Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Propane and Smoke Alarm replacements

I went down to winterize my Classic today and noticed I was getting the low battery chirps from the smoke alarm. It made me think, is there a life expectancy estimate for the smoke and propane detectors? Since my trailer was built in October of 2003, it may be time. I do know however that I still have to pull the smoke alarm down before using the toaster or it will alarm. I know on my home smoke detectors I replaced them at year 20. My neighbor suggested making a change and I was able to put up dual sensors that were ion and photo sensor enabled. I think the photo sensor units require wired electric. I'm assuming the Airstream unit is ion. Not sure what to do on the propane since I've never heard it go off (good).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think the recommendation for smoke detectors is 10 years. Don't know about propane

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Jack, now lets rule out the obvious low voltage man. They are 12 volt ya know. Maybe even 9 volt.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
The recommended life expectancy of a smoke detector is 87,000 hours (9 years, 340 days).

Propane detectors are 5-7 years (depends on the detector)

Also don't forget you have (or should have) a carbon monoxide detector which also has a life of 5-7 years depending on the manufacturer.

You can get battery powered dual technology smoke detectors, although they can be a little difficult to find at the big box stores.

A good alternative to taking the batteries out is to put a shower cap over it. I find it easier and it's pretty obvious so its harder to forget you've disabled it.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There's no point leaving the batteries in the detectors while the trailer is in storage and there's no one around to hear the alarm if it goes off.

The LPG detector is probably wired to your house batteries bypassing the use/store switch, so as long as the house batteries are connected it's active— unless you pull the detector's fuse.

The CO/Smoke detector may be powered only by disposable batteries. If so, pull the batteries. Batteries that go completely dead sometimes leak and ruin whatever device they're left in. But if yours is also wired to the house batteries with a disposable-battery backup, pull the fuse and the batteries.

The shower cap is a good idea to keep the alarm's sensor from getting dirty and making the detectors last longer, but it's no substitute for de-powering the detectors if the trailer is going to be in storage for months on end.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenen42 View Post
The recommended life expectancy of a smoke detector is 87,000 hours (9 years, 340 days).

Propane detectors are 5-7 years (depends on the detector)

Also don't forget you have (or should have) a carbon monoxide detector which also has a life of 5-7 years depending on the manufacturer.

You can get battery powered dual technology smoke detectors, although they can be a little difficult to find at the big box stores.

A good alternative to taking the batteries out is to put a shower cap over it. I find it easier and it's pretty obvious so its harder to forget you've disabled it.
Carbon Monoxide detectors weren't included in the 2004 trailers. I do have one at home though and I definitely know those have limited life spans. I'll probably shop all the detectors over the winter and do a replacement in the spring.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I replaced my bedroom to NEST. It connects to my WiFi when I am home. It also gives me status.

My Kitchen was still working, so I haven't replaced it. But when it breaks, it will be replaced by a NEST.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
When you replace the smoke detector, be sure to get a smoke detector that is UL 217 listed, as this ensures it is approved under NFPA 501C, smoke alarms intended for use in recreational vehicles.
https://standardscatalog.ul.com/stan...standard_217_8
Maximum life is 10 years, but we replace it at 7 to 8 years, of if the detector starts a "failed" beep.

We use a First Alert Z-combo (ZCOMBO-G), Smoke and CO, which includes a Z-Wave link the SmartThings hub in our trailer. It is listed to UL217 and UL2034 Standards. Our SmartThings system can alert us to an alarm when we are away from the trailer. For security, we also have motion detectors that work with the same hub.

We replaced the CO/LP detector near the floor in front of our closet, across from the refrigerator with: Marine Technologies 25-741-WT White Surface Mount, Safe-T-Alert Combination Dual Carbon Monoxide/LP Gas Alarm
It is powered directly from the batteries before the kill switch (1A fuse holder). Replace it every 5 years.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The shower cap is a good idea to keep the alarm's sensor from getting dirty and making the detectors last longer, but it's no substitute for de-powering the detectors if the trailer is going to be in storage for months on end.
Sorry, wasn't specific enough. I use the shower cap when I'm cooking to keep the alarm from going off. Definitely pull the batteries from everything over the winter.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
My 12volt LP/CO detecter started chirping at 5 years old. Without any thought I replaced it. The $100 was worth a good night sleep. A $10 battery smoke alarm takes even less thought.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The life of any of these detectors is a bit of a guess. The use environment (dust, dirt, grease ....) matters a lot. There is also a bit of variability unit to unit. Cheap ones seem to die a bit quicker than the rest. None of them last forever. If you get 10 years out of one, you are doing well. At anything over 12 years, you are very much on borrowed time ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote