Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
2002 Radio replacement

Kistler has a question:

I would like to switch the radio (am/fm/cassette) out of my 2002 Classic. I want an am/fm with a CD stacker/changer--and I want controls easy to understand The one Airstream put in mine is a nightmare for me.

Has anyone done this switch? What did they buy? Where did they go for this purchase and installation?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you, Stephanie...for posting my question. I am only able to "reply" and "hi-jack"

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Kistler has a question:

I would like to switch the radio (am/fm/cassette) out of my 2002 Classic. I want an am/fm with a CD stacker/changer--and I want controls easy to understand The one Airstream put in mine is a nightmare for me.

Has anyone done this switch? What did they buy? Where did they go for this purchase and installation?
I did the same on my 2003. We have all of 10 cassettes and at least 600 CDs.

I put in a Kenwood unit that handles MP3 and WMA disks as well as regular music CDs. Cost was about $180 including shipping. Music quality is much better than the original Sony.

Installation is easy. Follow the instructions in the booklet that came with the original radio. Use a table knife to bend the tabs on the thin aluminum sleeve so that you can remove it. Put in the sleeve that came with the new set and bend some tabs to secure it. If you stick to the same brand, you probably can keep the original mounting sleeve and skip this step.

If you replace with the same brand, the connector should fit right into the new set. In my case, I had to wire in the new connector that came with the new set. The wire colors match, making it quite easy to rewire. I used crimp connectors, but twisted and taped connections should be OK.

With my WMA disks, I can put 3 or more hours of music on a single CD. Sure helps the storage problem.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I would recommend not going to an RV dealer. Stores like Circuit City or Best Buy usually have the best prices but you could also try your local "mom & pops" stereo store. Usually the big stores have free installation on most units.
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I couldn't believe Airstream put a Sony cassette radio in our 2001. Initially, we thought of adding a CD stacker, but when we looked at the size of that, plus the volume of all the CDs, AND saw that the Sony had Line In jacks, we decided to get an iPod to hold all our music, and plug it into the the cassette radio.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Both of these ideas sound good to me.....I will have to figure out what an ipod is, however. I guess you are saying that you could just plug in to the unit that is in my trailer.

This means I will have to read the instruction book for the present unit.

Kistler
Old 04-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love my iPod. I have all my music on it. In the Caravel we installed a simple Alpine CD player with a line out. That way we just plug the line out cable into the ipod and have all our tunes handy, plus audiobooks and radioshows (podcasts). We also use the same line out to plug in out laptop to watch DVDs so we get sound through the stereo speakers.

The iPod isn't cheap, but it's the best money I ever spent on audio equipment.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
How about using forum member JeepinAudiophile's company?

Mobile AV Solutions
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
Contributing Member

You will find the best prices (including shipping) by doing some internet searching for a unit that meets your needs. Saves local taxes that way. I bought my Kenwood for about $40 less than I could get it locally.

If you stick with the same brand as the original (probably a Sony), the installation is a no-brainer. Slide one out, pull the plugs, plug into the new receiver and slide it in. The manual in your trailer book has the info on removing the bezel and unlocking the receiver from the shroud.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
New JVC dvd receiver for trailer

Kistler,
I'm not sure if you've already moved on getting a new receiver to replace your sony w/cassette. We too had that system, but not anymore!!! For my birthday this past week my husband bought me the new JVC dvd receiver that plays dvds, dvd-r, dvd-rw, cd-r, mp3, wma, and something new I didn't know about, a dvd filled with mp3s or wma. It will allow you to have 8.5 gigs of music on one dvd (no need for cd stackers anymore). It also has a front side auxilliary imput so that I can plug my Nomad (mp3 player) right into the front and I'm ready to go. It has a t.v. aux-in in the back and pre-amps to hook to a sub or we may go with a 6x9 to warm up the sound a little. We've been having trouble finding a small sub that's affordable and will fit in the space.

My son installed the whole thing for me, including rewiring a new mounting harness (it didn't match up with the Sony) not that difficult if you have a little experience. He also hooked up the t.v. and concealed the wires between the false bottom of the front cabinet and then along the valance to the t.v. He took the flourescent light down in the middle of the cabinet over the sofa, which gave him access to the bottom of the cabinet. This is where he drilled the holes to snake down the wires for the pre-outs and pre-ins. The jvc came with a remote so it's easy to switch from aux, radio, t.v. dvd, etc. When it was all finished he popped in the dvd 'Immortal Beloved' and gave it a whirl. A good sound test dvd since it's a movie about a secret love of Beethoven's. That's when we decided to add a little more bass, those little 4 1/2 speakers just don't cut it. Space being an issue we didn't want to go with a big sub-woofer so have decided to get a single 6/9 speaker make a box for it and put it under the pull out sofa by the battery compartment. I'm so delighted with what they've done it answers all of my wants for a sound system. We purchased the jvc from Crutchfield online. It was $299, no tax and $10 shipping. It has all we need within a small package and we won't have to purchase additional components.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #11

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
How about remote control?

Try Crutchfeild. They carry all kinds of audio gear and have pretty good prices. I like the idea of having the auxillery input for and ipod and also a remote control.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I really wish to thank you people for the advice; I have done nothing to "remedy the problem" of not being able to play our CDs in the trailer.

Part of the problem is I don't understand ipods, MP whatevers, etc. I like the idea of buying a Sony (you are right, that's what is in our trailer) and the simple exchange.

I want the kind that is in our Jeep GC....you load 10 discs and just push buttons

Like I say we are always behind electronically; finally got rid of the 8 track tape.... was that the 70s? seems like yesterday...

Kistler
Old 05-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Saves so much space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I love my iPod. I have all my music on it. In the Caravel we installed a simple Alpine CD player with a line out. That way we just plug the line out cable into the ipod and have all our tunes handy, plus audiobooks and radioshows (podcasts). We also use the same line out to plug in out laptop to watch DVDs so we get sound through the stereo speakers.

The iPod isn't cheap, but it's the best money I ever spent on audio equipment.
We went with the "Ipod" solution as well. Rather than lugging around tons of CD's we just loaded them all on to our IPod. At the present time, with a few audio books, and several hundred CD's of music I have 6.5 days of listening material on the Ipod. So, if I had the Ipod play every song straight through it would be days before I heard the same thing twice.

Given that it is smaller than a few CD cases it was a great way to save space! I wouldn't want to lug that many CD's around.

Instead of worrying about connecting the Ipod to our stero we picked up a Griffin Road Trip transmitter. The transmitter actually has a DC power connector as part of the device. Plug it in to a DC outlet in the Airstream, pop the IPod in, and tune your radio in to the station you set on the Road Trip. We use the road trip in the Airstream for the Ipod, also to play our laptop over when watching DVDs, and in our truck as well.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
Contributing Member

You can do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
Try Crutchfeild. They carry all kinds of audio gear and have pretty good prices. I like the idea of having the auxillery input for and ipod and also a remote control.
I have bought from Crutchfield in the past, their service is good, and I still get their catalogs, but you can do much better by shopping around on the internet. I can usually beat Crutchfield prices by 15-20% and still get just as good service. For instance, I saved close to $150 on my Sony digital camera over Crutchfield prices.

If you look around, you can find customer ratings for most of the internet vendors. By picking a top rated vendor, I have had just as good an experience as buying from Crutchfield and saved quite a few dollars.

MP3 or WMA disks are the way to go in the trailer. I get over 3 hours of music on each disk and the best thing is that I never have to either listen to or bother skipping songs that I don't care for. My WMA disks are compiled from the 4 and 5-star favorites on my computer and/or a compilation of the best songs from specific artists. I punch on "random" and get a new program every time.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

While we are on the subject of Radios in our Airstream. Does anyone know where to purchase a screw-in antenna mast? (1996 Excella)
Thanks Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I'm a little intimidated by the high power output of today's units. I only need 10 or 20 watts of power max to run my old speakers. It doesn't even need to be an automobile unit to work for me since it will sit in a cabinet. Is there a "home" radio/single CD player around that will work off of 12 volts?
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Forgot to mention the remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
T Man,
Forgot to mention the remote that came with it. The nice thing about Crutchfield is lifetime support. We had to call about a couple wires that didn't match up and they were quick to pick up, no wait your turn for the next available tech. It is great having the aux-input on the face, so easy to plug and play. No messing with disks.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote