Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Adventures in Audio / Video

Since getting our new trailer I’ve been working up the nerve to add Sarah’s XMRadio receiver to the built in stereo. Adding this would give me the chance to fix the other audio/video problems we were having. I didn’t think the XM Radio would be too difficult since I’d done a similar project on our old 25’ Sovereign.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion-20887.html

Our Safari has the LS ‘Audio’ package: JVC stereo & DVD player, subwoofer, 4 internal speakers, pre wired for connection to outdoor speakers, and TV connection for DVD playback thru the JVC receiver. However the switch controlling the speakers (In – Out – Both) never worked. There was also no way to get the DVD audio to play thru the TV speakers, nor did it appear the subwoofer was working. Lastly when playing a DVD there was a lot of heat generated. The disc was very hot to the touch when ejected.

Removing the JVC receiver was easy using the included instruction manual. Next was removing the cabinet the stereo wiring was stuffed into. 3 screws on each side hold it in place – not attached to the interior skin in any way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018_2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	32766  
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Here we found why after every trip there was an avalanche of sawdust on the dinette seat.
There was no attempt made at the factory to clean up any of the construction debris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	32767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	32768  

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	32769  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Tracing the wiring was pretty easy using the JVC manual. First thing discovered was that the TV audio out was never connected. Similarly the TV input was never connected. The rear speakers were wired from the receiver directly to the speakers – no wonder the switch didn’t control them. I tried to contact the company that makes the 3 way speaker switch for instructions on how to add the rear speakers, but never received any correspondence back from my emails. Plan B. Since the JVC only outputs 2 channels (stereo sound) there should be no problem splicing the rear speakers into the feed from the front speakers right? Wrong: AZstreamin gave me a warning about possible damage by wiring speakers in ‘parallel’. After much internet research at Basic Car Audio Electronics.com ( Basic Car Audio Electronics) the answer appeared to be wiring in ‘series’. In summary: wiring speakers in parallel increases the current and this can damage the receiver, wiring in series decreases the current, which may cause some sound quality issues, but won’t damage any of the components. Again since we are not true audiophiles nor really crank the volume up I didn’t think we’d notice any problems. (I've posted the completed wiring diagrams a few posts down).

Since we never used the CD Changer – it was removed to make room for the XM Radio and Sarah’s iPod Nano. Also a handy storage shelf for the remote controls. Maybe selling it on eBay can cover some of the project costs.

After fiddling with the subwoofer, I was unable to get much out of it, though it appeared wired correctly. Since we are not ‘audiophiles’ and we can always use a bit of extra storage – I pulled the subwoofer (may sell on eBay also).
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Wiring for the XM Radio involved getting on the roof and fishing the antenna lead from the Fantastic Vent, along the ceiling headliner seam and behind the wall cabinets. The antenna works great under the vent cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	32770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	32771  

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	32772   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	32773  

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	32774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017_2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	32775  

Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Power for the XM Radio came from a hard-wire kit purchased from xmfanstore.com because I’d damaged the included 12v plug. I spliced into the 12v feeds to the JVC receiver.

To address the heat & ventilation problem, I drilled a bunch of holes in the top of the receiver enclosure. You can’t see them once installed & hopefully will prevent any damage from too much heat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	32776  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
After finishing all the wiring and reattaching the cabinet we used the receiver & XM radio during our latest trip to Disney over the President’s day weekend.
Am glad to report that all systems work great. We’re now able to watch & listen to a DVD thru the JVC or TV speakers (speaker switch to OUTSIDE w/ nothing connected & receiver in Dual-Zone mode), control the speakers inside & out, listen to XM Radio or iPod, and listen to the TV audio thru the JVC speakers. We noticed no distortions or problems with the sound quality & we turned it up a couple of times for testing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	32777   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC p1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	32778  

Name:	JVC p2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	32779  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
WOW! When can you come and do mine? I would love to be able to listen to the XM Classic Country station in the Airstream!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Overall I'm happy with how the project turned out.

I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of the connection for the outdoor speakers (see pic). It's not attached to the skin very well. That fix will be another project when I'm brave enough to open up the belly pan.

Hope these pics and wire diagrams can help others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	32780  
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well, you certainly had your hands full! When we wanted to ad XM to our 22' Safari we purchased the Roady II which uses FM Modulation. Didn't have to wire a thing. Like you we have the Audi/Video upgrade and all the same equipment. With the Roady no need to do any wiring at all. We did add an additional pair of speakers over the dinette. When we watch movies we are usually sitting there and you have to turn up the volume a bit because the speakers are either in the galley or bedroom. I installed a speaker selector switch to operate all four speaker sets. Our outside speakers never really worked but now they work great with the audio switching box. The system was never designed for audio to come from the flat screen speakers when watching DVD. They are only for the TV receiver. you did an awsome job!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Great descriptive of the installation. I'm too mechanically illiterate to try that on my own. I would like to get the TV audio through the speakers (we don't have the audio upgrade) and would love to have exterior speakers, but that is a little too advanced for me. I am planning to order a FM modulator that to route the audio through the Sony system that came with our trailer.

Also, enjoyed seeing you all at Ft. Wilderness this weekend. Would have enjoyed having more time to check out your work, but Mickey waits for no man! :LOL: I'll have to wait 'til the Springstream Rally and the tour on Saturday afternoon.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Outdoor speaker plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
Overall I'm happy with how the project turned out.

I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of the connection for the outdoor speakers (see pic). It's not attached to the skin very well. That fix will be another project when I'm brave enough to open up the belly pan.

Hope these pics and wire diagrams can help others.
I had this same problem. The plug would come dislocated for the trailer with the brush of a hand.

I was in getting my truck worked on this week and came across an easy fit. I purchased a trailer wiring harness. It is a cast metal "four pin round" plug, both a male and female. This allowed me to make the WHOLE installation from the exterior.

I cut the plug off the trailer. The new plug has two holes on each side which are rivited to the belly skins. I installed the plug upside down because there is a spring loaded cover that typically flips down. In the upside down postion, I can push the cover down as I stand in front and can see what I'm doing.

After installing the plug to the trailer, I took the two. speaker wire sets and wired them to the female plug harness.

The last item i did was from Radio Shack. I purchased two sets of banana clips. These are perminately sodered to the speaker wires.

Setup is easy now.

I'll pst a photo when I can.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are not audiophiles either so I did two things: 1) installed an FM modulator and hooked it up to the VCP/DVD player so that when we watch movies, either format, the sound will come through the four speakers in the ceiling giving us better sound when the A/C comes on; 2) installed a hook-up for an Ipod so that we can use either of our Ipods to listen to music.

We have never used the stereo for radio reception and only used it, maybe, three times for CD listening so this made more sense for us. We can still use the stereo head for radio or CD's any time we want with just the flick of a small switch I mounted in the cabinet above the stereo head. The TV sound still comes through the TV speakers if we are using the batwing, but if we are using the satellite dish, I hook the audio up to the FM modulator through the VCP/DVD player and have the audio go through the four ceiling speakers. It works for us. I hope my description makes sense.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
In my Airstream Goodies Box, I have an AV package I have a labeled 42-MMAUXUSB. I has white coax cable and red and white plug in connectors with a black wire to a USB connector. Also a USB socket and surface mount with two screws. Question: What's it for and where how would I install it. Wiring diagram appreciated. Thanks
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote