Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

purchasing

I am looking at a 1968 overlander. The refrigerator and furnace do not work but are original. I am not too good at taking out appliances etc. Is is more prudent to buy an airstream with working appliances?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Purchasing

Greetings Jackie!

This is one area where originality isn't necessarily best (IMHO). The main appliances - - furnace, water heater, refrigerator, and air conditioner are all beyond their normal expected service life so any time that they are operable is a bonus but might be considered "borrowed time". I wouldn't suggest, however, that you pass on a coach just because of needed appliance replacements - - if the price can be negotiated to reflect the needed replacements. I have replaced all of the mentioned appliances on my '64 Overlander since purchasing it eight years ago - - or I should say that they have been replaced by Ace Fogdall RV my "nearby" Airstream dealer - - I am a klutz as well when it comes to major appliance repairs. To give you an idea of cost involved:

1.) New Dometic 3-Way RV refrigerator $1,245.00 installed with some minor cabinet modification and running wiring for 12-volt operation which for me was an absolute necessity for me as I refuse to travel with the refrigerator in propane mode.

2.) New Suburban furnace with electronic ignition. The installed price was approximately $575.00.

3.) New water heater (manual pilot ignition). The installed price was approximately $400.00.

4.) New Coleman air conditioner (did not include internal drain pan as they were not available for this model). The installed price was approximately $575.00.

Also be aware that with a Vintage coach that you may be facing the replacement of the Univolt (power converter) approximate cost $500.00 as well as the water pump approximate cost about $225.00 (PAR pump) - - both installed by dealer.

Don't be discouraged if the coach needs these repairs if it is otherwise sound. The plus of having these appliances replaced after your purchase is that you will have the manufactureres warranty coverage for a period of one to three years on each of the appliances. Careful inspection of the coach and a negotiated price that reflects necessary repairs could actually result in a good buy.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thank-you. That is excellent information. I thought the appliances may be
on "borrowed time". There is no dealer in Nebraska, but should I need to replace these appliances, it seems there are plenty of options to purchase them - then I find a reputable place to go from there.
Again, thank-you
Old 01-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Purchasing

Greetings Jackie!

You may actually be nearly as close to Ace Fogdal RV as I am. They are located in Northwestern Iowa just off of US 20 in the city of Cedar Falls. I have such respect for the quality of their service department that I gladly travel the four hours to get to their dealership for repairs - - and they are very Vintage friendly.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Does Ace Fogdal sell airstreams as well?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
a/c replacement

OV64,

I was faced with the problem of getting my Coleman replacement unit to drain through the skin on my Minuet as well. I went through a bunch of trouble fabricating an internal plumbed drain pan which seems to work just fine. But my local A/S dealer showed me (after I had already done it myself) a plastic pan which is installed beneath the Coleman unit which catches the condensate and has a stub where you connect the internal drain. It would have saved me a bunch of work and only costs about $75. I used a Coleman because I can get real good prices on them, I am a licnsed a/c guy and my local a/c jobber is a buddy and a Coleman dealer, so i went with the Coleman unit.

Chas
Old 01-02-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yes they do sell new and used Airstreams.

Here is a link to their web site:

Ace Fogdall

I have purchased 2 used units from them and I still buy many of my parts there even though I live in Florida.

I would do business again on a new or used unit from them in a heartbeat.

If they still do it the same way you will need to be prepared to make 2 trips. Trip one is to pick out the unit and work out the price, and arrange payment. The second trip is to pick it up a week or so later. This is because AFTER you work out the deal they go thru the unit top to bottom and fix anything that needed attention. This was done on mine at no additional charge. They also do a once over with you to teach you the basics and will help you to get your towing hardware (ball and weight transfer bars) set right as well as tesing the brake controller.

Good luck on your search!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Plastic drip pan

I remember Andy@Inland saying the the plastic drip pan was designed to fit the Penguin/Duo-therm unit only.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Coleman does make a pan, but you have to find someone that knows where to look it up and order it. The duo therm ones are part of their standard product line and the part numbers are readily availble.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
ace fogdall

just taked to the service dept about drip pans for coleman ac . all they need to know is what ac you need it for and what air stream . they will order it for you. really nice group. first time customer.
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Buyer beware

I needed an LP kit, per A/S part#, for my trailer and I always get 3 quotes.

They were as follows:

Ace Fogdall $150
BT Camper $133
InlandRV $100

Just thought I'd past this along!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
AC DRIP PAN

THNX THAT IS WHAT FORUMS ARE FOR . I WANT TO CHANGE OUT BOTH OF MY AC S THIS SPRING . JUST WANTED TO FIND A SOURCE BEFORE I START. I M TOLD THAT IT IS NOT TO UNCOMMON FOR THE PANS TO BREAK DURING THE REMOVAL PROCESS. I DONT WANT WATER SPILLING OVER THE SIDE OF THE SILVER WENNIE.
AFTER A WHILE THE STREAK DOESNT COME OFF.
THNX AL
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote