Old 07-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jody,
I tent camped for 30 yrs. while deer hunting and experienced everything for extremely hot inside to below 14 degrees when I got up in the morning. Then there were the rain storms that folded my previous 3 tents every which way it could. I think during one storm I had 7 pots out to catch dripping water. I really appreciated the time I was awakened by an aluminum tent pole to the side of the head and a mist of water. One side of the tent had folded. There I was at 1:45 a.m. in my underwear tying a tent pole to a nearby camper. All I needed was a bar of soap for a shower! All this stopped when I purchased a Cabela's Alaskan Guide model tent. I have used a 2,000-5,000 BTU Coleman catalytic heater in tents for years with an 11 lb. tank. It has come in handy for both my 2 and 3 burner propane stoves which I occasionally take with me when I decide to cook outside the Excella on a campground table.

I bought my 31' Excella 500 15 months ago and used the above mentioned catalytic heater several times before mounting an Olympic Wave 6 heater I purchased from Camping World. I plumbed into the existing propane/electric refrigerator. I now have the ability to move my Coleman to the center for extra heat in addition to the front mounted Wave 6. But let's don't stop there, my existing 12 volt Suburban in the Excella was rebuilt and helps circulate heat coming from the catalytic heater(s). Some on this board, like myself, use the catalytics and set the furnace at a lower setting to save on the batteries when boondocking.

After saying all this, my point is why mess with the existing systems. Add what you want, lord there is all kinds of storage space, and use whichever system you want. As far as the oven goes, dinner rolls and/or biscuits are pretty darn hard to make on a propane stove unless you use one of those fold up alum. jobs which sit on top the the stove. Last comment, the oven is just sitting there, store stuff in there if you are not going to use it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Lots of good points!

Now that you folks have fully changed my direction -- to keep all the appliances and making them all as like-new as possible, I am looking forward to finding and installing new refrigerator gaskets, etc.

I like the idea of using the oven as added storage. Kate, my partner, eats a lot of pretzels, bagels, crackers, cereals and such. The oven may be a great place to store all that stuff and help keep it fresher!

I remember those days in the tents. I finally opted for bivy camping (where the sleeping bag becomes the tent and thus can't fall on you).

Old 07-19-2002, 09:03 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
When we full timed in our 1977 Soverign we used the oven as the bread box and chip storage. It stops all the stuff from getting crushed and mushed and keeps the counters clear. Glad to hear you gave it a good thinking thru. When you get ready to replace the refer I suggest you remove it first and measure it 6 way to sunday befor you buy a new one. Since your current refer was designed they have changed where they put some of the coils etc. I ran into a problem due to height and the curve of the wall.so do lots of research before you buy regarding size! For the compete story go here.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=check+check
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 09:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

As far as I can tell Bret, the refrigerator gets good and cold, but could use some fresh gaskets around the door. It may need other stuff as well... I'm SURE I'll be seeking more help here, once I pick up our new AS and bring it home where we can get to work on it.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:01 AM   #19
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Appliances?

I say keep whatever you can...not compromising the original design anymore than you have to. Like many RVers, I use a 'toaster-over' for most of my cooking ... and also have a good quality single burner 'hotplate' (thermostatically controlled --- like an electric fry pan), and use the propane oven to store them in when I'm not using them (to save on countertop space.

Speaking of countertop space...I had fillers for my sink-holes made with 'laminated' cutting board on one side. The 'tops' are made with 'double-faced' matching (the countertops) formica, with 1/2-moon holes to lift them with...and also to use to scrape 'cuttings' of veggies, off the cutting boards when prepping food. (I'm a major saute-cooking fan). I'm sure most people have these...and I had them with the old galley...but the way I've designed these are fairly unique I think.

I apologize about not having photos yet. I'm operating on a very thin shoe-string and don't have a digital camera yet. Patience my friends...patience...they will be downloaded soon.

......Cat
Old 07-20-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Cat,
I've been wanting to get those sink covers that match the formica counter top. Anyone know a source for these that come close to matching the off-white counter in the '77 Excella 500? Did you give my message to your friend with the '77 who has the same basic floorplan as mine? Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:21 AM   #21
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Craig...

I will do it tomorrow...late late late..
thanks for reminding me....and I'll also comment on the sink covers... I think what I'll tell you will make it for ya...

......Cat
P.S. I was very pleased to read our "newbie" Jody has decided to keep his appliances. I think he'll be very glad he did.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Jody,

Responding to your original post .. I would not remove the appliances. That's what makes a travel trailer nice. Just spent a night in rustic state forest campgound on Lake Michigan. Walked to the lake, watched the sun set, bbq's and cooked rice on the stove for a nice dinner, then took a hot shower to get the bug spray off, enjoyed a couple cold brews out of the fridge. Not bad for rustic camping eh?

If you decide to go ahead, I'd be interested in your 8 track. Also, may be interested in your range and gas oven, the 345 only has the electric microwave and convection oven, I refuse to run the generator to keep the pancakes warm in the morning ..

Send me a personal message on the forum.

Jim