Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Should I get rid of my appliances?

I am considering getting rid of my refrigerator, stove, wall oven, 8 track tape player and radio, and perhaps the heater. I have a '72 (I think) 31 footer, I think... that we just got but have not picked up yet.

My considerations are these:
I would rather have a little two burner propane stove that can be used inside or out; those little units you see at nice restaurant buffets when they make you a special omlet. I like the idea of a small 12 volt chest refrigerator, the size of an ice chest. We won't use the oven at all. We might be equally or even more comfortable with one or two of the new little propane catalytic wall mount heaters and they may be more efficient...

We can convert all the space where these appliances are to more storage space which we will certainly use, instead of appliances which we will use little or none. We will put in shelving and tambour doors to match the rest of the Airstream.

We wonder if there is any market for these appliances. They all seem to work well and they all work fine according to the sellers.

We paid very little for our Airstream and we are not prone to restoration. We do plan to redo the inside quite a bit to fit our color tastes; new carpet, drapes, upholstery, etc.

BEFORE... I put them up for sale or start removing them -- I'd like some feedback from you experienced folks. IF there is a market for them, I'd like to know where I can submit model numbers, do tests on the equipment, and submit pictures of them.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have been in the progress of replacing the stove furnace, and refer in our coach due to failure and the prior owner removing them. The 12 volt refer boxes do draw a lot of power to keep stuff cold. This would not be a problem while trailering or plugged in, but if you plan to boondock this could kill the batteries fast. You may want to look into replacing the current refer with a smaller model that you could intstall in a cabinet so it is at a comfortable level and use the space underneath for storage. By removing the furnace and installing catylic heaters you will stay warm, but will not have any heat going to the holding tanks or plumbing. This is not an issue if you plan on only warm weather camping. But if the weather will get below freezing for more than a few hours you could be in trouble. If space on the kitchen counters is an issue and you remove the stove I would reccomend a small 2 burner in counter cook top from kitchenaid. It is only 15 inches wide. The portable cook stoves have a very low BTU output on the burners and can take forever to cook some items.

As to reselling the items you take out, I am sure there is a market for them, but as alwyas it is finding someone near you that wants what you have. You may want to try ebay?

keep us posted on the renovations and if you can post pictures. we all love to see what each other has done to their coaches.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

VERY good points!

Do you know a source for smaller propane/electric refrigerators?

I will keep that BTU issue in mind and do more checking!!!

I'll keep the original heater based on this information! I may add one or two small cat heaters though as my partner Kate, is prone to chilliness!

We plan to do a LOT of discussion here before we do things and then we will post pics for discussion as we do stuff.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I would try it the way it is a few times. 31 feet is a lot of space, might not be as cramped as you think. There is a lot of space which can be used for storage once you get used to it and discover all the nooks and crannies.

The small dc coolers are marginal in my experience, I gave the one I had away. Hot summer days and it was lukewarm. Small propane bottles are expensive, have to be safely stored, and always seem to run out at the wrong time. The small catalytic heaters are nice as a supplement, but as Brett said they will not keep your tanks from freezing.

Look at how much actual storage space you will gain by removing these items, where you will store the replacements, and if it will be that much gain overall.

I would consider how much storage space is in the smaller refrigerators. They fill up (and empty out) pretty quickly compared to what we are used to in our homes. They do not cool as efficently as a compressor model, and it seems logical that the larger volume (and greater contents) would not be as affected by door openings as the smaller ones.

I doubt if there would be much of a market for the appliances other than very near to you. Their weight would make shipping very expensive (they would have to go by truck, which means crated and palletized), and the age would make them suspect as to life expectancy. There are some people who want all original, but most are going to go with a new appliance over one that is 30 years old.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hmmmmm... I am very glad to read these comments!!!

Good points!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:29 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
On the refer you can check out sizes at Camping World or if you can get a catalog they have a size matrix in it. Here is a link to dometic's site and small refers with dimentions:

http://www.dometicusa.com/products/r...c/compact.html

The new refer I bought I got at Camping world, join their President's Club and you get 10% off everything you buy. I saved over $100.00 on my refer. If there is no CW near you, you can all ways search the web. Stay with Norcold or Dometic. They have been around forever and you will be able to get parts, Etc. Also my reccomendation is to stay away from the Dometic Americana Line. The refer and frigde temps are fixed at the factory and cannot be adjusted. I feel that you need to adjust your temps based on the usage and weather you will be using the rig in.

Here is a link to an online souce for the kitchenaid cooktop.

http://www.universal-akb.com/kitaid15gasc.html

I have not completed this project yet and am using a plug in hot plate until I get the nickels saved. There is also one available through West marine that is the same as the one they are using in the new Airstream trailers.

here is that link: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/com...110876&outlet=

and : http://www.seawardproducts.com/2276.htm

I hope I am overwhelming you but I had hoped all my searching could help someone else! Options, Options, Options, Make it yours!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-18-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Talking Your kidding, right?

As an experienced folk if you feel you need to remove these items to get more storage space then you have a storage space problem, as mentioned 31 feet is a good sized trailer. They dont get much bigger unless you go to a 5th wheel. When it comes time to sell you wont get much for it without appliances and appliances that work, but you didnt pay much to begin with.

catalytic heaters are fine for fall nights but when it gets cold you will need a heater to circulate hot air.

A 12v cooler is not meant to replace a fridge, keyword: cooler. Eating improperly kept food will ruin your weekend quicker than you can say puke.

Get real, how much space does a radio take?

You will need that oven & 4 burners when it rains.

It sounds like this trailer is not really for you, my suggestion is to sell it and get something more inline with your taste, a tent perhaps.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

John, I'm just a newbie and don't know nuttin' yet... these are good points and I hope to be a good student of all you folks who have been down this road and KNOW! Besides my old bones and back are not good in tents any more. That is my experience however, very perceptive of you.

Thanks! I'm off to the links!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:50 AM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Appliances

Mr. Jody...Hi, it's "Cat" , we're all over the net aren't we? & that's good,but it's nice to run into you here. I see you're getting lots of good advice. Good place for it.

Did you come here from my referral? (just curious),,, If so, I'm pleased that you did.

You are in good company. I think John's comments re the appliances (last post above mine on this 'thread'), was most accurate...the weight and shipping and age (becoming worn-out) might circumvent your getting many offers or even interest. I have another site where you could 'advertise' them online. I'll send it to you tomorrow.
Let us know if you get photos to download of them.
..........Cat
Old 07-19-2002, 01:57 AM   #10
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Cool 8-Track Radio/Tape Player

Well...John, an 8-Track radio/tape player may not take up much space...but, quite interestingly John, I had a better idea for the 'space' it took up in my rig. Trapazoid lucite coke-bottle green edged LUCITE CD/DVD shelving!

In Mr. Jody's defense...I think it has something to do with 'whatever floats your boat'...
Cat
Old 07-19-2002, 07:41 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

appliance removal

removing the cook stove is an ideal I thought was crasy until I bought a 87 soverign last mounth...the trailer was put togeather for a airstream employee..and he had it built with a cov-microwave built into stove space and a solid counter to the sink...its really nice to have the room and looks great.I also have a 75 overlander..and nothing heats up the trailer more in the summer than a gas stove..i cook out side on nice days on portable gas burner and bring it inside to counter on bad days...
harbor freight company sells the portable burners in one or two eye with manual or self start...j c whitney sell a small two burner or three burner stove that is a permanent mount stove that really looks great for $80.00 and $90.00...takes up little space...think about it.............
TOM BOONE 1987 SOVEREIGN 25' WBCCI#14120
tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The Oven

When we first bought our AS, my wife could not believe it had an oven in it. "Why would anyone want an oven in a camper?" she asked. After using it a few times, she loves it now. Now every trip has meals planned that involve using the oven. It really does not seem to heat the inside up much, but it may even help keep the inside warmer during a cold spell. We like using it for "breakfast pizzas" on cold mornings. We use the oven more than the microwave, because it uses propane and not electricity, but then we seem to frequent places that have no electric sites. I think you can also use it for broiling, but we have not attempted that yet.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

This is VALUABLE discussion folks.

Cat, I found this site and registered before you referred me. However, since you referred me I came here and posted.

Mostly because this site is Sooooooooooo much easier to use on a slow telephone line. Also, I strongly prefer Jelsoft and EZboard to the other forum software, especially on phone line modems.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:36 PM   #14
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Sources for Appliances...

www.rvtoyz.com has some GREAT prices and quick shipping!
www.palominorv.com bulds trailers and gets appliances wholesale. I found them after searching eBay. They will sell to the public at a small profit. VERY GOOD PRICES!!!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jody,
I tent camped for 30 yrs. while deer hunting and experienced everything for extremely hot inside to below 14 degrees when I got up in the morning. Then there were the rain storms that folded my previous 3 tents every which way it could. I think during one storm I had 7 pots out to catch dripping water. I really appreciated the time I was awakened by an aluminum tent pole to the side of the head and a mist of water. One side of the tent had folded. There I was at 1:45 a.m. in my underwear tying a tent pole to a nearby camper. All I needed was a bar of soap for a shower! All this stopped when I purchased a Cabela's Alaskan Guide model tent. I have used a 2,000-5,000 BTU Coleman catalytic heater in tents for years with an 11 lb. tank. It has come in handy for both my 2 and 3 burner propane stoves which I occasionally take with me when I decide to cook outside the Excella on a campground table.

I bought my 31' Excella 500 15 months ago and used the above mentioned catalytic heater several times before mounting an Olympic Wave 6 heater I purchased from Camping World. I plumbed into the existing propane/electric refrigerator. I now have the ability to move my Coleman to the center for extra heat in addition to the front mounted Wave 6. But let's don't stop there, my existing 12 volt Suburban in the Excella was rebuilt and helps circulate heat coming from the catalytic heater(s). Some on this board, like myself, use the catalytics and set the furnace at a lower setting to save on the batteries when boondocking.

After saying all this, my point is why mess with the existing systems. Add what you want, lord there is all kinds of storage space, and use whichever system you want. As far as the oven goes, dinner rolls and/or biscuits are pretty darn hard to make on a propane stove unless you use one of those fold up alum. jobs which sit on top the the stove. Last comment, the oven is just sitting there, store stuff in there if you are not going to use it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Lots of good points!

Now that you folks have fully changed my direction -- to keep all the appliances and making them all as like-new as possible, I am looking forward to finding and installing new refrigerator gaskets, etc.

I like the idea of using the oven as added storage. Kate, my partner, eats a lot of pretzels, bagels, crackers, cereals and such. The oven may be a great place to store all that stuff and help keep it fresher!

I remember those days in the tents. I finally opted for bivy camping (where the sleeping bag becomes the tent and thus can't fall on you).

Old 07-19-2002, 08:03 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
When we full timed in our 1977 Soverign we used the oven as the bread box and chip storage. It stops all the stuff from getting crushed and mushed and keeps the counters clear. Glad to hear you gave it a good thinking thru. When you get ready to replace the refer I suggest you remove it first and measure it 6 way to sunday befor you buy a new one. Since your current refer was designed they have changed where they put some of the coils etc. I ran into a problem due to height and the curve of the wall.so do lots of research before you buy regarding size! For the compete story go here.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=check+check
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-19-2002, 08:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

As far as I can tell Bret, the refrigerator gets good and cold, but could use some fresh gaskets around the door. It may need other stuff as well... I'm SURE I'll be seeking more help here, once I pick up our new AS and bring it home where we can get to work on it.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Appliances?

I say keep whatever you can...not compromising the original design anymore than you have to. Like many RVers, I use a 'toaster-over' for most of my cooking ... and also have a good quality single burner 'hotplate' (thermostatically controlled --- like an electric fry pan), and use the propane oven to store them in when I'm not using them (to save on countertop space.

Speaking of countertop space...I had fillers for my sink-holes made with 'laminated' cutting board on one side. The 'tops' are made with 'double-faced' matching (the countertops) formica, with 1/2-moon holes to lift them with...and also to use to scrape 'cuttings' of veggies, off the cutting boards when prepping food. (I'm a major saute-cooking fan). I'm sure most people have these...and I had them with the old galley...but the way I've designed these are fairly unique I think.

I apologize about not having photos yet. I'm operating on a very thin shoe-string and don't have a digital camera yet. Patience my friends...patience...they will be downloaded soon.

......Cat
Old 07-20-2002, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Cat,
I've been wanting to get those sink covers that match the formica counter top. Anyone know a source for these that come close to matching the off-white counter in the '77 Excella 500? Did you give my message to your friend with the '77 who has the same basic floorplan as mine? Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote