Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Portable Ice Maker - Recommendations

What Brand of Portable Ice Maker do you recommend?
I am looking for feedback from persons who have used portable ice makers as to what brands/model have they enjoyed.
My intent is one sized optimally for two people, so bigger is not better.
And in the fun of banter that this forum excites, what are feedback comments from those that "would never Own one!"
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I got the Igloo ICE102ST. Got it for $99.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/05/got-some-ice.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
What Brand of Portable Ice Maker do you recommend?
I am looking for feedback from persons who have used portable ice makers as to what brands/model have they enjoyed.
My intent is one sized optimally for two people, so bigger is not better.
And in the fun of banter that this forum excites, what are feedback comments from those that "would never Own one!"

Funny story. I was in the Marines all last decade got out 2011. Went to Iraq and Afghan more times then I can count. In 2008 when I was there I was sick of being at these remote places with out anything cold to drink. So I bought a cheap Magic Chef Ice Maker model. In terms of size small ones make a surprisingly large amount of ice...like 10-20 pounds a day if you tend to it.

Let me tell you for the 50 guys at the FOB (Foward Operating Base) I was at this magical machine was like god had come down to the Earth. It was in continuous never ending use. Thing lasted for years. I looked like a idiot hand carrying this thing when we had to move around. Who cares though I had a magical ice machine in the land that time forgot!

Anyhow Magic Chef is not particularly known to be the greatest brand but mine worked for many years of harsh never ending abuse.

Some of the positives is its very fast from when you pour the water in the reservoir to when ice is being made.

The biggest negative I would say is once in a while you need to take it apart. It works very simply but the pump, housing that shuttle's water inside needs to be cleaned out. After like a year of use i had nothing to do took mine apart and there was scum everywhere.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Powerwiz---you are one cool dude! Thank you for your years of service to keep us all safe and sound.

Susan and Dave
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
Powerwiz---you are one cool dude! Thank you for your years of service to keep us all safe and sound.

Susan and Dave
No problem. I dont have a Airstream yet but most likely next year. It appeals greatly to my nomadic lifestyle.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
I have an Emerson purchased several years ago at Target. I wouldn't be without it. Almost never buy ice and we are Southerners who like LOTS of ice. It makes ice very quickly but it doesn't store the ice. When it fills up, I put the ice in gallon size ziploc bags and place them in the freezer. Storing it in the freezer also makes the cubes harder so they don't melt so fast.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Does Dometic make one to go in the freezer?

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Like FCStreamer, we have an Igloo icemaker. Ours is probably the same model. Got it for $99 at Sam's Club before the holidays. One of those things they stocked 2 years ago to help with holiday entertaining. It came in 3 or 4 colors including stainless steel, which we purchased. Used it for the first time in May and June on a 5 week trip. Ours doesn't make cubes. More like ice pellets & we prefer the larger size. The maker beeps when full. Won't make anymore until ice is removed. My one complaint is that it doesn't completely empty the water well to make ice. If it's not going to be used for a few days or traveling, we pull the plug on the bottom and drain it.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote