Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
2009 25'FB Questions

Hello ---- again.

We just got our AS today (yet to name it) and i have a couple questions...

1) when i looked at the back of the TV i noticed a video and audio going in....is this from the Sat hook up? or is there a DVD player hidden somewhere?
a) where is the best place to add a DVD player?
2) is the FB mattress a standard size? if we want one a little firmer can we pick something up at sleepcountry?
3) is the caulking on the roof vents and ac and around the panaromics sometimes a bit ....... non-uniform?
a) what do you recommend for opening the windows? ie fold up the tinted part etc
4) is there anything i should know that i probably dont (I am a 100% rookie)
5) why are they so damn cool?

I am sure i will ask a few more questions when i get to finding them

thanks everyone!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Didn't the dealer go over the trailer with you? Check out the radio for the DVD player.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you don't have a sat receiver, it won't be hooked up to it. DVD player is in the radio.

The mattress is an RV sized mattress—thus, around 4 inches shorter. There are ways to make it longer. But in my opinion, it is very uncomfortable. We got a foam topper which is much more comfortable, though some say it is too hot. Foam off gasses some toxic stuff and organic mattresses and toppers are available at speciality stores, but very expensive.

Caulking can be sloppy.

There's a lot you don't know, keep reading the Forum and someday you'll be giving advice too.

They are cool because they are Airstreams.

Gene
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefario View Post
Hello ---- again.
3) is the caulking on the roof vents and ac and around the panaromics sometimes a bit ....... non-uniform?
YEP.....

And they tend to leak also....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	86042  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Shop Teacher

2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
Check the hinges

Go through the trailer and tighten the set screws on all the cabinet door hinges. From the factory they snug them, but after a trips down the road the doors can (will) fall off. At least mine did. There are always a few quirks that you will discover over time. The 25' is a cool trailer!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I assume that your 25FB has the audio/video option. Unless they have recently changed the set-up, the CD player in the cabinet over the dinette is also the DVD player. The movie sound comes over the radio speakers which I find annoying.

The queen mattress is not a standard size. We improved ours greatly with the addition of a 1.5" memory foam pad from Camping World.

The caulking is a little sloppy sometimes.

Which type windows do you have?

Commanding an Airstream on the road is not exactly launching rockets, but there is a learning curve. You will have some questions, and this is the place to ask them.

Yes, they are pretty cool.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Windows

Yours is an international, so your windows open as follows. At the bottom of the big windows there are two locking mechanisms, pop them out and turn the handles inward toward the center of the windows. This unlocks each window. On the sides, about half way up there are two small gray handles, these are used to push the windows outward and then hold them open. Look between the screen and the window pane and you'll see the stop points that the braces go into. If your windows resist opening they've been sitting shut for a long time. Rather than forcing them from the inside, simply go outside and use something flat without sharp edges to pop the bottom of the window away from the rubber gasket. A credit card will work. I used the handle of a fork.

Those window gaskets need a light coating of silicone spray about once a year or they will adhere to the glass, especially in hot direct sun.

Note your "escape window" in the bedroom will have red handles on the lifters. It also has an extra loop of spline hanging down. This spline holds in the screen, so in theory, you grab the loop and yank it and the whole screen will fall out - then you can just whack the glass and it will fall off and let you crawl out of the window. Me, I'm running for the door.

VERY important. Make a check list of things to do before pulling out. Do some searches and you'll find some excellent ones. But here are a few things:
  1. lock and secure all windows
  2. make sure the refrigerator/freezer doors are also locked. Check that all drawers and doors are shut and locked. The shower door has a little black rubber thingy that turns 180 degrees to lock it. On your overhead cabinets, the plexiglass can slide open - use wooden dowels on both tracks OR corks, etc. through the finger holes to hold the doors closed.
  3. Check that the awning is locked, make sure that the window protector on the front is secure.
  4. Drawers and storage doors can come open when you're underway - store your heavy and breakable stuff low to the ground. Don't store heavy stuff in your oven - its great for paper towels, foil, zip lock bags, etc. (Assuming you never leave the pilot light on.)
  5. turn off furnace, water heater, a/c and all internal and exterior lights
  6. Fill potable water tank if you're going to be without hookups. Put SOME water in the white tank just so you can flush the toilet when you stop for a break. (General note - a half full potable tank could encourage sway due to sloshing, full or empty is better. You can carry 2-3 gallons for flushing , it's only 8 lbs per gallon.
  7. Empty the gray and black - again you might want to leave 2-3 gallons of clean water in these tanks to "agitate" while traveling so that it can dissolve any leavings in the tanks.
  8. antenna down
  9. everything off the counters - stow in sink, on floor, in bins, etc.
  10. fantastic fans and vents closed
  11. door locked
  12. steps folded up.
  13. power umbilical correctly connected, brake lights, turn signals and flashers working correctly, emergency brake cable secured to vehicle.
  14. check brake controller is working. (even at 2 mph you can slam on the brakes and make sure your trailer brakes lock up too.) I personally prefer my trailer brakes to be a tiny bit grabbier than the truck's. I want the trailer to stop itself, not bump into the truck hitch before it's brakes activate.
  15. Safety chains on
  16. WD Hitch on and properly adjusted
  17. Tires at recommended inflation, both on trailer and tow vehicle
  18. Stabilizer jacks up
  19. hitch jack pin fully retracted
  20. Rear view mirrors adjusted properly
  21. tow vehicle squatting equally on both axles, not nose up or down
  22. trailer riding balanced equally on both axles, not nose up or down
Get out your blue Airstream briefcase and start reading. Ask experienced campers for advice. (Don't screw with the awning until you ask another Airstreamer for advice - the ZipDee awning arms are different than most other things out there. Once you see it done and practice it a time or two it's easy but lots of people have bent their awning arms trying to do it without instructions. The ZipDee website may show the correct procedure.

Paula
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
YEP.....

And they tend to leak also....
Oh yes, and it helps if your first trip is in the driveway, reading the owners manual.....several times.

Stream Safe

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
X2 on reading that manual, then re reading it.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
if you have the sony radio the DVD player is built in and you load the disc from behind the radio face plate, there is a button you push that drops the face plate down.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
thanks - we are reading the manuals as i type....we did not get a run down from the dealer as i had the unit delivered to the border.

thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefario View Post
thanks -....we did not get a run down from the dealer as i had the unit delivered to the border.

thanks!
That 'splains a lot, the orientation CAN be done right here and probably a lot more thorough/fun also....

RLC

RLC
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
DAHarvey

2002 22' International
2004 22' International CCD
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Johnson City , Texas
How do you get the Sony Radio / DVD player to show the DVD video on the 23" Samsung TV?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by daharvey View Post
How do you get the Sony Radio / DVD player to show the DVD video on the 23" Samsung TV?
First get the DVD going in the radio. Then.....to the TV.....

Go to menu, then to source then to video 1 or maybe video three. The DVD will be playing on one of those.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote