Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Range Hood and Cabinet Removal

I've searched and looked and tried to find info on removing my range hood and the cabinet it's in, to do a whole remodel of the trailer. I have a '72 Overlander. It seems that the vent housing is rivited into the cabinet, and the hood is built around the hole for the cab... Do I really need to destroy the hood by bending up all the tabs trying to get the cab out? The vent on the out side looks as if it has been soldered to the out skin I'd like to keep the hood and use it in my next cab, but want to remove the cabinet that is in there now...

Can anyone help me out? Anyone know how to remove the Range hood and Cabinet? It's the last thing hanging on the interior of my A/S....

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
http://toddcreatedwood.blogspot.com/
TPdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I am pretty disappointed. I just looked through my owners manual and it has nothing about removal of the exhaust vent. I am going to my trailer in the morning and I'll check mine. It is almost the only thing left on my interior. I'll inspect and get pictures. If I can figure it out, I'll let you know.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
South East Idaho , South East Idaho
I just droped the cabnet with the hood on my 67 Safarie. I found a screw under the out side hood that when taken out the fan tube would drop out, releasing the hood unit.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
hood info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad67 View Post
I just droped the cabnet with the hood on my 67 Safarie. I found a screw under the out side hood that when taken out the fan tube would drop out, releasing the hood unit.
Grad67, Welcome to the forums and thanks for the useful information. I am sure this will help all who are removing their cabinets during interior refurbishments. This is the type help that is so great here on the forums. Thanks again for the timely first post and I wish you many more! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Since you are talking about the vent hood, I will ask how do you turn it on. I am restoring my 72 model and am close to completion but don't know how the electrical system is hooked up. There is a lever in the cabinet that does not seem to be functional. I assume it is for the damper but can't figure it out. Does it have a 12 volt motor or is it 110v?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

The lever in the cabinet is attached to a cable that opens the vent lid,when the lid opens a certain distance the 12v vent turns on automaticaly. Two common issues with the vent is the lid sticking to the outside gasket and the cable to the lid corroding. You can take the filter off the bottom of the locker and you should be able to see the vent tube.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Grad67, Welcome to the forums and thanks for the useful information. I am sure this will help all who are removing their cabinets during interior refurbishments. This is the type help that is so great here on the forums. Thanks again for the timely first post and I wish you many more! Happy Trails, Ed
Thanks Ed, I am having fun tearing into the Safarie and reaping the benifits from this forum. Your a great bunch! A neighbor came by and saw the mess I was in. He said do you know what your doing? I said NO. But I just go to the internet and I find what to do.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks for the great replys everyone. I'll be home from Thanks Giving away, today, and I'll check out what more I can see on the vent hood. I'll let you know how it goes.
I've posted a gallery of my renovation on my web site. You can find it on the Furniture side of my site listed below.
Thanks agian.

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
I figured it out. There was no screw under the vent cover on the outside, and it hadn't been soldered. It was vulkened... And then painted. the rubber was old enough it had hardened. I removed the sealer, and then just gave the hood a little jiggling and twisting, it walked it's way out very slowly. It was a very tight fit. The cabinet came out easily after the hood was removed. Thanks for the help. I hope this can help any one else that needs to replace their hood in the future.

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Glad to hear your sucess. I hate those greasy things any way.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
(old post revival) To remove my range hood and cabinet, I disconnected the electrical connections and drilled out the rivets holding the cabinet in place. The range hood and cabinet came out as a unit. After rebuilding the cabinet, I attached the range hood to the cabinet and then fit the hood exhaust into the hole and attached the cabinet to the wall. This method ensured that the exhaust would hit the hole, mine was a tight fit.