Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
That sounds about right. And so watching a DVD movie, assuming you also hook up a DVD player, will NOT consume "the energy from about 50 pounds of battery (500 watt hours." Enjoy.

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I use a portable Sony DVD player when I watch movies, it will run for hours on it's own battery with the screen turned off and just providing signal to the trailer's television.

I can recharge it when I'm driving around in the Tow Vehicle.

snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
I researched this quite a bit, and ended up buying two of these 22" Skyworth 12V flat screens (from I know, I know, but they gave VERY good service)

22" (21.6") Skyworth 12 Volt TV DVD Combo Digital Tuner SLC-2269A

They have a fantastic picture - HDTV with up to 1080p, lots of inputs, built-in DVD, run on 12V (or 120V) and have a very flexible supply requirement - they can operate down to 10.1V DC. That means that even when the rest of your trailer is rolling over in its last death rattle of power starvation, you can still be enjoying the latest episode of "Cash Cab".

The power draw is very low - even with DVD operation. I haven't measured it yet, but plan to soon.

This is the largest-screen 12V TV I've found, the lowest power consumption, and the most forgiving supply requirement.
tfmkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "will NOT consume "the energy from about 50 pounds of battery (500 watt hours." -- interesting how this rule of thumb tends to irk some folks (and how they handle their ire). Perhaps that is why so many just lurk and don't offer their experience or insight.

Nobody is contesting the idea that you can squeeze your energy consumption or that you can spend a lot of capital to reduce your consumption or increase your input.

It is sad that a general guideline that has proven useful in helping folks avoid the dreaded 'dead battery in the morning' syndrome seems to be something to attack rather than to understand.

Another component in this is the high precision psuedo engineering being done. That also seems common when it comes to off grid energy planning. The real world is a bit more complicated and less predictable than some are trying to convince themselves, I think. Available battery capacity has a wide variance over such variables as temperature, age, use patterns, and cycle to cycle variances. Use of energy is not restricted to just one particular well defined set of devices.

It might well explain why so many have to learn via experience no matter their 'engineering.' That tends to have a high cost and often leads to disappointments in unrealized expectations. The mind is a wonderful thing, though, and can often set aside the unpleasant memories.

A hint for those trying to reduce monitor power consumption: turn down the brightness as far as you can. With a bit of imagination (as much as thinking 1080 resolution makes a difference with small monitors), you can really turn down the power consumption.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The "Perfect" small LED TV

To All:

I think that I may have stumbled across the perfect small TV for small RV's. It is a Vizio M220MV. It has the following features:

22", 1080p, 41 watts, 12v dc or 120v ac with power cord, LED lighting, 2.37" thick, 7.6 lbs., one year warranty, 2 HDMI connections, $248 at Sams. I like the fact that it can be connected directly to a 12v dc power source. I plan to purchase a 12v portable dvd player for watching movies.

I used a VideoSecu Wall mount ($25 at Amazon) and secure it for travel using a couple of small bungee cords (see photos). This is a nice wall mount and works well.

Here is the url for the photos:

Here is the link to the photos:
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a few 12v combo units and the dvd mechanics didn't last. I now have a Sharp which is a better made unit but 110 only and works great on shore power or my Honda eu 2000. The Sharp draws 60 watts. I have a generic 400 watt modified sine wave inverter. It won't run my TV but will run a 100 watt light bulb. Anybody know why not?
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Modified sine wave inverters make very dirty AC with a waveform that contains a series of steps rather than a true sine wave. To a lightbulb it's just current that makes heat, and any 100 watt lightbulb can get hot enough to make light on quite small currents. Your TV, however, is looking for a nice clean sine wave to downconvert, rectify and smooth, and a modified sine wave is hard to downconvert, easy to rectify and hard to smooth. This puts enough noise into the final result to stop most electronic devices from working.
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Invertor/12v tv

I did not buy a 12v combo unit because the dvd player seems to be the weak link, and I believe it is best to keep the tv and dvd player separate. I plan to use my computer or a portable dvd player to watch movies on the 12v Vizio.

My generic 400 watt invertor runs my tv just fine (even though I don't need it now). I did use it a few times before I had my 12v power supply source in place. But this is one of the advantages to the Vizio 12v tv- no invertor needed period.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We bought a 32" Flat screen TV a couple of years ago for our home. It's a Sanyo. You can warm a small room with the heat coming from this unit. I haven't pulled the TV out of the cabinet to look at the label, but I'd bet they all have the power consumed. ie WATTS on the nameplate. One might be able to use this info in making your decision and get a rough idea of the load on the house batteries. The label on the "brick" will also show the wattage rating.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
. , .
Originally Posted by TropicGuy View Post
I am going to add a Television in the bedroom area. From what I have read, it seems a 12v unit is the best choice. Or is it? I am wondering how long you can realistically power a 19" LCD TV from the batteries. It seems almost like the two balance out in the end. If I wanted to watch the tv couldnt I get an inverter? I have read several posts here on the forums, and have googled 12V Televisions. The selection is not very good. And they are pricey for what you get. What is the current general consensus on this?
hi 'guy....

consensus? here? shirley u jest.

jensen (and audiovox) advertises that their 12v boxes are BETTER BUILT for this application...

with more goop on the circuitry and more resilience to weather/vibration/salt and so on...

maybe this is true, maybe not.

search out in webspace for 'marine tvz' and u will find a bunch of info...

HERE these threads may help...

Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
...The Sharp draws 60 watts. I have a generic 400 watt modified sine wave inverter. It won't run my TV but will run a 100 watt light bulb. Anybody know why not?
many variables 2 fluster your system from battery and wiring and onward.

imo there are NO PROBLEMS using small mod/sine wave inverters...

but size them approximately to the load/needs...

so try a 150w or 100w with that small tv load.

the tvz have a brick (some now built IN) which cleans up the juice b4 converting to dc again...

picture quality, longevity and hours of viewing have all been great 4 years...

not REAL efficient but as bryan suggests at these small drawz, don't sweat a few % of INefficiency.

the inverter u are currently using MAY have issues related to the battery/source...

so yer light bulb may be ON but not making 100 w o'light.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote