Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Todd , North Carolina
AM radio reception

I have a 2007 27 FB Classic with the Sony electronic upgrade. The stack of manuals are anything but user friendly, but I have sorted out most features EXCEPT the AM radio. I have zilch for reception and neither the scan nor manual tune will pick up any stations even when my TV radio is receiving a station loud and clear. I can't gain physical acess to the receiver to check for antenna hook-up.This feature would not matter that much, but would like to be able to listen to Rush L. / ball games while on the go.

Any ideas? Buddy....
evsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
No AM

Hi Buddy…I too enjoy the AM band, however with the small antenna provided by the factory, unless your camped across the street from a 50Kw blow torch it just does not work. I have a very high quality radio that I connected to the factory antenna as a test. I found that for the most part the provided antenna is deaf in the AM band. I use an outdoor antenna mounted on a fiberglass pole attached to the front jack. With this antenna and my radio, I can receive all local stations during the day, and at night I can hear the AM stations upwards of a thousand miles and short wave from around the world
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
My Airstream "factory" antenna works OK on AM. If yours doesn't, I would suggest you test the antenna lead-in wire. The odds of the antenna itself being bad are remote, but the lead-in wire is rather fragile, and even if the fragile center conducter is seperated, FM being higher frequency, will probably work to a degree.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
AM radio in my 2007 20' Safari SE/LS is also completely dead and always has been. Methinks Airstream has a serious problem installing radios properly.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankandLois View Post
I use an outdoor antenna mounted on a fiberglass pole attached to the front jack. With this antenna and my radio, I can receive all local stations during the day, and at night I can hear the AM stations upwards of a thousand miles and short wave from around the world
What radio do you use for SW?

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote