Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Smoke detector

We took our new Bambi for its first trip last weekend to a nice state park just south of Sarasota, Florida. Our only problem was the smoke detector. It would go off simultaneously with the gas stove burners igniting.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution? My solution is just to disconnect the darn, pesky thing.

Ed
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smoke dectector

You are right, the smoke detector is a pain in a small trailer.

Starting the stove vent fan before "lighting up" will usually prevent the alarm. I put a resistor on my vent fan to make it two-speed. The lower speed on mine will prevent alarms.

My alarm has an override button that silences it for a few minutes; long enough to make breakfast.

Best solution, though, is a lady's plastic shower cap. Just snap it on to the detector when you are going to cook. Voila! No alarms. Don't forget to remove it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mine does it with the oven too.

I just yanked the battery and replaced it when I was done cooking, but the other trick with the shower cap I am going to try.

One other suggestion is that following the laws of physics, heat rises. An additional helper would be, if possible, to have the roof vents fully open.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks/grammercies for the information on this thread, a job well met. My smoke detector shrieks (quite un-nerving) when I fry sausage/bacon with both FFs/stove exhaust fan operating and windows and door open. I will give your shower cap suggestion a try. The alarm also sounded off when a voltive candle burnt out in the early AM. There was no alarm when the tea candles burnt out.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
As as they say, heat/smoke rise. My 25 Safari did the same thing in the beginning. Just keep a top vent open or a side window when you use the stove. After a while it will be automatic The problem with removing the batteries or the cover is the risk of forgetting to replace them. What also happens is that the oxygen quickly gets sucked up in such small quarters, and could set off the carbon monoxide alarm.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote