Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
The Control Unit

Everything works on the control unit EXCEPT the battery indicator meter.
What looks suspect is the red wire that was attached to the blue wire and the other blue wire with a connector on the end that is not attached to anything.

Any suggestions on how to get this part of the unit working or would the suggestion be "don't bother" The red wire the short blue wire was connected to is off to the right and you can't see the end in the picture.

Thanks again!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controlpanel.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	84186  
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ken,

The photo and pdf attached to post #7 of this thread may help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...hlight=univolt

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Kevin - thanks for the link and PDF! very helpful.

Are you thinking the yellow and white wires coming out from behind the wall of my g/t would attach directly to the battery tester on the control unit? what about the floating blue wire in the picture that should be connected to something?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ken,

My rig is parked at my office. I will see if I can dig behind the panel tomorrow and send some details.

I don't recall any yellow wire, but I will check.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
May have figured it out . . .

Kevin kindly sent me a schematic of the control unit. I believe the battery meter needs a hot 12v connection for the meter to activate. Since there's a loose blue wire not attached to anything, I'm thinking it must connect to the yellow wire coming out from behind the walls which is a hot wire.

will experiment today. While control unit is out, I will use my dremel to clean off the rust & such.

Great forum and grateful for the help.

Ken
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ken,

There is no yellow wire feeding into the CP (mine that is). The yellow wire feeds circuit #2, but it does not come in to the CP housing with all the gauges. I was not able to get in behind my CP to get a detailed look, but the cut (blue) wire in your photograph appears to feed the on/off switch located beside the Battery Meter. The loose (blue) wire power may go to the Panel Light Switch, or the possibly the Water Pump Switch.

I will try to get a better look before I leave today.

Best of luck,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Problem Solved

My neighbor friend helped me figure this out - there were a couple reasons the battery meter didn't work.

1) the short red wire from the terminal to the gauge was shorted out. I replaced the wire and first cleaned the terminal.

2) The loose blue wire was the power wire to the battery meter - we hooked it up to the hot wire on the back side of the fuse.

It works!!!