Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
New stove top?

Today I pulled out the Magic Chef range in my 79 Arogsy. Actually, I disconnected the gas line and and went to pull and lift to see where it was anchored in... it wasn't! Just slid right out!
Anyway, the stove is pretty much a mess, oven door sprung, the stainless is UGLY, etc....
I am wanting to put in just a stove top, but was wondering what the difference is between a drop in and a slide in.
Any opinions about what I should put in? Thanks to all!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
A slide out does what yours did slid out.

A drop in drops in a hole cut out in the countertop.

There should have been screws holding it in to the side of the cabinet in which it sits.

I think going back in with the same slide in is the better option. A new counter top would have to be installed to set in a drop in. Or fashion a stile across the front to hold it up.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you are just going to replace it with a burner unit you are going to have to add to the counter top. It is probably best just to replace the whole counter top if you are going that route. It might be easier to replace it with another oven.

MAGIC CHEF GAS RV RANGE - 16IN - 3 BURNER - BLACK- W/PIEZO CLY1620BDS - Clearance - Appliances

A slide in is what you have now. A drop in would be like a sink. It drops in a hole in the counter top.

I would check dimensions before ordering anything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We did the same thing in our '69 Airstream Trade Wind.

We traded our Range for a 3 burner slide in cooktop at RV Doctor George in Sacramento, CA. The best thing about the cooktop is the front burner is a high BTU unit, it will boil water at high altitude. We even got a folding cover for it making for a flat counter top.

That place is fun to browse. They have new and used stuff.
While I was there I spotted a new 46 gal holding tank that I'm going to install under the Trade Wind.

The cook top was the same width as the range so it slid right in but its about an inch short leaving a gap at the back. No problem I'll just make a filler panel out of sheet metal like the ones used in home installations.

I'll move the stile up and make a new cabinet door.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote