Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Safari 27 FB Sink Sprayer keeps breaking

The Sink Sprayer on my kitchen sink keeps breaking. It breaks on the inside seam (the whole thing is plastic)....the seam, not on the chrome like handle, but inside on the pressure tube, splits just a hair and wah-lah..leak city. I've had the Moen people send me Two complete sink kits just to replace the screw on spray handle...each time having to return the unused kit components to the Airstream Dealer. I have been looking around for a better built sprayer, went to Home Depot last weekend and bought a universal sprayer, gonna try that and see if it will fit the hose. But I'm not going to spend over $100 bucks on a complete kitchen sink faucet set just for a better spray handle. Anyone else had this happen? If so, what was your fix, it you found one?
I tried JB Weld on the seam, figured it was such a hairline split it might work but that didn't do it. Silicon too..didn't do it. IF I can't lick this culprit I'm going to remove the sprayer unit and plug the hose hole
Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
My sink spray nozzle froze during the winter last years because I didn't drain it sufficiently. I hope to have done better this year. I think a new one cost me 3 or 4 dollars at a home store. Other than that, no problems with it.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
My sink spray nozzle froze during the winter last years because I didn't drain it sufficiently.
Ours split last spring and I assumed it froze for the same reason as Jack's. Maybe it was just because it's a piece of garbage.

It was replaced under warranty.

We never use it since it is unnecessary to wash dishes. I thought of cutting the hose at the bottom and putting a drain in or just cutting it and stubbing it, but didn't. When the sprayer broke, it didn't leak unless we tried to use it, so it really wasn't a problem. We made sure to run antifreeze into it this year (and the toilet too, another story).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Buy it for looks, buy it for life.

Back in 1995 Airstream used Moen faucets with spray heads. Moen faucets are warranted for life. Airstream should go back to installing quality fixtures.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This is a Moen faucet with spray head. I guess you can buy crap from them too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I second that!
The cost of labor to fix this most likely exceeds the cost of the fixture, so if you have to repair/ replace it under warrantee you have lost whatever profit was generated from the original sale.
I work in a cabinet shop, and we used to use a drawer slide from a well known, quality-oriented manufacturer. At some time in the 90's the slides started to fail so we called on the manufacturer to replace them as defective. They would stand behind their product, but we discovered that it takes about $150.00 in labor and transportation to replace the slide, which is a $10.00 item. After replacing about ten slides we decided to switch to a more expensive slide from a different manufacturer. It was well worth it. We have not replaced a slide for being defective in years. We are able to charge a little more for these better slides, and we keep the profit.

Rich the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Back in 1995 Airstream used Moen faucets with spray heads. Moen faucets are warranted for life. Airstream should go back to installing quality fixtures.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote