Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Red face Who sold the conversion to electric water heater at Sarasota? I need one...

There was a vendor at the Sarasota Flea market this year who was selling an add-on to the water heater to work from electricity. I need it. If anyone knows who he is, Please let me know, or where to get one.
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The water heater in your '07 Airstream should already be a gas/electric combo. The device you seek is called a 'Hott Rodd' and I would NOT use or install one for any amount of money.

What you are doing is going around the design and certification specifications of your water heater by adding an un-approved heating source that was NOT DESIGNED into your heater from the factory.

If your current water heater is not working on electric, you have a very easy repair by any competent RV Tech. I strongly suggest that you find one and have your heater repaired and forget about using a potential death trap like a Hott Rodd.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Unfortunately, our water heater works ONLY on propane. Do you recommend replacing the whole unit? With what unit? Any recommendation? Or, is there another fix besides Hott Rodd? We want to mostly use our water heater on electric and rarely on propane. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Curious what's wrong with running it on gas...?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I prefer to use the campgrounds electricity instead of my gas when possible.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
newroswell,

Yes, but if you couldn't, would you replace your water heater just to be able to do that?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I didn't suggest he should. You questioned his reasoning, I pointed out the obvious benefit.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Actually I'd consider going all electric -- I don't like the HWH kicking on at 2:00am in the morning ... too noisy for the tent campers. As a former tent camper I never like it either. Even now we tend to shut the HWH off much of the time...but have to remember to turn it back on before washing dishes. Going electric would solve that problem.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
hott rodd's work just fine, same as factory setup.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
hott rodd's work just fine, same as factory setup.
THIS IS INCORRECT!!

You place a Hott Rodd into the threaded position where the drain plug is located. It does NOT have internal switching nor integrated thermostat, nor direct hard wiring to the breaker box like a factory water heater does. Further, they are a fire hazard as they have no UL certification!

My only suggestion is either go LP-fired tankless or get a dual fuel Atwood 6 gallon water heater that has integrated electric!

You simply don't take a UL rated unit and add an electric element (Hott Rodd) to it and say it's the same. It de-rates the entire unit and will void the warranty on any new unit!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
How can one argue with Lewster. He is not on here to make money, just to give some very sage advice. And all this is at no charge, from someone who has been there, done that. I have never read bad advice from this guy.
Thank you Lewster for all of your advice.
Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
it has a thermostat, read up on them, and safe, installed many of them. some of u guys go overboard sometimes.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
it has a thermostat, read up on them, and safe, installed many of them. some of u guys go overboard sometimes.
YOU CAN NOT GO 'OVERBOARD' WHEN SAFETY IN IN QUESTION!!!!!

Look, it's your money and your life........do as you see fit. My advise comes from a professional view of RV components and safety. I have spent over a thousand hours in training and certification to get a Master RV Technician rating. How many courses have you taken?

Yes, a lot of things will work, but for how long and at what ultimate price? There are currently only 6 devices that are RVIA certified for hot water production for use in an RV. Atwood and Suburban water heaters, Precision Temp and Girard tankless water heaters and all of the products from Aqua-Hot Heating Systems and Oasis Thermal Systems.

And by the way, exactly what are your qualifications for installing an unrated heating element into a production water heater ("installed many of them")? If you are doing this for others, I sure hope you carry a very large amount of professional liability insurance.

NOTICE ANYTHING MISSING????????????

And some folks have been asking me why I don't post as often as I used to. I think the answer is quite obvious!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Thank You Lewster.
I will look for the Attwood heater to replace mine. I want the capability of both electric and propane and I'm willing to replace the water heater for that.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
YOU CAN NOT GO 'OVERBOARD' WHEN SAFETY IN IN QUESTION!!!!!

Look, it's your money and your life........do as you see fit. My advise comes from a professional view of RV components and safety. I have spent over a thousand hours in training and certification to get a Master RV Technician rating. How many courses have you taken?

Yes, a lot of things will work, but for how long and at what ultimate price? There are currently only 6 devices that are RVIA certified for hot water production for use in an RV. Atwood and Suburban water heaters, Precision Temp and Girard tankless water heaters and all of the products from Aqua-Hot Heating Systems and Oasis Thermal Systems.

And by the way, exactly what are your qualifications for installing an unrated heating element into a production water heater ("installed many of them")? If you are doing this for others, I sure hope you carry a very large amount of professional liability insurance.

NOTICE ANYTHING MISSING????????????

And some folks have been asking me why I don't post as often as I used to. I think the answer is quite obvious!!!!!!!!!!!
bull hocky
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Read these:

From the Suburban website:
"Any alterations to a Suburban water heater will void its warranty. This includes add-on electric aftermarket heating elements. There are a number of heating elements being offered. These elements are supplied with different types of thermostats which are mounted in various locations of the water heater. These heating elements can lack critical safety controls. Use of these devices can lead to an out of control heating of the water tank and a catastrophic wet side explosion. The use of these aftermarket heating element devices may result in damage to components or the water heater. When aftermarket heating elements are inserted into the anode rod/drain connection, tank life is shortened by accelerating inner tank corrosion. This will be a non-warrantable situation."

Atwood has similar cautions on their web site.

Argue all you want. The Hott Rod is a non-certified (UL, CSA, CE, ITE) device that has a thermostat only and no ECO (energy cut off) that will cut power in a runaway situation. You may call this unnecessary, I call it a redundant back-up that ANY LP-fired device used in an RV has.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
bull hocky
YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!

Where do you draw your expertise from??????????????????
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Think twice, post once...

Please let's get the best info out there for our members.

Thanks,
Bob
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Think twice, post once...

Please let's get the best info out there for our members.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Are you trying to channel Norm Abrams?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lewster

Thanks for your sound advice. When you talk, I and lots of others listen.

Others

I am an engineer and a home inspector. When it comes to equipment that can harm or kill you or your loved ones, like electrical panel boxes and water heaters, you just don't mess with them and change anything that affects how they operate. Do you want to accept the liability for any changes that you think are ok. I don't think so. Just because it may work does not make it safe. Just because you don't see how it may go wrong does not mean that it will not go wrong. Just install and use it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

My water heater is a combo gas/electric model because that is what the PO installed. If I were going to install a new WH, I would probably install a gas only one because it is simpler and less expensive. I don't have any numbers, but I think the cost of heating hot water six gallons at a time using propane is not very much money- like maybe less than 25 cents per day. If propane costs 25 cents, then electricity will cost at least twice as much, just like a home water heater. Propane water heaters are also quite reliable.

I let mine run all the time and I never hear it come on, so I don't understand the noise issue.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote