Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

The Thing

I have been looking at other peoples trailer photos. I have a '64 Overlander. Behind the door, behind meaning on the outside towards the rear of the trailer, I have a metal thing, an ugly metal thing. It is not supposed to get damaged because if it is you must replace it. I know this because it says this on the unit itself, I wish it said what it is. I believe it to be a very ugly vent for the stove or the furnace. Can I remove it, as long as I don't damage it cause then I've got to replace it, and make my trailer look more like everybody elses? Not sleek, but at least sleeker.

Joe

Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Thing

Greetings Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okjoek
I have been looking at other peoples trailer photos. I have a '64 Overlander. Behind the door, behind meaning on the outside towards the rear of the trailer, I have a metal thing, an ugly metal thing. It is not supposed to get damaged because if it is you must replace it. I know this because it says this on the unit itself, I wish it said what it is. I believe it to be a very ugly vent for the stove or the furnace. Can I remove it, as long as I don't damage it cause then I've got to replace it, and make my trailer look more like everybody elses? Not sleek, but at least sleeker.

Joe
If what you are referring to is located on the street-side of your coach, there are two possibilities. It could be the vent/cover assembly for either your Bowen Water Heater or International Oil Furnace -- Either one is actually prized by many restorers. I didn't find either of mine to be particularly attractive nor overly functional so was happy to replace them when the new water heater and furnace were installed. If you do not have plans to replace the appliance associated with the device, it is something that must be accepted as part of the coach. In the photo of a 1964 Overlander Twin below, the forward cover is for the furnace and the rearmost cover is for the water heater:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...es/i-1_B_L.jpg

If your coach is a '64 Overlander Double, it is possible that it may have a curbside mounted furnace that might explain one of these devices on the curbside -- I haven't seen a '64 Overlander Double so am not certain of appliance placement in that particular coach (and my owners' manual isn't clear on the placement either) -- it is also possible that the placement of some of the appliances may have varied by plant of manufacture as well as floorplan.

In either case, check the labeling on the cover -- if it has the brand name Bowen on a tag, it is associated with the water heater -- if it has International Oil on a tag, it is associated with the furnace.

I don't think that what you are describing could be associated with the range hood vent as it is a fiberglass/plastic fixture mounted high up on the side of the coach above the range.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by okjoek

Joe
My 63 Overlander has one of those, it is the furnace cover. In large block letters, it says "CAUTION HOT REPLACE IF DAMAGED"
Here is a photo of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000678.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	13206