Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
An airstream video and sound system

Greetings

Looking over my AS I am trying to understand the way sound/video systems are set up in a mobile environment.

A car head unit with options for amp, sub is the power unit right? The TV and other sources plug into the unit for sound distribution. DVD options are through a player (another aux I assume hooked to the head unit) or a TV/DVD combo unit is used. How many aux ports? What do newer airstreams come with when packages are added and is any additional equipment necessary other than players, TVs and head units?

Give me some ideas that you have come up with. My intent is to update/upgrade the head unit and find a way to hook the TV up to it and possibly use a playstation to gain DVD, blueray, game options and stash it in the cabinet under the TV. What about other amps, subs? I know there are lots of options but are there any ah ha after the fact ideas?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Everyone has their own way. Here's what works for us...

All of my components are in one location (satellite receiver, PS3, iPod, and factory stereo). From this location, I pulled three HDMI wires: one to the "den" tv, one to the bedroom tv, and one to the exterior refrigerator door. The HDMI cable in the refrigerator compartment remains coiled in a plastic bag unless we want to have a television outside (we do this at football games). I have an HDMI crossover switch box ... this box allows me to hub connect all components as well as outgoing HDMI cables. I have the ability to watch any component on any or all HDMI outlets.

For example, I can use the PS3 to watch BluRay movies on the exterior "tailgating" HDMI. The nice thing about the PS3 is that it is controlled by Bluetooth and the location of the PS3 is accessible by remote/controller from any of the three locations watching. Likewise, I use an IR remote for DirecTV and can change the channel from any of the three locations. When we watch movies from our iPod or iPhone, we start it from the component location and then enjoy from the tv of choice.

As for music, I installed a stereo connection to the radio. I have the ability to play any of the components sound through the factory speakers. However, we generally use the speakers for just iPod music.

Some here will have comments about they don't need all this when they are camping. We don't need it either, but we have it and we enjoy watching football games and Bluray movies ... especially on those rainy and cold camping nights.

I'm not sure what new Airstreams have in them. My unit is a 2004 and we found our own solution over time.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
I like the way that setup sounds. I have an 05' international I want to up grade the system in. How did you run the HDMI cable?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
My floor plan is the 2004 CCD International 28'. I carefully pulled to three locations from the cabinet above the sink. You can chase the HDMI through the hollow bottom of the ceiling cabinets above the kitchen and into the space behind the fridge. From there you can access the exterior door behind the fridge for a "tailgate" tv outside. You can chase below the kitchen cabinets, through the space in front and below the fridge, under the shower, and up the wall between the shower and bedroom for a tv in the bedroom. Getting over to the cabinet where the factory tv resides is simple. If you wanted to get an HDMI across to the other side, the factory told me I could chase across the interior of the ceiling by popping out ceiling lights and pulling the wire across behind them.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Has anyone had success in running HDMI cables in a 25' CCD? Our radio and CD changer are in the front above the couch (which is under the panoramic window). The TV is mounted to the refrigerator cabinet which is on the street side.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj
Has anyone had success in running HDMI cables in a 25' CCD? Our radio and CD changer are in the front above the couch (which is under the panoramic window). The TV is mounted to the refrigerator cabinet which is on the street side.
Although we have a 28', our factory radio is also above the front sofa and panoramic window and our tv is also street side. We eliminated the factory radio/cd location and relocated our radio/cd next to our tv by pulling speaker wire there.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
The wife and I visited a local dealer this weekend to ogle the 2013's. Still don't want to give up my LuLuBelle (05' CCD 28') but I do want to upgrade a to a few items I saw. First off TWO flat screens are a must now. But I was wondering, has anyone had success with ditching the car head unit and installing a home A/V unit? Power could be pulled with a small inverter, and way more versatility could be had. What are the problems I'm not thinking of?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I just installed this Jensen unit to replace the original Sony. Connects up very easily and has more than enough features and capability to connect other audio/video sources. Kind of a cross between an audio and home unit but designed for RVs. Jensen AWM975 AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/WEATHER BAND/iPOD Ready Wall Mount Stereo with HDMI Video OutputSale Price: Proceed to checkout for special pricing - Stereo System

It takes some careful cutting to fit in the corner of the overhead cabinet, but it does fit.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote