, but the drain was minimal.

You will need a short piece of coax and a matching transformer to connect to the 300 ohm down lead and the new plate. Once you have the pieces it will make sense, but it all will be hidden in the wall.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:25 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Ok. afaik, there is no rear antenna jack in my trailer. no mention of it in the owner's manual, either. the recepticle's are actually in kind of a funny place, above the fridge, in the bottom of the overhead locker. there's a plastic box that sticks up into the cabinet that covers over the 12v/tv, and a standard double 110v. between that, the fridge flu, and the curved ceiling, there ain't much room in that cabinet for anything else
Old 05-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2-pin adapter for antenna

Having recently acquired a 1977 Argosy 28 foot travel trailer (painted Airstream) hubby and I are having lots of fun exploring the net to find out more about our "twinkie".

It has an interior antenna base plate which requires a 2-prong tv adapter. I commented to my husband that that is a nearly impossible adapter to find and lo and behold he told me our local RV dealer has one.

I am sitting here with one in front of me. AND it was only $3.39 plus tax. They have lots more (they get them somewhere on the internet). They look to be made in late 60's - 70's because of the clothes and hairstyles of the family pictured on the front near an RV.

It is a Braund 300 OHM tv jack. It has a base plate and the 2-prong tv adapter. The recepters on our original unit are splayed so we are going to place the new recepters in our original base plate. The tv adapter will then fit snug.

Braund 300 OHM Tv jack
TVJWG - walnut

Printed part number on back of package -
walnut 107121

The only available color is walnut.

If anyone has a need for one of these email me and I'll give you the info or for a small shipping/handling fee I could pick one up and mail it to you.

Barb

I found a couple of pics in the forums that show what our interior antenna base plate looks like -

pic of the front
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tid=4466&stc=1

pic of the bottom
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tid=4467&stc=1

pic of the adapter - except new one is walnut colored
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tid=4478&stc=1

pic of the base plate that comes with the new adapter (except new one is walnut grain)
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tid=4479&stc=1