Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The 35 cent fix!

My air conditioner/heat pump went kapooie last week.

And I just spent a boatload of money - and paid off the new tow vehicle 4 years ahead of schedule... and it's getting cold as hell... and it blew up the thermostat too so the wretched furnace won't work.

So I got out the trusty space heaters, plugged them in and started seriously pouting. I bought the Eddie Bauer used, and when I went to pick it up at Colonial, I stepped inside and there was compressor oil all over the floor. The next morning the service department took another air conditioner off of a new Airstream and installed it in mine so I could get back home on schedule. The original was a 13,500 BTU unit, and that is what they replaced it with. Wasn't too crazy about that and figured I'd eventually have to replace it with a 15,000 BTU unit, but surprisingly the smaller one worked well even in 95 degree weather. I did have problems with the thermostat wiring getting wet - they used a phone jack connection - duh., but I got that resolved finally. So I'm stewing knowing what the replacement cost would likely be - and how inconvenient it will be having to have it done in freezing December.

I just let it go - and muddled along with the space heaters for a couple of days... then a random thought hit me. I checked the circuit breaker again... and wait for it... Thought, AND THE THERMOSTAT WENT BLANK....

is the thermostat on the same circuit breaker as the a/c heat pump? or
(kneeling in prayer in front of the fuse panel reading the schematic)
12 volt
thermostat - slot 10, 15 amp blade fuse

could it be?
visual check - looks OK, but?

Of course I don't have any spare fuses, but what the heck. Pulled the 15 amp fuse for the fantastic fan and swapped it with the thermostat's fuse. And TA-DA, turned on the heat pump and did the happy dance.

Went to the auto parts store and bought spare 15 amp and 30 amp blade fuses, about 35 cents per fuse.

True joy - not spending $100 for a service call and feeling like an idiot when the tech found the problem. Moral of the story, don't be afraid to spend money to keep things in good repair, but never underestimate your own ability to logically eliminate the simple stuff before you panic, embarass yourself and waste money.

With WARM regards, Toasty Paula
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Good job Paula.

Hi, in my many years working on cars, I trained myself and fellow mechanics to not over think problems with these cars. Always start with the simplest things first no matter how much you think that it is not the problem.

Note: also don't overlook the thermostat either, some have batteries in them, mine does.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Don't you just love it when the answer to a problem just dawns on you out of the blue? It is like a gift from the sub conscious mind...
Nice find!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

And I just spent a boatload of money - and paid off the new tow vehicle 4 years ahead of schedule... and it's getting cold as hell... and it blew up the thermostat too so the wretched furnace won't work.

So I got out the trusty space heaters, plugged them in and started seriously pouting. I bought the Eddie Bauer used, and when I went to pick it up at Colonial, I stepped inside and there was compressor oil all over the floor. The next morning the service department took another air conditioner off of a new Airstream and installed it in mine so I could get back home on schedule. The original was a 13,500 BTU unit, and that is what they replaced it with. Wasn't too crazy about that and figured I'd eventually have to replace it with a 15,000 BTU unit, but surprisingly the smaller one worked well even in 95 degree weather. I did have problems with the thermostat wiring getting wet - they used a phone jack connection - duh., but I got that resolved finally. So I'm stewing knowing what the replacement cost would likely be - and how inconvenient it will be having to have it done in freezing December.

I just let it go - and muddled along with the space heaters for a couple of days... then a random thought hit me. I checked the circuit breaker again... and wait for it... Thought, AND THE THERMOSTAT WENT BLANK....

12 volt

could it be?

Of course I don't have any spare fuses, but what the heck. Pulled the 15 amp fuse for the fantastic fan and swapped it with the thermostat's fuse. And TA-DA, turned on the heat pump and did the happy dance.

Went to the auto parts store and bought spare 15 amp and 30 amp blade fuses, about 35 cents per fuse.

True joy - not spending $100 for a service call and feeling like an idiot when the tech found the problem. Moral of the story, don't be afraid to spend money to keep things in good repair, but never underestimate your own ability to logically eliminate the simple stuff before you panic, embarass yourself and waste money.

Paula. That's great you got your heat pump working ,as a retired auto tech when a fuse blows there is a reason, either the circuit got overloaded or there was a short circuit to ground . For the circuit to get overloaded this usually happens when someone adds to the original (circuit) design of the trailer ( aftermarket alarms,light, power outlet , etc.) the other that causes the fuse to blow is short circuit this happens when a wire rubs through wire insulation to the ground such as trailer sheet metal, frame etc, or if water gets into a connector and there is a positive and negative wire in the same connector,as water is conductive it cause a short circuit and blows the fuse . In my 34 years of automotive experience I have never seen a defective fuse. Your problem can be intermittent as when the trailer bounces on the road and the wire shorts to ground, it can also happen as temp changes and cause expansion or contraction of a wire or when it's rains . The last thing that could cause the fuse to blow is a defective component ( thermostat etc...). Sorry to be negative but I was just trying to help hopefully the heat pump will work all winter and if the problem happens again hopefully in the warmer weather someone could have a look at it.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Maybe that automotive course paid off afterall?????????????
Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have seen many fuses die from old age, vibration, fatigue etc. Often they will develop invisible cracks in the fuse element.

I don't trouble shoot unless the fuse looks like a violent failure, or the second one goes.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Sometimes you just have to sit in front of it, fangs out, and stare......I'm glad the fuse blinked.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Update for SCAMP

Thought about your comment that fuses don't generally blow for no reason and pulled my "bad" fuse out of the trash, then reinstalled it.

It worked.

The thing must have just been loose, though it sure wasn't easy to get out. Also I might have had a little corrosion on the terminals that pulling it and replacing it cleaned off.

So I still don't think I wasted $.35 because I have plenty of spares. I did take the time to stow them in the space above the converter so I can find them if I ever need them.

Paula
Old 04-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Paula, When a fuse blows there is no mistaking what went down. Big gap of missing metal along with signs of smoke are the norm. A "can't see anything wrong with it"like you described in you first post is not a blown fuse. Vibration metal fatigue most likely cause a crack that broke the circuit and killed the fuse. The symptoms you described at the start, trading out with another fuse just to see because there did not appear to be any fault with the suspect fuse, are not indicative of a blown overloaded fuse.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There are replacement blade fuses made that have an LED built in to indicate a blown fuse. This assumes some sort of turned on load to light the LED if the fuse blows. Cost more, but worth it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
learned that the hard way as well.. they can "look" good and be bad. best way to check is use multimeter on continuity setting. most of the time that works well.. (best way is to use a megohmmeter but they are pricy) and ALWAYS have spare fuses for every thing in the coach and truck, which is the some for you..

big pat on back and a glass of wine to celebrate the victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

12 volt

could it be?

WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote