Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
A good reason to switch to a HDTV

Recently, I found myself in Searcy, Arkansas and Airstream of Arkansas to pickup my new trailer. My first night in this trailer, another A of A camper and I found ourselves in the direct line of the recent tornado outbreak passing thru Little Rock. He had a 2008 23' Safari with the 19' Sony flat panel but only analog tuners. Little Rock TV stations kept us in contact with the weather radar as the storm approached and as we hunkered down in his trailer.

However as the storms really started to bear down on us, our fringe area reception faded for the analog TV, to the point where it was unwatchable. The RF interference from the lightning completely obscured the signal. I glanced over to my nearby trailer window to view the TV that I positioned near the window. The HD display of the same station was 100% clear reception, even with the antenna down in my trailer. The clear comparison pretty much convinced my neighbor to upgrade his display or add a HD tuner to his current one.

We used the TVs the rest of the night and into the morning to watch as the tornadoes and super cells spun around us but fortunately not through us. Thank you HDTV!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I too have enjoyed the enhanced quality of the digital signal. Although not in the same predicament you found yourself in. I am glad you made it through unscathed.

The all or nothing picture is generally an improvement, but can be a pain in the cases where the signal is too weak to provide a picture. At those times, a “snowy” analog is better than nothing. Especially for the news or weather.

Congrats on the new trailer!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

True, but at least for the next year, I can switch to analog and view if necessary. Hopefully by then, the remaining stations will have gotten then transmitters in final locations, transmitting at full power and antennas tuned for maximum coverage.

Thanks for the congrats!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Sony WEGA 15" Flatscreen TV

Hello, can anyone tell me if the Sony WEGA flatscreen 15" tv system installed by Airstream in the 2006 22-0 CCD is HD compatible? I know if you are connected to cable it is a moot point. It has been so long since I have seen my RV since it has been storage, I have forgotton the specs on the AV system. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAgent007
Hello, can anyone tell me if the Sony WEGA flatscreen 15" tv system installed by Airstream in the 2006 22-0 CCD is HD compatible? I know if you are connected to cable it is a moot point. It has been so long since I have seen my RV since it has been storage, I have forgotton the specs on the AV system. Thanks.
It is digital, but not HD.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Are you sure that it is even digital? I'd venture to guess that it is capable of analog OTA reception only.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Are you sure that it is even digital? I'd venture to guess that it is capable of analog OTA reception only.
The spec sheet says NTSC. I start drooling when I see all those letters, but I did see that it only goes as high as 480i, and I know that isn't anywhere near HD.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Chris,

Since I have been full-timing I have been using my new HDTV with the new antenna AOA installed. I know I am receiving HD channels because some of the channels I receive have 3 or even 4 channels (55-1, 55-2, 55-3). Most of them are the same with the HD being a better picture, but I am not getting this Eye popping, gorgeous, hi-res picture that everyone tells me HD is. What am I missing?

Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Chris,

Since I have been full-timing I have been using my new HDTV with the new antenna AOA installed. I know I am receiving HD channels because some of the channels I receive have 3 or even 4 channels (55-1, 55-2, 55-3). Most of them are the same with the HD being a better picture, but I am not getting this Eye popping, gorgeous, hi-res picture that everyone tells me HD is. What am I missing?

Steve
Hi again Steve,

The biggest thing you are missing is screen size. Sometimes it really does matter. On my 37” Mitsubishi, the difference just jumps out at you. However, after you watch your TV for a while, when you see a low-def signal, you will start to wonder what is wrong. There really is a difference.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The spec sheet says NTSC. I start drooling when I see all those letters, but I did see that it only goes as high as 480i, and I know that isn't anywhere near HD.
NTSC is the old system that is being phased out. ATSC is the new system. You will need a convertor or a new TV. Your TV, however, should be able to display 480p when attached to a progressive scan source by component (Y-Pb-Pr) or VGA. I doubt that your TV has HDMI or DVI in, but most newer models do.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Hey Chris,

Steve
Steve, just because you are watching digital channels, it doesn't mean they are in HD mode. I've got a 20" LG flat screen and when I get a HD signal, it is very evident that it's HD. My TV is optioned out so that it doesn't go to full screen unless it is HD. Some TV's don't have that option and spread or zoom pictures to fill the screen, but in essence you aren't really in HD mode.

Relook at your instruction manual and see if the TV has a setting that only spreads the picture in HD mode.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The TV is a brand new digital TV from Toshiba....don't think it could be NTSC.

Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
NTSC is the old system that is being phased out. ATSC is the new system. You will need a convertor or a new TV. Your TV, however, should be able to display 480p when attached to a progressive scan source by component (Y-Pb-Pr) or VGA. I doubt that your TV has HDMI or DVI in, but most newer models do.
One of the reason I ponyed up for the Mitsubishi is that it has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 DVI. My (now dead Dish 622 VIP DVR {after 6 days replacing the previous one, but that’s another story}) is connected via HDMI. My old Mac G4 is connected via the DVI. When I get a Blu-ray player, I still have a HDMI to connect it. The Dish 622 is 1080i, but everything else does 1080p. I will be replacing the 622 with a 722, but Dish is still stuck at 1080i. To be honest, I haven’t been able to tell the difference.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi again Steve,

The biggest thing you are missing is screen size. Sometimes it really does matter. On my 37” Mitsubishi, the difference just jumps out at you. However, after you watch your TV for a while, when you see a low-def signal, you will start to wonder what is wrong. There really is a difference.
Agreed. You need the size to be bigger or you need to sit closer. Also, make sure that you don't have the color preset on DYNAMIC. It washes the colors out so badly, it's not funny. DYNAMIC is made to try and sell TV's on the BestBuy floor, not for viewing. Set it to normal, and maybe try playing with the sharpness, but just a little.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
The TV is a brand new digital TV from Toshiba....don't think it could be NTSC.

Steve
If it was NTSC you wouldn’t be seeing the digital channels because it wouldn’t pick them up.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Steve, most of the newer digital TV's will have an info panel with the channel info, sound type, and display modes, V Chip rating, etc (6-1, Dolby Digital, 1080i, TV-MA) and so on. If the channel that you tune doesn't have this or just says CABLE or AIR, then you are likely just displaying standard 480i. If you know it's a digital channel but it still looks like junk, then they are likely 'scaling' the 480i content to 720p or 1080i, pillar boxing it with black bars on the sides or stretching it into Stretch-o-Vision. Try pulling up a primetime show, or late night show (Leno, Conan, Dave) so you can see the difference.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
If it was NTSC you wouldn’t be seeing the digital channels because it wouldn’t pick them up.
All new modest sized TV's are required to have a ATSC tuner in them, so my bet it that Steve's unit is compatible.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Hdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Hello Overlander63, where did you get the spec information from? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Hey Chris,

Steve
Glasses Steve, you're missing glasses

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Glasses Steve, you're missing glasses Michael
and they still only costadollar!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xray-glasses.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	58795  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote